Liz earle shock.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Has anyone written to LE c/o Avon to ask them to clarify whether their products are completely free of animal testing and contain only natural ingredients etc in such a way that they can only give an equivocal reply? The answer might be revealing in one way or another.

I believe people have and been told yes they are.

But the thing people are unhappy about is:

Avon paid millions to buy Liz Earle which they did outright(Liz is just an employee who works 25 days a year for them), so she will have no say. I remember Bobbi Brown never had the metalic products and was very against them. Then Estee Lauder bought the company and suddenly Shimmerbrick etc came out. I was told on the quiet that she hated this but was paid to promote it, so toed the company line.

But at the end of the day Avon did not pay millions to buy a company and not get profits from it, so in the end they are making money and using it to no doubt make their own products. The new bath range is nothing like normal Liz Earle so you can see Avon's imput. This seems to be what many are having the problem with.

Urban Decay always had the bunny logo, they are owned by L'Oreal I believe(???), and the bunny logo is gone. Smashbox had it and approved by PETA but Estee Lauder own them and they have lost it.

If the parent company sells to the Chinese market they lose the bunny logo pretty quickly.

Has anyone written to LE c/o Avon to ask them to clarify whether their products are completely free of animal testing and contain only natural ingredients etc in such a way that they can only give an equivocal reply? The answer might be revealing in one way or another.

Statement from GoCrueltyFree.org website - http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/brands?keywords=liz+earle

"Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare is now available in over 90 countries worldwide. It’s broad range includes products suitable for every skin type. Founded in 1995, Liz Earle was bought by Avon in 2010. Avon is not approved under the Humane Cosmetics Standard"

I believe people have and been told yes they are.

But the thing people are unhappy about is:

Avon paid millions to buy Liz Earle which they did outright(Liz is just an employee who works 25 days a year for them), so she will have no say. I remember Bobbi Brown never had the metalic products and was very against them. Then Estee Lauder bought the company and suddenly Shimmerbrick etc came out. I was told on the quiet that she hated this but was paid to promote it, so toed the company line.

But at the end of the day Avon did not pay millions to buy a company and not get profits from it, so in the end they are making money and using it to no doubt make their own products. The new bath range is nothing like normal Liz Earle so you can see Avon's imput. This seems to be what many are having the problem with.

Urban Decay always had the bunny logo, they are owned by L'Oreal I believe(???), and the bunny logo is gone. Smashbox had it and approved by PETA but Estee Lauder own them and they have lost it.

If the parent company sells to the Chinese market they lose the bunny logo pretty quickly.

Urban Decay do still have cruelty free certification - http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/brands?keywords=urban+decay

Statement from the GoCrueltyFree.org website -
"Urban Decay
Edgy make-up brand known for their bright, alternative shades named for features of the urban landscape: Acid Rain, Smog, Demolition. Urban Decay products are available in Debenhams and House of Fraser. In 2012 Urban Decay was bought by L'Oréal. L'Oréal is not approved under the Humane Cosmetics Standard. "

Melvita are certified, but parent company L'occitane are no longer certified.

The same could be said for Uncle Ben's rice, Ford cars etc. brands grow, they become more than the individual, that's business.

I have no problem with LE selling the company, my problem is that for the past 4 yrs I thought I was supporting an ethical BRITISH company! When The Body Shop was sold it was on the national news so people knew who they were dealing with. QVC should have been more up front about it!

Liz Earle, Bellapierre and WEN are the only brands QVC sell that are certified cruelty free. I understand the concern people may have over Avon ownership of Liz Earle brand regarding animal testing, but do wonder if those with concerns continue to buy other beauty brands from QVC that are not certified cruelty free.

Prai is a cruelty free brand as well. Cathy Kangas was elected to the Board of Directors of The Humane Society of the US in 2012. She is passionate about animals and not testing on animals

I know the last eyeshadow I bought from Urban the Bunny was gone, yet they had a basket of older stuff for sale the bunny was on the packaging.

Perhaps some packaging doesn't have the logo if it was produced around the time they announced they were going to sell in China - their cruelty free certification was withdrawn, though subsequently reinstated when they reversed their decision. Some companies won't display the logo even when they are certified as they have to pay for that.

Prai is a cruelty free brand as well. Cathy Kangas was elected to the Board of Directors of The Humane Society of the US in 2012. She is passionate about animals and not testing on animals

I don't believe prai are certified cruelty free - those that are certified are subject to independent audit as are their supply chain. I'm not prepared to trust companies claims who don't have that certification to back it up. I won't buy brands only with PETA certification either as peta dont validate companies claims.

I have no problem with LE selling the company, my problem is that for the past 4 yrs I thought I was supporting an ethical BRITISH company! When The Body Shop was sold it was on the national news so people knew who they were dealing with. QVC should have been more up front about it!

Well, when LE was sold to Avon four years ago it said so on the Liz Earle Homepage and if I am not mislead, it was also in the press.

I applaud anyone who buys cruelty free brands as animals can't fight for their own welfare.

I hope those people also feel the same about the animals born and bred for their food - meat, milk, eggs etc - otherwise it's double standards.

There's an awful lot of suffering in some food production...

Oh, and do you all avoid leather, pearls, silk, wool? Plenty of cruelty there too.

And - another form of cruelty not often mentioned - keeping animals in captivity when all they want to do in their natural state is to be as free as we allow ourselves to be ...

There's no end to the list.

Perhaps some packaging doesn't have the logo if it was produced around the time they announced they were going to sell in China - their cruelty free certification was withdrawn, though subsequently reinstated when they reversed their decision. Some companies won't display the logo even when they are certified as they have to pay for that.

No it was when L'Oreal bought them it seems as the parent company does trade and sell in China.

Avon is going to move into China so expect the companies they own to lose the bunny.

That was why Smashbox lost their bunny because the parent company Estee Lauder could not be guaranteed they did not test and traded in China.

I noticed a big banner from the Humane Group on Facebook the other day. It said EU has now banned all animal testing for cosmetics and companies could not out source others to test ingredients and products on their behalf. Now I didn't actually click on the banner to read more.

Avon and also The Body Shop are famous for misleading the public regarding there products not being tested on animals. Ok there products might not have been tested but what you all need to look out for and check if the ingredients that went into making said product have been tested on animals.So don't be fooled by buying something just because it says cruelty free, Body Shop were took to court if my memory serves me right years ago,because ingredients in there products had been tested.

I've never understood why companies use poor defenceless animals to test products on ,when they are prisons across the world , full of murders, rapists and paedophiles that they could use, id certainly buy from a brand that used that method :mysmilie_3:

The whole beauty industry (amongst others) is an ethical minefield. I've been a big fan and user of C&P for many years.

Can anyone recommend a similar product (that also removes eye make up) that has better ethical credentials?

I know the last eyeshadow I bought from Urban the Bunny was gone, yet they had a basket of older stuff for sale the bunny was on the packaging.

Urban Decay lost the right to use the Leaping Bunny at the same time as L'Occitane because of selling into China. The difference is that when their customers told them that they were horrified, Urban Decay made the decision that they would withdraw from China.

A statement was posted on their website saying: "We did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles. . . . Following our initial announcement, we realised that we needed to step back, carefully review our original plan, and talk to a number of individuals and organisations that were interested in our decision.. . . . We know there are many progressive consumers in China who would embrace an opportunity to purchase non-animal tested products - our hope remains that we have the chance to offer Urban Decay products to these consumers someday in the future."

As a result of their decision, they are now endorsed by Cruelty-Free International again.

Latest posts

Back