Lab Grown Firelight Diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have some pieces of jewellery as a result of a burglary ( better make that clear! compensation for what was stolen) They never see the light of day and I would trade them in for one piece, say earrings that I would wear all the time.I did see some at an Antiques Fair but they were £20kI, I would need to come down a few carats! I have a fairly good watch which is insured and I wear every day. What is the point of having pieces you are frightened to wear?Insure and go.

Chunts is on now showing that every purchase of the firelighters will come complete with a certificate of authenticity. Authentic CZ? And of course she is preening at the twats saying how Q is helping people at the moment. Yep, when history books are written Q will be mentioned on every page as the heroes of 2020.

I have a very good jeweller friend in America who deals mostly in estate jewellery (the beautiful old cuts have quite a lot of followers and I'm one of them).

The last time I saw her several years ago she was in the middle of trying to get her money back after buying a lab-grown diamond. Back then they couldn't grow them very large so she hadn't laid out too much on it. She was annoyed as she rarely takes in modern cuts and also that she took the seller at face value as she'd been a previous customer. The seller had taken her old ring in to upgrade and traded it for a bigger old cut. The thing is, the lab-grown tested as real diamond. She only found out when the seller posted the GIA cert (yes, they certify lab-growns) on to her. The seller had been calling it a real diamond as it's called a diamond. She just left out the lab-grown bit.

The seller remained adamant that her old lab-grown was real. In composition and looks it was. It wasn't too white and had inclusions so was definitely not "fake" (the tester would have shown CZ anyway). It didn't have the telltale tint or fire flashes that aren't true rainbow colours that Moissanite has (would also have shown on tester -though I did take my Moissanite to my local jeweller who did think that was a real diamond, too, as mine was the first he'd seen). He kept a few CZs to show his customers the quickest way to spot a fake as they're too perfect, though I have seen some go cloudy.

I don't think testers are better now than they were but I daresay a few years down the line unscrupulous dealers will break pieces down and sell at least the smaller stones on as real.

My jewellery buying days are over but I only ever bought antique stones (apart from a pair of brilliant-cut Canadian diamond earrings that are ethical) as I prefer the cuts but if someone wanted a real diamond and was willing to re-mount the stone these would be an ideal money-saver (even though Q's are more expensive than others I've seen) as you can't really tell the difference. An equivalent stone would probably cost three times the Q price from a dealer here - more if you went upmarket.

I think fluorescing diamonds will be the only true easy-to-tell "real" diamonds out there in a few years.

The only thing I can think with this lab-grown is many people these days refuse to buy real diamonds in case they are Blood Diamonds there is no 100% guarantee they will not be. They have to be tracked from the mine all the way to selling with paperwork for ever step of the way. But that can be forged.

But the price of this range is stupid and I cannot see why they just do not buy dear old eek.

I can see the point with the provenance of mined diamonds but I am only in the Eek class anyway.This may be the way to go for the future of diamonds but I would need to know these lab versions would hold their value, even if I was investing I would not buy a piece with QVC stamped on it and would do my homework first.

The only thing I can think with this lab-grown is many people these days refuse to buy real diamonds in case they are Blood Diamonds there is no 100% guarantee they will not be. They have to be tracked from the mine all the way to selling with paperwork for ever step of the way. But that can be forged.

But the price of this range is stupid and I cannot see why they just do not buy dear old eek.

Exactly donna, thought jewellers couldn’t tell the diff between eek and real yet they are gushing over this range. Appears a good amount of gold, maybe if they improved their eek range with more gold they'd make more sales.

Exactly donna, thought jewellers couldn’t tell the diff between eek and real yet they are gushing over this range. Appears a good amount of gold, maybe if they improved their eek range with more gold they'd make more sales.

To me, it looks like the usual QVC trick of hollowing out the gold, so it looks a lot but is actually next to nothing. You can see this if you look carefully and lnow what to look for,

In fact, I've even asked the question about whether the ring is hollowed out on their website, but I am not expecting an answer any time soon.

I got a wide gold signet-type ring from Q years ago, it seemed good value, but it was hollowed out to much that the gold was wafer thin and is now full of dents - - never again.

To me, it looks like the usual QVC trick of hollowing out the gold, so it looks a lot but is actually next to nothing. You can see this if you look carefully and lnow what to look for,

In fact, I've even asked the question about whether the ring is hollowed out on their website, but I am not expecting an answer any time soon.

I got a wide gold signet-type ring from Q years ago, it seemed good value, but it was hollowed out to much that the gold was wafer thin and is now full of dents - - never again.

If true strato, and I trust your judgment, they’ll have a lot of returns for those prices. It was mentioned gold with silver on top around the solitaire setting I think, why not white gold? And the rose gold was recycled. Using silver, what for extra brilliance?seems odd to me when the stone is supposed to be super duper!

Some years back I bought an apatite ring from QVC 9ct gold. I was shocked when it arrived as the band was solid all the way around! Even on GemsTV you normally get hollowed out get a totally solid gold ring band is only if you go to a very high-end jeweller which I have my money would never stretch anyway near that jewellers.

I have to say I actually find diamonds boring I love coloured gemstones always have.

I love all stones including diamonds but agree Donna that coloured stones are more interesting as long as they are not wee chips surrounded by solder. Design is the main thing, if I like that it really doesn’t matter what the stone or what it is set in as long as the price is comparable to the materials used.

The film of the spinning ring is lit so brightly it's difficult to see the inside of the shank but I don't think it's solid. Back in the day I bought some beautiful jewellery from the Q & all the rings contained a substantial amount of gold, I've kept one & given the rest to the Cats Protection shop. The Billy no mates is a trilogy ring set with a chequerboard cut iolite & diamonds, it's a lovely piece & could be passed off as genuine Art Deco, something I'd never do 😇

I have a Victorian style ring from the company in the link below and for my next big birthday I intend to get one of their Edwardian style cluster rings. Most of their rings are set in platinum but the one I have is 18ct yellow gold and is solid , a good weight of gold and with lovely quality diamonds.

If they’re charging such ridiculous prices for pretend diamonds, why on earth ruin the gold band by stamping QVC on it? Just a hallmark should be on it.

I’ll admit to the fact that I used to wear a diamonique ring, but that’s now back in my jewellery box, with countless other pieces, as I now wear a white gold and genuine diamond solitaire ring that my partner gave me. (And it doesn’t have QVC stamped on it. :ROFLMAO:)

Latest posts

Back