Kipling fans- what's the best bag?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

..............I will also get a Reth when I see a bargain.

I just bought a Reth in Gentle Grey from Amazon for £37.50. There is loads of colours available but they're all different prices. It was the grey I wanted and it happened to be one of the cheaper ones on offer so finding that was a bit of a result for me :grin:

.......... sorry, when I read on there I noticed you'd found that same deal :wink:

Last edited:
Can anyone's comment on the adley and the nagato? They look very similar. Thanks

I have two adleys and it is of my favourite bags, as it is not too big and has no bulky pockets on it, just two zipped compartments. You are quite right it is very like the Nagato but probably a bit smaller x

I love my Alvar, looks good stuffed full or half empty. I have a metallic pewter one and i'm really trying to resist getting the cabbage one for summer.

I must say that my favourite apart from the Defea, would have to be Gracy, it has lots of room inside and is very much a satchel type....love it

Thanks for everyone's help. I was wanting a new bag, a kipling one, forthe summer and to add to my collection of just 2 (Kos and leather Defea) plus a purse. I ordered 3 bags with the intention of only keeping one of them. Based on everyone's really helpful tips I ordered:

1. Ginowan from Q
2. Large Fairfax from Amazon - bargain price and free delivery and free returns
3. Reth from Amazon again a great price and free p&p & R.

Verdict. Although I liked the Ginowan and excluding postage is one of the better priced bags from Q, for me it just did not have the organisation I wanted. If it had a rear zip pocket I may have kept it. The size is good and the shoulder straps are long enough. Yes there was a key fob! But I returned it, don't even get me started on the price to return it. Please be warned when buying Kipling from Q. What would once have cost around £2.60 to return will now probably cost you double that. Sadly I had already ordered it when I had the nasty surprise in the post office yesterday.

The Fairfax was nice but now I know why I sold it and why kipling are retiring it. The mobile phone pocket is too small for my wider smartphone. So the Reth wins hands down. Love the fact that it only has a shoulder/cross body strap and not grab handles that only seem to get in the way. Yes it's boxy but I think it looks great when being used, fits everything in and "hangs" well IYKWIM.

Thanks for all your tips.

What a great thread. I'm really loving reading this *smile*

Ginowan- no key fob.

I know others have already said so, but I just wanted to add that mine has a key fob. Could it be that they weren't made with a key fob in the beginning and later have added one perhaps...?

I have eh... uhm... too many Kipling bags to count... Or maybe I don't want to count them LOL. Anyway my faves keep changing. I think I have been buying/collecting since... Maybe 2004 or 2003. I know what some of you say about the Nemo. I have 3 and it used to be my fave bag in the beginning.

As I said, my favourites keep changing... At the moment I'm totally in a Defea mood. I'm very happy with my latest bargain of a Defea in the current colour Cabbage (green) for £34!! Amazon had it temporarily for £42 last week and I had a £8 discount voucher too. Now the voucher is not valid anymore than their price is back up to £70 so I guess I was very lucky. I also have it in a few more combinations and totally love it in "line print" (which is what I'm using at the moment). I would love the Defea in Monkey Mania but so far I have not been able to find it for a good price.... Unless anyone knows otherwise please...?

I agree that Alvar is a very nice bag. For me it's just a little too small for everyday but I use it sometimes when I can just grab a few essentials.

Love the Ginowan (shape) and the Latona and Delana for the Defea-like size. That is really the "best" size for me at the moment. Got the Garan TSV and think I will like this, though I wish it had a few more compartments and that the front one under the flap would be zipped...

I could keep on writing about Kipling all day LOL .... Better stop and go to have some lunch instead...!

I know others have already said so, but I just wanted to add that mine has a key fob. Could it be that they weren't made with a key fob in the beginning and later have added one perhaps...?

I have eh... uhm... too many Kipling bags to count... Or maybe I don't want to count them LOL. Anyway my faves keep changing. I think I have been buying/collecting since... Maybe 2004 or 2003. I know what some of you say about the Nemo. I have 3 and it used to be my fave bag in the beginning.

As I said, my favourites keep changing... At the moment I'm totally in a Defea mood. I'm very happy with my latest bargain of a Defea in the current colour Cabbage (green) for £34!! Amazon had it temporarily for £42 last week and I had a £8 discount voucher too. Now the voucher is not valid anymore than their price is back up to £70 so I guess I was very lucky. I also have it in a few more combinations and totally love it in "line print" (which is what I'm using at the moment). I would love the Defea in Monkey Mania but so far I have not been able to find it for a good price.... Unless anyone knows otherwise please...?

I agree that Alvar is a very nice bag. For me it's just a little too small for everyday but I use it sometimes when I can just grab a few essentials.

Love the Ginowan (shape) and the Latona and Delana for the Defea-like size. That is really the "best" size for me at the moment. Got the Garan TSV and think I will like this, though I wish it had a few more compartments and that the front one under the flap would be zipped...

I could keep on writing about Kipling all day LOL .... Better stop and go to have some lunch instead...!

Is the cabbage colour the same as it looks on Amazon's website Anso or is it different "in the flesh"? I like the minty green colour it looks online.

Is the cabbage colour the same as it looks on Amazon's website Anso or is it different "in the flesh"? I like the minty green colour it looks online.

This is always tricky as monitors can display colours differently. I have just looked at the Defea in Cabbage on Amazon's website on my iPad and held the screen up to my bag. The Defea on Amazon appears a little more grey in colour and my bag in real life appears a little more green. So to me it's a bit less minty and a little more green in reality.

Something that would really describe the colour to you: do you have any of the more recently Kipling labels? Not the old rectangular ones that used to be attached to the bag. But the new ones with a pink circle, a red heart and a green square? That green square is VERY VERY similar to the cabbage colour, the bag is just a tiny, tiny shade darker than this label.

Hope this was of some help :)

Me again :) New topic!

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the New Money vs Nelis (wallets) please? Have had 2 New Money wallets/purses which I have used for 10 years now and love them. But would like a new one. I really want some green shade as it's my favourite colour. Was going to go for another New Money but then spotted the Nelis online (never seen it in real life) and now I don't know what to do....? Doesn't help that both seem pretty difficult to get in green too...

Would love some opinions if you have experiences of both please? Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for that Anso, I think I might have to go for the cabbage Alvar! :mysmilie_504:
I have the metallic silver Nelis and I like it, I haven't had a new money wallet but the Nelis has alot more room for cards than the new money. I thought there might be a problem with coins falling out as the zip doesn't go all the way around like the new money but so far no problems with that.

Thanks for that Anso, I think I might have to go for the cabbage Alvar! :mysmilie_504:
I have the metallic silver Nelis and I like it, I haven't had a new money wallet but the Nelis has alot more room for cards than the new money. I thought there might be a problem with coins falling out as the zip doesn't go all the way around like the new money but so far no problems with that.

You're welcome :) Cabbage is my fave Kipling colour right now by far :)

Thanks for the advice about the Nelis. I had read somewhere about the zip and the potential coin falling out problem, so that's really good to know.

What's the silver like please, is there any risk of it getting "scratches"? As I said I'd really like a green wallet but if I can't find that, then silver would be the next colour to tempt me. Just wondering if it could get scratched by keys in my bag as I'm unsure how the metallic material would be for something like that. Obviously the "normal" Kipling canvas would have no problem with scratches but I wonder what the silver is like...

I've only had it for about a month but it's in my bag with keys and all sorts of junk, i'm not careful with purses and they tend to get battered but it still looks like new.
BTW there is a cabbage nelis on QVC but it's on waitlist

I've only had it for about a month but it's in my bag with keys and all sorts of junk, i'm not careful with purses and they tend to get battered but it still looks like new.
BTW there is a cabbage nelis on QVC but it's on waitlist

That is great to hear. Thanks for the info :)

And thanks for the Nelis Cabbage info, so funny as I have already been checking it for days now but it just keeps on showing as on "wait list" so I'm kinda giving up hope that it will come back in stock... :( Such a shame I didn't spot it earlier when they had it in stock...!

As I said, my favourites keep changing... At the moment I'm totally in a Defea mood. I'm very happy with my latest bargain of a Defea in the current colour Cabbage (green) for £34!! Amazon had it temporarily for £42 last week and I had a £8 discount voucher too. Now the voucher is not valid anymore than their price is back up to £70 so I guess I was very lucky. I also have it in a few more combinations and totally love it in "line print" (which is what I'm using at the moment). I would love the Defea in Monkey Mania but so far I have not been able to find it for a good price.... Unless anyone knows otherwise please...? I agree that Alvar is a very nice bag. For me it's just a little too small for everyday but I use it sometimes when I can just grab a few essentials.

This site has a sale this weekend and have a Monkey Mania Defea for £57.40, free delivery on orders over £49.99!

http://collectables.co.uk/Kipling-Defea-Monkey-Mania-Bag.html

They are also on Quidco, 7% cashback.

Edit: Sorry to get your hopes up, it's now showing as out of stock :sad:

Last edited:
Please describe it RD! (I will look it up anyway...)

You should see me with my Reth.(gentle grey- Amazon have put the price up now)
Everything is just where I need it to be. Bus/trainticket- rear zip pocket. Pens, Phone,handcream, lipbalm and sunglasses- front zip pocket.Work pass- rear zipped pocket. Purse and keys (on key fob lol) securely zipped. Other Zip compartment has all my make up bits, my notebook and kindle.

I have never been so pleased with a kipling before- it even beats the defea. I love that it only has one long shoulder strap that you can extend to cross body. And it looks good because it hangs correctly. I will buy this style again in a darker colour for winter.

I bought my art s for £30 on ebay.....on amazon its £74

When it first arrived,I thought ooooh nooo thats too small but I can get loads in it,and a nice comfy shoulder strap.A nice vibrant but deep blue to go with all my denims!

No key fob and no pockets of organisation of phone etc which is a little disappointing.....its a 25 year anniversary bag....so maybe its done on purpose as a replica of it 25 years ago!!!!???? Also my smart phone is too big for the outer pocket....but hey I've used it today and love it.Love the way the shape can be changed also! Don't think I would have paid £74 for it,but I am pleased with it

Took delivery of a Rachele in Mitchell Blue a couple of weeks ago. Am liking it a lot. Loads of room and a decent length cross body strap. The colour is lovely.
Just has the main section, another front zipped section and a ax small velcro closure pocket on front.
Cost £38 from Amazon. I can see myself with a few colours of this one when available at a good price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back