Just looking ..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
down the Thread titles, and including today's Julep cosmetics, the number of upcoming beauty tsv's just shows how much qvc rely on stuff to slap on our faces !

I'm surprised there is still a market for it with all the different brands we are bombarded with, considering we can only use so much lippy, foundation, and moisturiser at any one time.

Boring doesn't begin to cover it.

Second biggest industry by value. I can only imagine how profitable it is. QVC won't be slowing down this gravy train any time soon, I'm sure.

QVC rub their hands together with glee the fact people by nature always like to try something new, so wether you've got fifty lipsticks, ten foundations, five TSVs of face creams, if a new one appears, people will buy it to try it. Not me though, I'm more than happy with my amazing Aldi skin care and IW Elizabeth Grant Pick Of The Day. :mysmilie_3:

I am not like that now after decades of shopping with QVC mainly in the past for beauty not so much now I am very careful. it takes me months to get through a L'Occitane bar of soap or shower gel. meaning that I only need three or four shower products a year. same with body cream/lotions....facial cleanser 3/4 a year and moisturiser. I have only just needed an oil as a serum as my skin is now finally ageing. Superdrug and boots do great skincare for a tiny fraction of the big brands and imo just as good.

It funny isn't it, you're more likely to buy something off QVC were it doesn't really feel like you're spending money with just a few clicks as opposed to standing in front of the counter handing over your credit card, I know I've been guilty of it. I had to break out of the feeling that shopping on line was more of an experience than shopping on the highstreet because on the highstreet your shopping purchase is instant, you've paid, that's it, you've got it, were as with QVC once you "click it through" then you have the anticipation and excitement of waiting for your parcel. So I gave myself a good talking to saying well if I won't buy it in a shop, I obviously don't want it, and plus QVCs service has gone right down too so it's a win win now, I only have what I need, less waste. :mysmilie_3:

The other year it was up online how much product wise QVC and make the most money from. If I remember correctly beauty was 75% and then everything else they sell worked out at 25%. Of course, they will push push push push every beauty brand they can get their hands on.

I belong to a private Facebook group run by Caroline Hirons members are worldwide, and yesterday many raving about buying beauty from QVC US and UK. Why? You can try it and send it back 30-day MBG and of course easy pay.

I have bought some make up and Elemis from Q, but I've never sent anything beauty back. Have I been lucky ? I don't know, but I couldn't imagine using a face cream or a lippy for almost a month then returning it. Generally skincare takes more than a month to see results anyway. Then there's the faff of sending it back.

Perhaps that's why Q sell a lot, because the offer of a 30dmg is there, although many don't bother, so the profits are high.

I wish they would demonstrate the make up on older women. I’m 63 and have no idea which range would suit nor how to apply it now my face isn’t so smooth and taut. They have Tiffany and Barbara the original Bare Minerals model but I don’t feel they are representative of the “ordinary” women on the high street.

Also their make up ranges are aimed at younger women who like the bronzers, highlighters and foundations that look “dewy” or pearlised. On the other hand I don’t want a matt flat look - a “satin finish” with a subtle touch of colour would suit.

I've tried most of the beauty brands over the years but can't say that any of them match the hype about them. I'm lucky enough to have good skin with very few lines etc., so maybe that's why they didn't make much difference. But my skin is down to good genes (thanks, mum) the fact I have never sunbathed, the fact that I don't drink or smoke (sheesh, I sound boring :thinking: ) and I also drink 2 litres of water a day. I don't think any of the premium brands can halt the ageing process although they might help to minimise the effects of it.

However, the reason that I no longer watch the beauty shows like Liz Earle, Decleor, Elemis, Gatineau etc etc is because I know how to apply moisturisers and serums and find watching models doing this throughout the shows really boring.

I know that many will disagree with my thoughts on this, but we're all different (which is good) and it's just my opinion about beauty products and the related shows.

I wonder if QVC get more sales overall by having their stable of beauty brands on more often, or whether they are getting same/similar amount of sales across more events (TSVs, beauty pick of the month, beauty supersize of the month, OTOs, bargain hunters, big deals)?

The saturation of the coverage is incredibly boring. I would dearly love to see them do some different things with their beauty shows, but because selling the stuff really is the only reason for giving them air time, and they are always hoping to catch the channel-hoppers and newbies, you get the same old routines, the same old sales spiel from the guests and presenters alike.

Back when Stacey used to bring YBF to QVC they at least started the demo with bareface, and sometimes they had normal customers in the studio rather than just the models. That was a bit different, and importantly they were more mature women putting the make up on (lovely departed Amica and Joy). Too many brands have relatively young women, and put makeup on already made-up faces.

If QVC could bear to devote a show to a routine (start with cleansing and go all the way through, for example) they could do specific routines and products for different skin types or skin concerns. Or with the makeup, they could actually do a whole technique of making up the face - doing different looks from scratch on different skins. Even if they did some of this on their beauty channel, rather than on the main channel... just mix it up a bit.

At one time, I'm pretty sure they had some content of this nature on the beauty channel, but all they seem to show now are disjointed segments from different live show recordings.

At the end of the day, all they care about is the result (££££) and not the means... or certainly not the quality of the means.

That is the reason I don’t watch anymore. The choice is eaither beauty, so called overpriced fashion and Eek.

In other words bugger all choice.

I wonder if a big reason is the lack of vendors. Before online shopping exploded to the behemoth it is today, QVC had a huge variety of goods for sale. I remember the Blue Moon shows - which meant that, a once in a blue moon programme, far more variety of fashion, craft programmes, we even had pottery - Old Tupton ware - not everyones cup of tea but it was different.

Now we get repeat after repeat, if its not yet another beauty show, its Q's own products like Cozeehome, Eek, Denim and Co, Cooks Essentials.

Clearly vendors will promote their goods online now, rather than share the profits with QVC, and who can blame them.

its about volume with Qvc until its done to death like YBF, Mally, Laura Geller and even Bare minerals

I flicked over last weekend when the Smashbox TSV was on. They had Tiff as a model and ye gods you could see every deep wrinkle around her mouth. The foundation looked caked on as well. I thought ****** hell that will stop ladies of a certain age from buying. No matter what QVC say their makeup ranges are mainly loads of shimmer and highlighters. They are trying to be hip and trendy and that is not their customer base who want a simple natural look.

I’m not terribly into make up and sometimes think about going for a professional make up job but looking at Julia this past week if that is what having umpteen brands at your disposal achieves then no thank you. She looks as if someone has mixed beef dripping with a tea bag and slathered it over her kisser with abandon.

I flicked over last weekend when the Smashbox TSV was on. They had Tiff as a model and ye gods you could see every deep wrinkle around her mouth. The foundation looked caked on as well. I thought ****** hell that will stop ladies of a certain age from buying. No matter what QVC say their makeup ranges are mainly loads of shimmer and highlighters. They are trying to be hip and trendy and that is not their customer base who want a simple natural look.

Most of the time, whether it's fashion, beauty or jewellery (the "big three" of QVC departments) we lament. QVC brings more and more outlandish prints on increasingly expensive polyester, or pumps up the price ridiculously for viscose - when we'd all like some good quality, nicely priced items to boost our wardrobe... fortunately the supermarkets have stepped into the breach on this front.
QVC brings us makeup in shades of brown and beige and nude and leaves us guessing on foundation, or offers incoherent multilayerd routines for skincare, while promising everything is suitable for every skintype when they have huge volumes to shift.
QVC brings us silver plate at prices previously charged for weightier amounts of precious metal and seems to have almost completely abandoned precious stones in favour of more and more eek... and when it isn't that, there are mounds of costume jewellery which is either overly kitsch or cheap looking.

The odd one out here is beauty. Eek is pretty much QVC's own brand. Many of us suspect that the vast majority of "fashion" is furnished out of the same warehouses and factories, which may or may not be part of QVC's family of businesses. At the end of the day, when we see all of this stuff, the one area where QVC would give their eye teeth to get in on the act is with the beauty stuff, I suspect. If they could do an eek and essentially sell their own-brand product at prestige prices they would surely do it and laugh all the way to the bank. Arguably QVC have left it too late, and now that the likes of The Ordinary have begun driving down prices for high-end ingredients, the trend is to lower prices which don't leave any room for the kind of mark-ups QVC probably want.
Sorry, letting my inner cynic show again :mysmilie_12:

I am not like that now after decades of shopping with QVC mainly in the past for beauty not so much now I am very careful. it takes me months to get through a L'Occitane bar of soap or shower gel. meaning that I only need three or four shower products a year. same with body cream/lotions....facial cleanser 3/4 a year and moisturiser. I have only just needed an oil as a serum as my skin is now finally ageing. Superdrug and boots do great skincare for a tiny fraction of the big brands and imo just as good.

Not tried Superdrug yet and Boots No 7 really makes a mess of my skin. Can use Aldi hot cloth cleanser and usually use Elemis but got quite a bit of Decleor for Christmas, I do like the oils. Has anyone any tips for an eye cream. I have puffy eyes and have tried Origins, Alpha H and Elemis but nothing has made a difference,

Not tried Superdrug yet and Boots No 7 really makes a mess of my skin. Can use Aldi hot cloth cleanser and usually use Elemis but got quite a bit of Decleor for Christmas, I do like the oils. Has anyone any tips for an eye cream. I have puffy eyes and have tried Origins, Alpha H and Elemis but nothing has made a difference,

You might like to take a look at some of the eye products recommended by Nadine Baggott in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1IVhgQM5Uw Quite a few more affordable options in there (Bodyshop, The Ordinary, L'Oreal).
She also did one for clinic eye products : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ01cY-63J8

As well as products, how do you sleep? Do you sleep on your back? If you don't, is it something you can try? This may help reduce the puffiness. You can also do some light massage/tapping to improve fluid drainage from the eyes.

You might like to take a look at some of the eye products recommended by Nadine Baggott in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1IVhgQM5Uw Quite a few more affordable options in there (Bodyshop, The Ordinary, L'Oreal).
She also did one for clinic eye products : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ01cY-63J8

As well as products, how do you sleep? Do you sleep on your back? If you don't, is it something you can try? This may help reduce the puffiness. You can also do some light massage/tapping to improve fluid drainage from the eyes.

Thanks for this May, I have been told creams are too heavy for me. Dont sleep on my back as it makes me snore really bad.:mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17:

Thanks for this May, I have been told creams are too heavy for me. Dont sleep on my back as it makes me snore really bad.:mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17:

Good point on creams - I forgot to say: if you have any light serums (not creams), you can probably use these around your eyes, but don't go in much further than the orbital bone - rely on the capillary action to take the product further.

If you can't sleep on your back, perhaps you can spend a few minutes lying on your back when you wake before you get up? Just to give gravity a chance to drain any fluid away from your eyes.

Latest posts

Back