julia's straight hair

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As worn by Phyllis Pearce in Coronation Street and Mrs. Slocombe in Are You Being Served?

I think that is what we all aspire to .... :rock:

I'm not in any right/wrong camp here - (I'm 63 and sport the Goldie Hawn look) - but we all know that a hairstyle can make or break a face over 40. I'm certainly not a luvver of Lulu, BUT for her face and age she has a fabulous hair cut. Cilla Black on the other hand is a year or two older and has worn the same style for centuries - thus making her look centuries older. Another example is Twiggy, again great hairstyle for face and age. Debbie Greenwood also has a good hairstyle for her face and age, as does Judi Dench and Helen Mirren.

However, I always think Lynda Bellingham, Jane McDonald and Mrs Eamonn Holmes (whatever her name is) have 'strong and old' faces and that their hairstyles never seem right on them. The poker straight hair of Jill Franks only accentuates her very thin face, wiry frame and makes her hard looking (she really needs to put weight on or will suffer health problems as she ages).

Personally I think Julia does suit long hair, but believe it would look better cut shorter to a long 'bob' style. Even, dare I say it, like Kim M, who again has great hair for her face and age.

The hair looks very nice. Sadly it does not match the face. Is not suited to ladies in their fifties, leave it for the young girls. Bit of dignity would not hurt.

Saying people over 50 with long hair have no dignity? Wow how sad that you should think that.

Brissles, you've made some really interesting observations and your comments about LB, JM and Mrs EH are spot on. In my far too many years of experience, all women have an optimum age which is unique to them, and it my be that these women will not reach theirs until their 70s, at which time they will look fabulous in a way which will have little to do with current trend. Re their hair. Could it be that they too, are not happy with it? I seem to recall constant changes of style and colour, some of which are better than others but none IMO have looked absolutely right. Maybe they set impossible boundries for their hairdressers who, let's be honest, can only work with what they've got.

Lulu, whether or not we like her, certainly looks good, but I imagine she is far more self aware and spends far more time on herself than Cilla, but does doing so have more payoff for her than it would for Cilla? In other words, if a woman has that indefinable X factor she is likely to make sure she hangs on to it, for other women it is often a question of "Why bother" on a sliding scale of 1 to 10. Cilla may look better without the trademark red hair of her youth and a softer hairstyle, but it may also be that she has difficult hair and doesn't choose to spends hours in a salon.

Hair. Julia v Kim. Kim's must be every hairdressers' dream. FABULOUS hair styled exactly right for her tiny size and HUGE personality. Julia's look would have me running for the hills. Her hair is "pretty" hair, her face is lovely, her figure is womanly and voluptuous, not little girly, which I experience her as wanting to be seen. Hair as long as hers generally looks best on little girls or women tall enough to get the balance right. Naturally curly hair usually looks better when it's left to curl, especially so if it's coloured with any of the darker shades which can drain older skin. Straightening it reveals thinning, bleached ends and shows up the parting line, which as ever more white hairs appear, makes the dark tint look ever more artificial, increasing the necessity for darker make up.

Over the past years there has been a HUGE rise in women having high or multicoloured lights in their hair. Generally it is a kinder, softer way of holding back the years and this seems to be corroborated by brissles. Other than Kim, who softens her dark hair with lightened areas, all the women she comments on as looking good at a certain age are either fair or colourless.

In my defence for having long hair I am tall and I am not 60,although it has been trimmed to shoulder length now,my daughters always say short hair does not suit me.
Lynn

As worn by Phyllis Pearce in Coronation Street and Mrs. Slocombe in Are You Being Served?

I think that is what we all aspire to .... :rock:

Ok now, the aspiring to is going to far:tongue::tongue::grin::grin:

wonder how many more rules we can come up with in a week:
no long hair over 50
no showing knees over 50
no short sleeves over 50

Think I will go into hiding for the rest of my life

I have said it before on here, but I will repeat myself. I am 50 in 3 months time and I have long hair. No one is going to influence me to get it cut until I want to. Short hair looks horrendous on me, I have discussed this with my really honest friends and they tell me to keep it long as it suits me.

BTW, I like Julia's hair long, especially when she straightens it.

wonder how many more rules we can come up with in a week:
no long hair over 50
no showing knees over 50
no short sleeves over 50

no low-rise pants over 50
no jeggings (the Max Wall look) over 50
no handbags with cuties on them over 50
no logo 'T' shirts over 50

Edit: oops! Forgot
no Pilates demos over 25!

Last edited:
no low-rise pants over 50
no jeggings (the Max Wall look) over 50
no handbags with cuties on them over 50
no logo 'T' shirts over 50

Edit: oops! Forgot
no Pilates demos over 25!

Oh well! Thats it then. 3 months left to enjoy life as I know it. After that, i won't be able to leave the house. Can I still wear my Bobbi Brown eyliner or is that not seemly for over 50s? He He

I would also add, NO Tiana B mumsy style printed frocks (reminds me of my old nan's wrap-around pinnies !!!) - but then some on here may like them, so no offence intended.

OR Cashmasoft twin sets with scarves ...... aaaaaagh !

OR Nina (Hyper) Leonard clothes

all purposely designed for women who want to dress like their mothers' did in middle age - I just mutter to myself "would Judi, Twiggy, Helen, etc wear this ?" and its always 'NO' !!!!!

I have said it before on here, but I will repeat myself. I am 50 in 3 months time and I have long hair. No one is going to influence me to get it cut until I want to. Short hair looks horrendous on me, I have discussed this with my really honest friends and they tell me to keep it long as it suits me.

BTW, I like Julia's hair long, especially when she straightens it.
Long hair can look good on most ages as long as it's in tip top condition, just look to Goody as a good example of an older lady with fabulous long hair. Unfortunately Miss Piggy has slightly frizzy hair and a lot of it which often looks unkempt, the wanton just got up, bed-head look can be very sexy on young babes but just looks ungroomed on older women and should be avoided. Straight hair doesn't suit JR imho because it draws the eye to her face and her the bad points i.e. the eye bags and slightly wonky gob whereas a fuller shorter style or an up-do distracts the attention away from the face and is much more flattering. In My Opinion.

Getting older disgracefully

I'm just :mysmilie_11:ing it, being an older biddy with longer hair who likes to put it up when it gets on my wick! Or should I fish out the ole head scarf?

I think long hair can look flattering on the older woman but on others frankly disasterous.
Take Jerry Hall who hasn't changed her hair in decades, but her face and the condition of her hair have and she looks a mess.I think Goody looks wrong with her brassy blonde hair and although it may be in good condition she looks quite hard for a woman in her 60's.
I think Julia's hair is ok..not great but ok,I think it's her make up that's wrong,the purple shadows that emphasise the under eye circles and harden her features.I think she needs to change to softer colours like a greys and see how that looks.

Latest posts

Back