Julia's Book

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Please tell me you're taking the pi$$ and this load of self indulgent bollox isn't really in her book !!??

.. I think it's JR that's taking the proverbial in actually getting such a pile of cack published, Pinkpussycat ... :nod:

I think we're all agreed that vanity publishing of this kind is rather self indulgent but I didn't expect the milk of human kindness directed towards Julia the past couple of days to have turned sour quite so quickly.

Perhaps it all a ploy?

Intentionally written full of subliminal messages…when you've finished reading the book, assuming you didn't lose the will to live, you can't stop buying from QVC! :bandit::nod:

I think we're all agreed that vanity publishing of this kind is rather self indulgent but I didn't expect the milk of human kindness directed towards Julia the past couple of days to have turned sour quite so quickly.
The sympathy over JR's health plight and the disdain over her nonsensical ego-driven book are entirely different matters.

Last edited:
I got mine.Purchased out of curiosity, wondering why Julia would want to write a book and sell it. I am a few chapters in andI have the following comments so far:

Julia would be able to write a novel. She has a good, easy to read, style. Not literature, but good for the beach.

The chapters are nice and short.

Over half of the chapters I wonder "why would someone be interested in reading this?". Specifically the parts about her O levels, her favourite films (I KNOW the plot of Love Actually, as do most people), and other similar chapters.

Some chapters, are genuinely interesting, such as the chapter about her suffering Polio.

I felt reading some of it that an autobiography probably was not the right genre for Julia. The book clearly shows that she has, on the one hand a huge ego. But on the other hand this is very superficial , because her desire to keep her private life private overwhelms the book. She actually reveals very little about her personal life, why co habit rather than marry (I don't judge either way but I am nosey!), there is nothing about her life and work at QVC and zilch about her relationships with colleagues, and yes I know that was unlikely to be in there but some hints would have been nice! She was very complimentary about Joan Rivers, superficially of course.

So- verdict so far, some of it is good. Much of it is pointless. She can write well and I think novels that are easy to read fiction would be a good idea for her. Her ego is obvious but this is in conflict with an overwhelming desire for privacy rendering the book devoid of what people may want to know about Julia.

I think well done for writing a book, I wish I could. However reading it in places sounds like I could have written, such as a chapter about what GCSE's I did, why I should have got a B instead of a C, my own holiday in the Maldives on Kuredu. I went there too Julia but I would not consider others would want to read about it. It is akin to showing holiday snaps or cine film to bored friends!

Maybe I am being unfair, but I said the only way to critique a book is to read it, and I have not finished it yet, maybe I will post again when I have.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Debbie Flint has just tweeted

"Anything anyone's always wanted to ask our @JuliaRobertsQVC ? Tweet me now - she's on with her autobiog bk at 8-10pm! @qvcuk Fun show! X"

Here's our big chance - is anyone brave enough? :mysmilie_505:

It makes me laugh to know that someone would spend their money on a book written by an egotistical sales woman who happens to work on a TV shopping channel. I mean what is she but an ex tap dancer for gawds sake.

It sounds rather mundane so I think my money is safe. It's the type of thing I might pick up if i saw it in a bargain bin for 50p :thinking:

There is nothing more that I can add, Weathergirl has said it all!
I bought it because I am very nosey and love autobiographies but even I couldn't bear to read the chapters on her O Levels and the plots of her favourite films!

It sounds like a memory box of a book that her family would cherish. Not exactly setting the world on fire. Maybe she used it as therapy and it should have stayed family private. How many sugars does she take in her tea?

It sounds like a memory box of a book that her family would cherish. Not exactly setting the world on fire. Maybe she used it as therapy and it should have stayed family private. How many sugars does she take in her tea?

Lol! Haven't got to that bit yet!

Looking fab at 56 though

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back