Julia Roberts STILL asking for "Christian" names

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
JR really needs to stop this. every time she invites people to text in, she says "you just need to tell us your christian name and where you are".
whats wrong with "first name"?

i cannot believe she hasnt been pulled up on this. i am a white english non-religeous man and i notice it every time she does it. and take my word i am NOT the PC type! bugger only knows what any other religeon or culture thinks of it.

someone tell her that her audience arent all christians?... please?

an excellent observation burlybear.

i know how you feel, for i get frustrated when people refer to humankind as "mankind" or "man", you know, just that whole patriarchal grammatical approach that we really shouldn't adopt in the 21st century.

congratulations.

Good post! I've noticed this too...it amazes me she hasn't been told to stop!

When I was teaching I was once chastised for using the words "Christian names" in a R.E. lesson by an OFSTED inspector.:(

I suppose it should just be first name in our multicultural society, but I don't think it's that offensive. I guess the first time someone actually calls to complain, she'll stop doing it!

More than anything, I just think her use of "Christian name" is simply old fashioned - she's just sticking with how we used to refer to first names in this country. It is (this usage), for her, a place that is forever England.

I have to say it doesn't bother me either, I don't even think about it in pc terms but then IMO most pc nonsense is bollox anyway. :D I use forename simply because it's printed on all our documents at work so the habit of saying it has just stuck. :pPC:

This is Britain and it's the way we've called names for heck knows how long. If anyone doesn't like it, they can always go live somewhere else. There's no religious connotation to it anymore. When in Rome....

Sorry, this may be a bit Daily Mail but this IS Britain and we are meant to be a Christian country despite the efforts of our current Government to force us to embrace every other culture under the sun.

We've used the term "Christian Name" since well before I was born nearly 60 years ago and I don't think we should be obliged NOT to use it on the off chance that it might offend someone.

Having said all that, I AM conscious when I speak to certain people in my work that using the term MIGHT be inappropriate.

I hope I'm not contadicting myself here!!

This is Britain and it's the way we've called names for heck knows how long. If anyone doesn't like it, they can always go live somewhere else. There's no religious connotation to it anymore. When in Rome....

Well said Moth! You dont see some other countries changing their ways for us. This is also supposed to be a Christian country!!! :mad:

:)

Sorry, this may be a bit Daily Mail but this IS Britain and we are meant to be a Christian country despite the efforts of our current Government to force us to embrace every other culture under the sun.

We've used the term "Christian Name" since well before I was born nearly 60 years ago and I don't think we should be obliged NOT to use it on the off chance that it might offend someone.

I agree with everything you have said

Having said all that, I AM conscious when I speak to certain people in my work that using the term MIGHT be inappropriate.

I hope I'm not contadicting myself here!!

Totally agree with both Mike and Moth, I expect Christmas will be the next thing we can't say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back