JR - What A Mess

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When she first wore those leggings she did say on air that herself and her daughter had both bought them.

Trying to dress like your daughter and thinking that it will make you look young and trendy is a massive mistake in my opinion - it just makes you look older and really sad.

I made the same mistake a few weeks back. My daughter bought one of these sloppy boyfriend cardigans from Topshop and looked great in it. I tried it on thinking how useful it would be for the Summer :1: I'm the same size as her but on me just made me look like an old bag/sack of spuds :11:

Mind you, my daughter would actually point this out to me - maybe Julia's daughter doesn't like to :redface:

When she first wore those leggings she did say on air that herself and her daughter had both bought them.

Trying to dress like your daughter and thinking that it will make you look young and trendy is a massive mistake in my opinion - it just makes you look older and really sad.

I made the same mistake a few weeks back. My daughter bought one of these sloppy boyfriend cardigans from Topshop and looked great in it. I tried it on thinking how useful it would be for the Summer :1: I'm the same size as her but on me just made me look like an old bag/sack of spuds :11:

Mind you, my daughter would actually point this out to me - maybe Julia's daughter doesn't like to :redface:

Yes, this is what I meant earlier, it's not just about weight/size. I think "high fashion" is for the young and you need to adapt it a bit as you get older. "10 Years Younger" sometimes do this, where they take a fashion item and show you how to wear it in your 30's and 40's. You can still look "on trend". Now where's my mini skirt and boob tube :54:

I disagree about it being a weight size issue, I'm a size 6 always have been, I'm 42 and petite and I think even at my age I could get away with wearing almost anything, I must admit the last couple of years I've been wearing mostly jeans but my tops are always trendy and young. I hope when I'm Julias age I still feel the same way about what I wear, I don't want to get old :32:

I am afraid I am guilty of not wearing things for my age which is 60. I am still in a size 12 I don't wear young fashions but I can't get out of trousers, polo shirts and fleece type berber jackets, I keep telling myself that I probably look silly and look like mutton dressed as lamb but I am comfortable. I am normally doing lots of active things so the clothes really relate to what I do on a daily basis. I keep telling myself I should start to wear what old folk wear but its not me.

Who do you dress for though? If you feel ok in it, and you like it, then shoulod that not be enough? Why dress like an older person.... and what does that mean these days anyway? Why says that certain cloths are suitable for " a woman of a certain age"???

That's a lovely sentiment but it doesn't work in reality - it's just life. I saw Goldie Hawn on some presentation recently and she looked gruesome. Even the rich and famous can get it horribly wrong sometimes.
If I were to turn up somewhere in a ra-ra skirt with my thr'pennies hanging out I'd probably induce severe vomiting - sad but true.
You don't have to look like a bag of scraps, but just respect you're not in that wonderful age-bracket anymore where youth can cover a myriad of wardrobe malfunctions.

In Julia's case I think she's further hindered by the fact she's got no taste.

I am afraid I am guilty of not wearing things for my age which is 60. I am still in a size 12 I don't wear young fashions but I can't get out of trousers, polo shirts and fleece type berber jackets, I keep telling myself that I probably look silly and look like mutton dressed as lamb but I am comfortable. I am normally doing lots of active things so the clothes really relate to what I do on a daily basis. I keep telling myself I should start to wear what old folk wear but its not me.

I think what you wear sounds lovely, Saphire. It's when women try to look like a clubbing 20 year old the trouble starts...

i have this problem too *groan*.

I'm in my mid forties - but I don't necessarily look my age.
I have health issues that have caused me to put on weight and I spend my whole time trying not to look pregnant!! I might be of an age where I would be too old to be pregnant, but because I look younger, I'm sure people sometimes think I am pregnant and that's embarrassing.....

I find clothes which I think will suit me and when I put them on there is this beached whale looking back at me *sob*

Annoying isn't it Lottie? I get dressed then spoil it all by wobbling around with a manky walking stick. Sometimes I think I should design some funky ones cos not everyone wants them to look so utilitarian....and dull:2:

There is a lady who shops in our local Sainsburys who uses an invalid scooter. Every time I see her I have to smile, she is immaculatley turned out, usually in bright pink or pale mauve with perfect make up and nails to match whichever colour she is wearing. Then to top it up she has the basket on the scooter crammed full of every colour flower that you could imagine (silk of course). She certainly brightens my shopping trip

I get dressed then spoil it all by wobbling around with a manky walking stick. Sometimes I think I should design some funky ones cos not everyone wants them to look so utilitarian....and dull:2:

Have a butchers here Calico. :pPC:

Julia's hair would be transformed if she had 3 inches cut off it and had it shaped. It would look thicker at the ends and would not be pulled down by its own weight. Its glorious hair, she keeps it a good colour and in lovely shiny condition.

Her fashion style is probably hampered by her large bust and she is not tall. She suits the bright colours because of her skin tone and hair colour, but the loose kaftans make her look large all over and the tight tops cling in all the wrong places.

She could do worse than look at how Kathy T has re-styled herself, with some lovely, quite flattering tops. I don't think it would take much to make her look a lot nicer.

Linda:33:

Wow! Thanks for that Sue. So much nicer than the manky things I've got and I can get ergonomic handles fitted and get the VAT back. No more boring sticks for me!:10:

We can go tripping the light fantastic together with our swanky new sticks eh!? Well, maybe not 'tripping'.. Lol!
;)

I accept Julia whaever she wears. In fact I don't really notice her clothing because I just like her, she seems radiant.

well I'm 45 but still love to wear upto the minute fashion, I do have the odd classic piece, but I have 2 pairs of skinnies, 4 or pairs of coloured tights, the odd just above the knee dresses, some 4'' glam rock black patent shoes with ribbon laces and a platform at the front, I don't give a damn how old I am, and my son would kill me if I dressed dowdy, lol, as long as the clothes suite me I'll wear em!

Latest posts

Back