JR & The Tweet That Went Horribly WRONG!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have been in several shops where the assistants are tweeting, texting or talking to other assistants instead of serving customers. Then they have trouble hearing me because of the loud banging music.

I think some of the comments regarding presenters appearance are apt in some cases. If a person chooses to become a television presenter then they should take care of their appearance, dress sense etc - surely that is a part of the job. Sometimes comments are quite pointed and people take offence. If you put yourself in the limelight I think you are not a shrinking violet and are able to cope with derogatory comments whether on a forum or attending an audition.

I'll grab me coat and run!

I have been in several shops where the assistants are tweeting, texting or talking to other assistants instead of serving customers. Then they have trouble hearing me because of the loud banging music.

Funny isn't it; not that long ago it was unusual to receive a personal phone call at work and if you did it it was generally an emergency of some sort. Now you have to wait until the assistant has finished his/her personal business before being attended to. I went the bank the other day and waited at the counter for 10 minutes until the gum chewing teller (a man well in his fifteis) finished counting money to fill up the cash machine.
To get back to the point; the presenters shouldn't have the ipads on air. It's pointless and annoying.

To get back to the point; the presenters shouldn't have the ipads on air. It's pointless and annoying.

I agree, and I would think that if JR is on air again with her ipad she will be wearing the bifocals that she so obviously need..

When asking for comments they're fishing for compliments. They have to accept the rough with the smooth.

Jude...a
xx

Had she said she didn't like the name that would be fine. She did the eye rolling and displayed ignorant rudeness that I associate with an era long gone, or so we thought.

Yes, I remember seeing that - on hearing the name Luna,she turned to the camera, shrugging and grimacing and said "Why ?" as in why would any parent name their child so ridiculously. It was incredibly rude and very embarrassing to see and I say that as someone who generally likes JR. All this was done in front of Marie Francoise, who had just told JR that her friends had named their new baby Luna - MF looked very nonplussed. It was incredibly bad form on JR's part and did make me wonder if that is how she behaves in the 'real world'.

I think some of the comments regarding presenters appearance are apt in some cases. If a person chooses to become a television presenter then they should take care of their appearance, dress sense etc - surely that is a part of the job. Sometimes comments are quite pointed and people take offence. If you put yourself in the limelight I think you are not a shrinking violet and are able to cope with derogatory comments whether on a forum or attending an audition.

I'll grab me coat and run!

my point exactly! which is why i get exasperated over the 'how would you like it?' 'put a pic of yourself on here' type comments. let's face it, most people in that sort of business are pretty tough - unless they fall into a job through nepotism, they have to be. the competition to 'get on the telly' is fierce. also it is generally regarded that any publicity is good publicity. i don't really think you can compare how someone with a big ego feels to how we might feel and it's certainly pointless to compare how they present themselves ON the tv, to how we should look when we're sat watching it!

they also need to realise and i'm sure they do, that if you choose to put yourself in the public eye, you are going to be criticised as well as praised. i do think it's unkind when people who don't ask to be in the public eye, like the royal family, come in for a lot of criticism but as far as i'm concerned if you choose to be on tv, you are fair game.

surely it's a no-brainer that certain jobs require certain standards of appearance. if you went to the queen's garden party, you wouldn't expect her to turn up in her t shirt and joggers with her hair standing on end.

... surely it's a no-brainer that certain jobs require certain standards of appearance. if you went to the queen's garden party, you wouldn't expect her to turn up in her t shirt and joggers with her hair standing on end.

...and a tiara!
You forgot the tiara

I agree that presenters should look well groomed and comments about their appearance are bound to happen and come with of the job however how is name calling ie vain cow and stupid b**ch acceptable. For the life of me I don't understand how folk get to hate people they don't know so much.

I went the bank the other day and waited at the counter for 10 minutes until the gum chewing teller (a man well in his fifteis) finished counting money to fill up the cash machine.

I think this is becoming the norm; politeness and courtesy are no longer in fashion. I waited in disbelief at a Tesco petrol till, while the young girl assistant made a huge fuss about the difficulty she was having blowing up balloons. She blew up two of them while I waited there with my credit card, until eventually she deigned to serve me. When I reminded her that she hadn't scanned my Tesco card, she said 'Yes, alright!" in an exasperated voice. Courtesy costs nothing - where has it gone?

I agree that presenters should look well groomed and comments about their appearance are bound to happen and come with of the job however how is name calling ie vain cow and stupid b**ch acceptable. For the life of me I don't understand how folk get to hate people they don't know so much.

:mysmilie_497:

:mysmilie_458:​

Imagine how irritating it would be if we went into a high street shop and the sales assistants were tweeting, rather than serving the customers. I reckon the manager would be bombarded with complaints. QVC should take note! It seems unprofessional to me.

I realise that the presenters are probably chuffed that Father Christmas bought them an iPad, or similar, but they are there to sell the products not to have private moments with their tweeters/twitterers, or whatever they're called.

And you can probably guess that I don't have an iPad and I can't comprehend the appeal of tweeting to find out what people are doing or thinking every minute of the day, but I do know 'good service' when I see it (and that's been in short supply recently from some of the presenters who seem fixated with clutching their iPads during a show.)

I don't imagine the presenters have suddenly decided to take their iPads with them to read tweets on air, surely some bright park behind the scenes will have come up with the idea and the presenters will be following orders. I can understand people find this annoying but if the presenters have been told to do this then it's not their fault.

I agree that this reading out tweets thing is annoying, I really couldn't give a stuff how many Kipling bags someone else has, it's boring drivvel!!

As for the insults to Julia, she's a woman in her mid fifties with bags under her eyes and a few pounds extra around the middle - shock horror get over it. She does her job brilliantly, so what if she is a bit flirty and giggly sometimes, I'd rather that than listening to the likes of Charlie droning on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Or Jill me me me Franks who is clueless as to what she's even talking about. I'd be happy to see Julia present every show!

I don't imagine the presenters have suddenly decided to take their iPads with them to read tweets on air, surely some bright park behind the scenes will have come up with the idea and the presenters will be following orders. I can understand people find this annoying but if the presenters have been told to do this then it's not their fault.

I don't know if they are in fact following orders or not, but from what I've seen it seemed to be Debbie Flint who appeared to be the first presenter following the Morning Show Will to read tweets on air.
Maybe because she seems to be into blog/utube/social network.
The only presenter prior to this with an ipad on air was Catherine but that was for her on air ordering.
I maybe completely wrong but considering some presenters openly say they don't twitter / facebook etc, I can't really see how the order from above is that they are to have an ipad and tweet.

How does saying someone is good at their job make me a sycophant. Think you need a dictionary ppc, saying as you like using that word so much you should at least know what it means

my point exactly! which is why i get exasperated over the 'how would you like it?' 'put a pic of yourself on here' type comments. let's face it, most people in that sort of business are pretty tough - unless they fall into a job through nepotism, they have to be. the competition to 'get on the telly' is fierce. also it is generally regarded that any publicity is good publicity. i don't really think you can compare how someone with a big ego feels to how we might feel and it's certainly pointless to compare how they present themselves ON the tv, to how we should look when we're sat watching it!

they also need to realise and i'm sure they do, that if you choose to put yourself in the public eye, you are going to be criticised as well as praised. i do think it's unkind when people who don't ask to be in the public eye, like the royal family, come in for a lot of criticism but as far as i'm concerned if you choose to be on tv, you are fair game.

surely it's a no-brainer that certain jobs require certain standards of appearance. if you went to the queen's garden party, you wouldn't expect her to turn up in her t shirt and joggers with her hair standing on end.

Up to a point I agree with you Janie..people who put themselves in the public eye might reasonably expect to receive both brickbats and bouquets - but what I don't like is the sort of thing we had on here a while ago where someone started a thread about a guest presenter, saying who would buy beauty products from such an ugly person..that to me is beyond the pale - we are born with our looks be they good or bad and yes, nowadays most anything can be changed but not everyone has the wherewithal or the inclination to go the surgical route, and I think it says more about the person making such comments than anything else. I have always and will always hate that kind of thing. OK little rant over - not getting at you Janie!

Just found this tweet off Debbie Flint 5th Jan

Yay! Have just set up iPad to use my tweets on air! @qvcuk x

Latest posts

Back