Jill Franks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

No, a comment like that would put off a lot of cat lovers. And, who doesn't like a cat? Only people who are allergic to cat hair, I think.
Lots of people allergic still like cats and even keep them taking antihistamine. I have sinus problems and hospital tests showed I was allergic to a number of things one was cats. They told be to get rid of my cats I said no! Up to me, I was told. So sinus inhaler and an over the counter generic allergy pill I am fine.

Now, I remember a friend when I was young who was terrified of cats, she nearly had a heart attack when she came to my house, and we had two cats wandering around. I thought she was weird at the time. But now know people can be frightened of dogs as well as cats.

Same thing happened to me a few yeas ago upon leaving A&E, not as drastic but as I walked out the dept, felt hot and wet down my arm, looked at it and saw blood dripping onto the floor and then a trail of blood drops behind me, such a weird situation.

When I finally learnt the water revelation for blood tests I mentioned it to a 'taker' about never knowning this until recently and she looked at me aghast and sarcastically said, yes everyone knows that and shook her head. I love the NHS but hate this attitude, my own DD is HCA but there are some 'Hattie Jaques' out there.
My sister spent 16 years dealing with a supposedly 'super' hospital & had to stay with her husband in that place for the last few months of his life to care for him. She has always said that HCAs are the angels & workers & without them the service would be stuffed.

I am going to try the increased water intake ruse. Maybe it will help. My problem is a very weak bladders, so it can be challenging with fasting blood tests.

Lots of people allergic still like cats and even keep them taking antihistamine. I have sinus problems and hospital tests showed I was allergic to a number of things one was cats. They told be to get rid of my cats I said no! Up to me, I was told. So sinus inhaler and an over the counter generic allergy pill I am fine.

Now, I remember a friend when I was young who was terrified of cats, she nearly had a heart attack when she came to my house, and we had two cats wandering around. I thought she was weird at the time. But now know people can be frightened of dogs as well as cats.
This latest tat peddler needs to sell tat, not come out with information that is of no interest to customers & totally irrelevant.

I am going to try the increased water intake ruse. Maybe it will help. My problem is a very weak bladders, so it can be challenging with fasting blood tests.
Even if you're running to the loo every 15 minutes the benefit of having hydrated blood wiil make it worthwhile.

Yes. People can have a fear of something some of us might think strange. It's easy to say, 'Get over it,' and laugh but it's practically impossible to do if the fear runs deep.

I drink between 1.5 and 2 litres of water a day. Your body eventually gets used to it and so I fortunately don’t spend all day darting in and out of the bathroom.

The worst offenders for frequent loo visits are tea and coffee because both are diuretics which means you don’t retain much of the water that was used to make the drink.

Yes. People can have a fear of something some of us might think strange. It's easy to say, 'Get over it,' and laugh but it's practically impossible to do if the fear runs deep.
She didn't say she was scared of cats, she said she didn't like them. She's not going to come in contact with them on the Q so should just zip it. I gave her the benefit of the doubt the first time I saw her, how silly.

It's things like this that makes me despair of the NHS; even I know that blood is 90% water* & blood donors are given water to drink before a session. My sister has regular blood tests & her most recent one has come back with skewed results so I'll ask her if she was advised to be hydrated before that test.

*I was allowed to drop Biology when I took my O levels & studied languages instead. Consequently I know very little about human bodies but can remember this & that taste buds live for 10 days.
I've not given blood after I had my last bout of pneumonia but we were always given at least half a litre of water. We were also told to make sure we were warm as well,not much chance of that after guzzling half a litre of ice cold water. I usually made sure I got half hot and half cold.

Oh, added to vanishing veins, I bruise at the slightest provocation, and I react to adhesive... so no plasters for me. The medics favourite sticky stuff is tegaderm. Supposedly low allergy, but this is the one I am most allergic to.
Needless to say, I'm not fond of the needle sticking business. If only someone came up with a way not to have a needle drawing blood. There is a woman on trial in the USA at present charged with fraud in relation to a company offering blood tests without needing it to be drawn by needle and syringe. It's an appealing idea. Shame it's not yet a reality.

I've read all of this. Why has no medical professional every mentioned the water/warm thing in my entire life? I can't do blood because "oh you have no veins" so I go through the trauma of trying every single vein, arm, hand, feet, me being hysterical and then "Oh well have it your way, we just won't do it then. Your fault we can't diagnose/treat". Maybe not so much my fault then.

You know what, I quite recently went to get blood at the doctors and there was a stand in nurse and she spoke to me about my fear and distress, asked me just to put my arm out so she could pat and see and then showed me the needle etc and I was OK with that and then she asked me to just look at some info on the desk and read it (all about needle fear) and then I said "OK just do it" and she'd already done it. Didn't feel a thing. Can be done.

I've read all of this. Why has no medical professional every mentioned the water/warm thing in my entire life? I can't do blood because "oh you have no veins" so I go through the trauma of trying every single vein, arm, hand, feet, me being hysterical and then "Oh well have it your way, we just won't do it then. Your fault we can't diagnose/treat". Maybe not so much my fault then.

You know what, I quite recently went to get blood at the doctors and there was a stand in nurse and she spoke to me about my fear and distress, asked me just to put my arm out so she could pat and see and then showed me the needle etc and I was OK with that and then she asked me to just look at some info on the desk and read it (all about needle fear) and then I said "OK just do it" and she'd already done it. Didn't feel a thing. Can be done.
No joined up thinking &, to be brutally honest, too many people who don't care. There are a limited number of NHS staff who take blood, phlebotomists & practice nurses who may do it occasionally, & they should never make the patient feel guilty. The online guidance doesn't mention being hydrated, only a few words regarding fasting tests, & the forms just hold basic info so the responsibility lies with the person requesting the test. Unfortunately I imagine most GPs aren't aware of the need to do this; ours haven't opened the doors since last March & before that there were some who went on Google for advice IN FRONT OF THE PATIENT.

I drink a lot of water to keep hydrated and also because it’s good for the skin/complexion plus kidney function, rather than for when I have a blood test done. My friend rarely drinks water, except in tea and coffee, and she’s had a lot of UTIs so that’s possibly related.

No joined up thinking &, to be brutally honest, too many people who don't care. There are a limited number of NHS staff who take blood, phlebotomists & practice nurses who may do it occasionally, & they should never make the patient feel guilty. The online guidance doesn't mention being hydrated, only a few words regarding fasting tests, & the forms just hold basic info so the responsibility lies with the person requesting the test. Unfortunately I imagine most GPs aren't aware of the need to do this; ours haven't opened the doors since last March & before that there were some who went on Google for advice IN FRONT OF THE PATIENT.
My doctor does that!!! He's totally not bothered that I can see him doing it and he's not young/newly trained either!

CC

My doctor does that!!! He's totally not bothered that I can see him doing it and he's not young/newly trained either!

CC
I prefer to compliment rather than criticise, I know that seems hard to believe, however, when I have to complain I do & do it officially. I have made complaints against doctors & nurses, for various reasons, one after being told that when my newly delivered premature baby had finished flapping I had to flush him down the loo & another after seeing a blood-soaked dressing under a hospital bed (surgical ward) & being informed it would be dealt with 'in a moment'. My response was that moment had arrived. Our taxes paid for their training & pay their salaries so in effect they work for us. I don't accept poor service & have no qualms about reporting it to the relevant people.

I find her so annoying whens she states "I" only have so many of these left it's not her Company.

I just put the TV on (can’t sleep - up 39 hours straight so far 😢) and Jill is on doing diamonique TSV hour.

She’s less annoying than sometimes...! Though she has been at the blusher..

But what shocked me was she said something about low TSV stock and said “I haven’t got many left”...
Then she stopped and corrected herself - saying “I mean WE, I don’t personally have any in my wardrobe..!”

So... has she been on here and read this thread, or has someone at QVC seen it and told her?
Does seem bit too much of a coincidence because she’s said I for years?!

Latest posts

Back