Jill Franks' Bulldog Stolen/Lost

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I check social media many times each day; an often retweeted piece is mentioning "a reward MAY BE offered". Prior, any tweet stated there would be a reward. A british bulldog is an expensive 'commodity' to some unscrupulous people; a pup can cost up to £2000. Scruncher, being 7, won't command that but maybe £6-700? He is still within - just - the age range to be a stud dog. When you consider a litter could produce 8 pups, that is £16000. Purpose served and she could get him back. I'm sure she would pay that to get him home. I know I would if it happened to either of my two boxers.

As time is going by, the inevitable seems obvious. The inevitable being 'doggie heaven'
As heartbreaking as it is, I personally would be able to sleep easier at night if I imagined my lost baby pet at rest, rather alive and suffering. Even if Scruncher is not suffering (lets say new owners are looking after him well) he knows something is not right, as his usual family isn't about, so with that in mind, I think it probably best he's passed on. The real heartbreak must be the where/why/how? Negative imagination/thoughts can be a dreadful thing, but in this case, there doesn't seem to be any progression, which is just prolonging the heartbreak.

I would be the first to do a 'whoop whoop' for Jill if he is found, but it seems very slim now. So very sad.

In 1985 a dear friend of mine seemed to 'walk off the planet' She just disappeared. She was never found. To this day I wonder where she went. Her handbag was found on a local beach with contents intact (all dry) -- including a birthday card for her Mother. Case was never solved. The not knowing is such a swine, it really is.

Hugs to Jill.

Last edited:
In the park walking my dog today I saw a dog as big as Jill's (same breed) and had to do a double glance but he had a lot more white on him and different markings.

Jill's blog and latest tweets, still no sign of her dog by the looks of things. Very sad.

I know many awful things happen to people everyday but missing your pet is heartbreaking too. I wish she would go on tv, something like 'This Morning' or 'Lorriane' to talk about missing dogs and raise awareness of her own dog's profile. If he didn't fall into the river then someone took him and someone, some where must know something.

Jill looked very pale when I saw her on the Butler & Wilson hour a week or so ago. :sad:

So he was going up steps other dog following him and distracted with the poo bin. That sounds better than many thought he was standing beside the dog and it just disappeared and if standing at the bottom of steps waiting unlikely to have fallen in the river.

i think jills recent illness is more of a breakdown, sad really... she didn't deserve this! those dogs were like her children.

She was replaced for one of her scheduled hours and we were told she was ill. Not sure we've had any other info. Several presenters have had coughs and colds recently so it could just be that.

It's likely a little more serious as presenters don't get paid if they don't work, as I understand it. I'm sure losing her dog was very distressing and I am not making light of the situation, but the fact remains that it was not a human being or her child. I'm sure anyone who has lost family / friends or a child would know that the agony of that experience likely outweighs the loss of a domestic animal. Although I dislike Jill Franks I do not wish her any misfortune / illness, but I feel that her dog has gone and that she will need to come to terms with this.

I imagine that the Franks household would be quite secure financially so I don't picture Jill having to drag herself to work when she's ill to make sure they can pay the gas bill. From what I've seen lately I thought she was doing a decent job of carrying on as normal. What has sparked the speculation about some sort of breakdown?

It's likely a little more serious as presenters don't get paid if they don't work, as I understand it. I'm sure losing her dog was very distressing and I am not making light of the situation, but the fact remains that it was not a human being or her child. I'm sure anyone who has lost family / friends or a child would know that the agony of that experience likely outweighs the loss of a domestic animal. Although I dislike Jill Franks I do not wish her any misfortune / illness, but I feel that her dog has gone and that she will need to come to terms with this.

I really don't think it's possible for anyone to know how another person feels, and for someone who doesn't have children, their pets are often 'the children they never had', so if Jill is grieving her beloved pet, she has the same right as anyone else who is grieving to do so in her own time and in her own way. When and how Jill comes to terms with loss of scruncher is her business. Unless I have missed something, Jill doesn't know what has become of scruncher, so she has no closure - hardly an ideal platform ftom which to move on.

if Jill reads this forum, I hope she feels supported and not judged, and as a pet owner I would also ask not tobe judged when I say I would be devastated if one of my pets went missing (although I have children and grandchildren too)and am fortunate to be surrounded by family, friends and colleagues who are sensitive and wise enough not to try to compare or measure how long/deeply a person should be 'allowed' to grieve.

I think it's quite natural to grieve the loss of an animal. I'm not saying it isn't. A few years back I killed a chicken in that happened to have escaped from a farm. It hit the front of my car which I was driving at about 50mph. I was very upset about it. When I told people at work they laughed at me and said "it's just a chicken, get over it" but I was upset. I hadn't meant to kill the chicken, or anything. I felt upset about it for several days. I am sure it would have been a even worse if it were a human being.

A pheasant hit the front of my car once on a quiet country road. So I reversed down the road and picked up dead pheasant and stuck it in a plastic bag. I think it may be illegal to pick up road kill that you killed yourself but I was the only car on the road. Arrived at boyfriend's house with ****** plastic bag.Telling g him I had dinner in bag. He went green so I prepared it and it made a tasty casserole supper.
As to pets I don't have them, I'd rather spend the money on other things and I hate having to pick up dog **** empty cat **** trays. A!so humans outlive pets and I wouldn't like the cycle of pet dies, grieve for pet, get new pet, it dies, grieve for it etc.

Well there's no law saying you have to be more upset at losing a person than a pet. I'm sure most people probably would be, but it depends on your relationships and how close you are to the people or animals. Surely anyone would grieve more for their dog of 15 years than some great aunt they'd met twice? I've lost plenty of friends and family, young and old, in all kinds of different ways, and without wishing to be controversial none of their deaths messed me up so much as the loss of my cat. I'm not suggesting that should be the case for anyone else, everyone's lives and relationships are different. And that doesn't mean I wasn't distraught to lose people too.

Latest posts

Back