It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

How's everyone doing with the snow today? We've got sleet not snow.

We've got it in mid Kent. Woke up to it starting to pile up a bit & it looks like it's set to continue snowing for the day. I'm pleased really as work are good about working from home in bad weather so at least if it was going to come along best it did today rather than when I'd normally be in the office tomorrow. Pearl, my dog has also wandered round in amazement, really excited & making yellow snow by her exited tinkling lol x.

Not a bit of snow here, had some on Friday night and now its completely gone, how can the forecasters get it wrong,
they'd an amber warning, but after that one flurry, nothing. Hope everyone is safe and inside, and poor BusyMum
sounds like you've got an awful lot of snow, and more coming, hope you dont have to go out in it xx

It's been snowing here again since 9.00 a.m. and, although at the moment it's small flakes, it is settling on the 4 inches of snow we had on Friday. My town even got a mention on the local news this morning because we are apparently going to bear the brunt of the band of snow that's sweeping across Northants at the moment. What a way to gain fame! :eek:

My Head Teacher's been in contact with me this morning, regarding a report I'm writing, and when she asked how much snow we've got here she said we might end up being closed tomorrow. That's a first for our school, but most of the staff live out of town so some of them might not get in. She'll text us all tomorrow morning to let us know. I'm not workshy by any means, but the thought of trying to get out of my road is somewhat mindblowing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can work from home tomorrow. As it's a Cul-de-Sac there's no through traffic to flatten the snow/melt the ice and once out of the Close I've then got to negotiate a steep hill to get to the main roads .... and we don't get gritting lorries up here.

What a shame they don't make WinterTrax for cars. :wink:

Sounds awful Toril, and good luck so you can work from home.tomorrow. Sounds dreadful. You can actually get snow tyres, but ive never tried them myself.

I also live in a culdesac at the bottom of it, and then a hill, but someone usually grits it if there's ice, snow , now thats another question, i'm

absolutely terrified driving it it. I've about 3 miles of country roads til i get to the motor way then another 40 minutes journey, so im just glad

i'm of work this week. I'm staying in, hope everyone else is safe,

Last edited:

They do sort of but there's not that much call for them over here - in Scandinavia for example, everybody routinely swaps to winter tyres. (Different compound, much higher grip, shorter braking distances etc.) You can buy them in the UK but they're expensive.........probably on a par with kitting out an Evo or something with high performance tyres I would imagine?

And snow chains but they're such a faff to get on & off, most people quickly decide they can actually get out of their local roads/lanes without them after all! LOL

Last edited:

Toril they make something called Snowsocks for cars, I looked into them last year for mine. They're a stretchy band made with Kevlar a bit like a steering wheel cover, you just have to stretch them over your tyres which looks quite easy on the video! They're reusable but have to be removed once you're off the snow or ice or you damage them, they weren't that expensive a set of four for mine would have been about £60, I know that's still a lot of money but for peace of mind and if it prevents an accident you might think it worth while?

Not a bit of snow here, had some on Friday night and now its completely gone, how can the forecasters get it wrong,
they'd an amber warning, but after that one flurry, nothing. Hope everyone is safe and inside, and poor BusyMum
sounds like you've got an awful lot of snow, and more coming, hope you dont have to go out in it xx

update on local radio, our snow will be later than expected...is that good, dunno?! DD's BF arrived a short while ago, he says our estate is the worst (he's come from Derbyshire, mad fool, must be lurve!). OH & DD got to go to work tomorrow but I don't (thank God!) I'm going to do a beef hotpot so it doesn't matter what time anyone gets home tomorrow, it'll be ready!!

Toril they make something called Snowsocks for cars, I looked into them last year for mine. They're a stretchy band made with Kevlar a bit like a steering wheel cover, you just have to stretch them over your tyres which looks quite easy on the video! They're reusable but have to be removed once you're off the snow or ice or you damage them, they weren't that expensive a set of four for mine would have been about £60, I know that's still a lot of money but for peace of mind and if it prevents an accident you might think it worth while?
That's right DD the chap who looked at our boiler on Friday had some and they were brilliant going up our hill! We only just managed to get up it today! Don't know about tomorrow though :(

Been snowing here since 9.30 this morning, the powdery small flakes sort, and is now about 3 inches deep!

It's not let up here today in SE Surrey - fine snow but persistent, still coming down.

Room with a view

016.jpg

Oh blimey jabba, i.hope.you don't need to go out all . Hopefully you've got enough of everything. ie food and wine!!

Frazzled that's a gorgeous picture.

Thanks ........... I may well look into those, although whether I'll be able to get them on the tyres without ricocheting across the road remains to be seen. :eek: The neighbours will think I'm trialing a new catapult. The main roads are not too bad apparently (according to my ex who had to go to the shops because they'd run out of bread and milk) although they are slippery, but for me it's getting down to the main road which is the stumbling block (or should that be the slippery slope? :wink:)

Well .......... this is a first for my school! I've just had a text to say that we're shut tomorrow "due to the weather conditions and site safety." And with more snow due tomorrow, according to the weather map, who knows what will happen on Tuesday. Another lie in hopefully. :wink:

It's stopped in mid kent, but loads of it about on the ground. Where is it still snowing? x

Latest posts

Back