Is it ACTUALLY Paraiba Tourmaline??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Martinjay - A valuation is not about value or worth. It is for insurance purposes only. Not re-sale. There are gemstones such as Alexandrite, unheated/untreated Rubies, Bixbite etc., where IF you have bought a very high grade gemstone, it may become an investment piece. However, for Topaz, Citrine, Amethyst etc., it's worth, typically, a fraction of what you pay because it's available for peanuts so akin to buying a new car and driving it off the forecourt - you immediately lose money. I would NEVER get such a piece valued or insured as it's a total waste of money.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about this. :handshake:

And something else we can probably both agree with: at the end of the day, if the purchaser is happy with what they've bought and the price they paid, it doesn't really matter what the value of the item is or how much it's worth.

I'm not really into jewellery, which may explain my jaded view. :happy:

Insurance valuations are a scam because if you loose a piece chances are the insurance company would want to see the original invoice anyway but the high cost valuation just covers a replacement and don't forget that if you bought a piece for 599 pounds but got insured you would be paying the higher premium on the valuation of 4250.00 !!!!!
... Birmingham Assay Office... is it so independent????

A few years ago I was unfortunate enough to have a break in at home and lost jewellery - some old and some new. The insurance company paid out on the strength of valuation certificates, not original receipts. You don't have to pay a higher premium based on the valuation. You could insure it for what you paid for it provided the valuation certificate confirmed it was worth at least that. However, you would get paid out only on the basis of the insured value if you lost it.

According to their website, the Birmingham Assay Office was founded in 1773 and is the largest Assay Office in the world, testing and hallmarking precious metal items as required by the Hallmarking Act. If I worked there I would be greatly insulted to have my professionalism and integrity questioned. Are you seriously suggesting it's not totally independent???!!! That's a rhetorical question by the way. They don't value items, just verify the authenticity of the precious metals used in their manufacture.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Meeshoo and Lambchop and support everything they have written. I really couldn't have said it better. Martinjay the only thing I can agree with you about, is the fact that jewellery should be bought because you love it; anything else may be a bonus, but really does not matter. I love jewellery and have collected it since I was a child, everyone bought me jewellery. It has lasted longer than toys and sweets.

Does anyone know what this actually means? http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/wroughtplate.html Steve mentioned that he was a "Guardian" a while back, and I'll admit some concern. He's always banging on about his "friends" at the Assay Office and claimed that it was one of these that had said his gold price twaddle seemed okay. I must confess to wondering if he's a Freemason given that he has so many "friends" in various businesses and institutions. xxxxxxxxxxx

Some info:

"The 1773 Act of Parliament appointed 30 local men as 'Guardians of the Standard of Wrought Plate in the Town of Sheffield' to supervise the work of the Office.

Even as early as 1773, Sheffield already had an established tradition of fine silverware production so it was interesting, but entirely appropriate, that the number of Guardians who were also silversmiths was restricted to just ten to ensure that the Office offered an independent and impartial service - and was run for the benefit of the consumer rather than the manufacturer. After all, the hallmark is the oldest form of consumer protection that exists.

So, almost two and a half centuries ago and right at the start of its long and fascinating history, The Sheffield Assay Office put a marker down for independence and integrity. In those early days, most of the assay business came from within a 20 mile radius and precious items were literally presented 'over the counter' to be assayed."

and

"Administrative history:

Sheffield Assay Office was set up by Act of Parliament in 1773, when local silversmiths, who resented the inconvenience of having to send their wares to London for hallmarking, joined with Brimingham petitioners to ask Parliament for their own Offices. Despite fierce opposition from the London Goldsmiths' Company, an Act of Parliament was passed, granting both Sheffield and Birmingham the right to assay silver.

The Act appointed 30 local men, including Thomas, third Earl of Effingham, as 'Guardians of the Standard of Wrought Plate within the Town of Sheffield' to supervise the work of the Office, the day-to-day running of which was entrusted to the Assay Master. The Assay Master was obliged to take an oath before the Master of the Royal Mint. A second Act of 1784 increased Sheffield's radius of registration from 20 miles to 100 miles, thus including Birmingham.

Sheffield Corporation Act of 1903 permitted the Office to assay and mark gold as well as silver, and the nature of its work was further changed following the Hallmarking Act of 1973."

Looks like all the Assay offices have Guardians.

I just love this Forum..........thank you Graham for it ....................

The truth will out and thank goodness we live in a democracy and can speak our mind. LOL.

But I am cautious as ArgeyBargey and wary that Steve Bennet banged on about being 'a guardian' at the Birmingham Assay Office, which is affiliated to Safeguard Valuations.
No conspiracy theories, just erring on the side of caution , for me anyway considering the porkies spewed out on Gems TV these days.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about this. :handshake:

And something else we can probably both agree with: at the end of the day, if the purchaser is happy with what they've bought and the price they paid, it doesn't really matter what the value of the item is or how much it's worth.

I'm not really into jewellery, which may explain my jaded view. :happy:

I can give you examples but in all honesty you have to really know jewellery/gemstones to understand value (I'm not being rude by saying that). It's a bit like asking somebody about intricate knitting where your only exposure to it is looking at a jumper - if that makes sense!

There are gems and jewellery and then there are GEMS and JEWELLERY! There are distinct differences between a perceived and actual value. For example, somebody might assume that if they buy a Tiffany Ruby ring, they get top of the range goldwork, diamonds, Rubies etc. That is absolutely not the case! Tiffany's goldwork is really hit and miss - some of their shanks are really shoddy! Their diamonds are a lower grade that you can buy at other high end stores (or even a good jeweller). Their Rubies are typically highly treated - but you would suspect they would have untreated/unheated. The difference in price between the two is enormous. So, somebody buys a Tiffany Ruby ring for £20,000 and if you knew where to shop you could buy a better Ruby and commission a better ring/better diamonds for thousands less (and end up with something more valuable and actually worth the money)!

I absolutely 100% agree that people should only buy what they love and never think about re-sale value. I have never bought something thinking it'll be an heirloom or I'll be making money. I buy to please me. If I'm lucky enough to make a good purchase then that's a real added bonus.

There are plenty of people on here who, on occasion, get bored with their jewellery and decide to sell it. Very very very rarely will they get back what they paid for it because although the initial selling price may be high, second hand jewellery doesn't hold its value (apart from rare stones etc).

However, valuations are a totally different animal they are NOT an indication of worth. They are purely for insurance and replacement. People get very confused by this.

Just been watching the auction of Gems TV Lorique 10ct Paraiba Tourmaline ring.
Had my finger hovering over the 'tempted to buy it button' but it was quite included and not quite as neon in the photo but I think at 1650 pounds it was fair price and it went.

Steve mentioned that he was a "Guardian" a while back, and I'll admit some concern. He's always banging on about his "friends" at the Assay Office

From the Birmingham office website (acknowledging any copyright):

"The Birmingham Assay Office is not controlled by the trade – unlike the older assay offices and halls which were originally administered by the Guilds – but by a board of 36 Guardians of the Standard of Wrought Plate in Birmingham, of whom not more than nine or less than six may be connected with the trade."

For a full list of the Guardians (not that any of the names mean anything to me - apart, from the Countess, Lady, Earl and Lord of course :smile:) go to:

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/wroughtplate.html

LC

Try googling....................

IS 'Steve Bennett involved in the Birmingham Assay office' and on the web page
www.gemstv./content/ourstory.aspx

Under the paragraph Biography of Founders-Steve Bennett.

I quote
" In his spare time Steve Bennett is a Guardian of The Birmingham Assay Office and also sits on the Ethical Mining and Fair Trade Committee run by the ICA "

Try googling....................

IS 'Steve Bennett involved in the Birmingham Assay office' and on the web page
www.gemstv./content/ourstory.aspx

Under the paragraph Biography of Founders-Steve Bennett.

I quote
" In his spare time Steve Bennett is a Guardian of The Birmingham Assay Office and also sits on the Ethical Mining and Fair Trade Committee run by the ICA "

I thought we had already established this beyond any shadow of doubt. His name appears in the list of Guardians on their website (click on the link in my previous post), along with many others. It is no secret and, whilst not defending or supporting anyone, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

LC

Oooooooops , sorry .

As I say to my son sitting his exams .....Read the question properly!

Must practise what I preach ? Hey? LOl

Latest posts

Back