Is Alison Oreiliy engagement ring real diamonds ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

diamonds

Registered Shopper
Was watching the diamonique show and noticed she was showing the eternity diamonique ring next to her engagement ring .It was large emerald cut diamond with two baguettes on side .was just wondering as she said she has or is working in jewellery .if so must have cost the earth .

She acquires wedding jewellery for clients and most of them are handmade from stones she sources. Everything is in the higher price range so I would say no expense has been spared in her own.

When I've seen her on shows in the past she has said that her engagement ring is real diamonds.

I'm not watching but have seen her engagement ring in the past and for someone who deals in "high end" diamonds, I'd have expected hers to be of better quality, the main stone stone seemed slightly yellow meaning it's not grade D, and also noticed a few inclusions in it, she should've opted for cut glass Diamonbleek, much better quality, or so she says.

I'm pretty sure Alison has said her diamond are very slightly included. Not sure I've ever heard her mention the colour.

Blimey Shopperholic you must be eagle eyed. I can't even see the flaws in my own diamonds without a jewellers loup!

I'm pretty sure Alison has said her diamond are very slightly included. Not sure I've ever heard her mention the colour.

Blimey Shopperholic you must be eagle eyed. I can't even see the flaws in my own diamonds without a jewellers loup!

Exactly what I was thinking!

When I watched, it was a while back now, the camera went right up to her ring comparing it to the cut glass one and I seen a black spec, yours is obviously eye clean so you'll only see any inclusions, if there are any, with a jewellers loop, just like the telly did with ARs, it magnified the ring more than a jewellers loop would've done.

Sorry just adding I didn't see you mentioned the jewellers loop, no offence meant I was just giving my opinion of her ring.

Last edited:
If you see item 608966 video ,you will see her ring .yes it does look yellowish but it's a big stone .

I'm sure that she has said that it is real diamond previously, but on watching the video that diamonds suggested all I can say is that I have a ring that is in the exact same style and looks very similar in size thats diamonique that I bought about 18 months ago for £20.... in fact upon watching the video for the second time with my ring on my finger, its hard to tell them apart... mine is less yellowy, thats the only difference.

There was a secondhand diamond solitaire I saw online some months ago, nearly 2 carats and described as "an old mine-cut diamond" - obviously difficult to tell for sure even from a good photo on a website, but no colour or clarity was mentioned, and although it was a huge rock, you could clearly see the black inclusions in it and that it was yellowy in colour, didn't look at all attractive, to be honest, apart from the sheer size - price = over £11,000 2nd hand. Because the stone was so large, the inclusions showed up even more to the naked eye.

With small stones even if they are fake they look believable ,but large stones look fake even if they are real except maybe celebrities ,even fake looks real .

I like mine cuts but I also love cushion cuts so that makes sense. I've only got one ring with mine cut diamonds and I don't have a cushion cut diamond full bleeding stop!

I've got rose cut diamonds though. Those are easy to spot.

I agree Diamonds. The larger stones often don't look better than eek or similar. And you can get so much sparkle from small and even wee diamonds if they're good quality and well set.

I just like my sparkle. :eek:)

Where did this Alison woman come from ? is she who she says she is ? or just 'another ambassador' for the range : and why do they need her ? For years Q presenters managed quite nicely extolling the virtues (?) of d'eek without the help of "someone in the industry" talking about a few bits of glass. Someone else on the payroll then.

I think the diamond (or eek) is showing a rear reflection from the gold surround of the table which is adding a yellow hue. The cut of the stone means it will reflect less light and sparkle. You'll never convince me there is any way any of us can spot inclusions with any certainty from an on screen shot - that would have to be some very big fault line to be obvious to the naked eye- it's more likely a speck of dust or a small eyelash.

As to why diamonds and not eek... do any of us really think Alison would or should choose eek for her engagement ring when she has the choice of a diamond? By doing so she's not saying eek isn't good enough - she's just making her choice within her budget.

When I watched, it was a while back now, the camera went right up to her ring comparing it to the cut glass one and I seen a black spec, yours is obviously eye clean so you'll only see any inclusions, if there are any, with a jewellers loop, just like the telly did with ARs, it magnified the ring more than a jewellers loop would've done.

Sorry just adding I didn't see you mentioned the jewellers loop, no offence meant I was just giving my opinion of her ring.

Just seen your edit. None taken. I was thinking more of taking you shopping the next time I buy a diamond!!

A few years ago I bought a second hand, 18ct yellow gold Victorian ring with 3 small diamonds set into it. It cost £430 but I was told to get it independently valued. I wore it for the day and then realised that diamonds don't do anything for my skin tone so decided to keep it for my eldest great niece as it is pretty and diamond is her birthstone. I took it to 2 reputable jewellers and had it valued. I know it's an insurance value but it was between £1500 and £1750. I was staggered. Apparently, although the diamonds are small they are exceptional quality - whatever that means. In one of the shops I tried on a huge rock and the elderly gent said what I'd thought - a diamond is not for me. Shame.

Most people have a limited budget when buying a diamond ring. Only the very lucky few can buy without considering the price first. It`s all down to personal choice whether you buy quantity over quality or vice versa. A big diamond with ( often ) visible flaws and poorer colour or a smaller diamond with good colour and invisible flaws.
I love all things sparkly but nowadays I hardly wear what I have, let alone adding more to the collection but I did weaken on holiday and bought a ruby and diamond cluster.

I can't possibly say I don't like diamonds because I absolutely do but I also like coloured stones. Particularly morganite and smoky quartz. I've very recently had a smoky quartz ring made for because it was so hard to find what I wanted in rose gold. SQ is hard enough to find in gold these days.

I think some of my friends are a little surprised at how "plain" it is. I think they assumed that having it made would mean something edgy or unusual. Its neither. Its very classic. A beautiful SQ oblong cushion cut stone set north/west fairly high above a surround of 2mm diamonds. I was able to choose the SQ but I let my jeweller chose the diamonds. He also said he thought 9ct gold would give me the colour I wanted. The finished piece is stunning. I didn't think it was OTT on price particularly as its an absolute one off and it came in under the maximum I wanted to pay for an off the shelf piece. Not sure insurance value would be much more than I paid for it but this isn't about monetary value to me.

Its THE ring for me. I don't think I will ever buy another SQ ring now I have this.

Latest posts

Back