in the salon with SBC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I tried the last TSV, didnt really "get it". I think the gels just feel a bit strange and sticky, psychological I know but I am used to putting creams on my skin rather than gels. Also sadly allergic to the collagen gel and the collagen cream, my skin went red and bumpy. I wanted to like it as I like the idea of minimalist packaging and just concentrating on the product themselves.

I tried the last TSV, didnt really "get it". I think the gels just feel a bit strange and sticky, psychological I know but I am used to putting creams on my skin rather than gels. Also sadly allergic to the collagen gel and the collagen cream, my skin went red and bumpy. I wanted to like it as I like the idea of minimalist packaging and just concentrating on the product themselves.

i guess as a fella i didn't have any issues with creams v gels, didn't really think about it. i have sensitive skin and SBC has been great. Use the propolis after shaving and the collagen gel is great, i decant some into a smaller bottle and use at the gym.
still prefer the former presenter (can't think of her name) i've never really taken to the new one.

The vile colours of the gels are a bit off-putting; especially the pink gloop that is the collagen gel. AY is always saying that the gels aren't sticky which, of course, is a direct lie. Most of them are just water, alcohol and a bit of glycerine plus colouring and a tiny bit of the supposedly active ingredient. Any benefits are likely to be wishful thinking - the placebo effect.

The vastly over-priced collagen serum is good as a filler/matte primer. The collagen, of course, simply sits on the top of the skin and does didly squat (like all collagen products), but the other ingredients block up the tram lines nicely. I'm using my stock up but wouldn't re-order.

And, my, isn't the Lorraine replacement a bore....

Apparently the Jasmine & E Primrose gel is for something called "Extreme Characteristics". Should be perfect for kimmontrealcanada coming up later...

Last edited:
I just couldnt use the collagen shower cream because of the vile sickly pink colour!

I can see how the gels would be great for the guys to use.

The SBC shower gels/bath stuff is packed with Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS) which is a cheap detergent and makes the stuff foam. It's dries my skin out terribly so can't use any products with it in.

SLS is often present in higher end brands. Molton Brown is packed with the stuff.

I stopped using Molton Brown when they disappeared from QVC, so now have a cupboard full of L'Occitaine soap and shower gels instead!

I may be wrong buy I thought my local Molton Brown store has closed down in the Mall. I may have been on the wrong floor though.....someone said the stores are always empty since they were taken over and left QVC. I always thought that was a silly move.

I stopped using Molton Brown when they disappeared from QVC, so now have a cupboard full of L'Occitaine soap and shower gels instead!

I may be wrong buy I thought my local Molton Brown store has closed down in the Mall. I may have been on the wrong floor though.....someone said the stores are always empty since they were taken over and left QVC. I always thought that was a silly move.

L'Occitane is packed with SLS too. No different to SBC, just sexier packaging, nicer colours and fragrances. I think only the Almond shower oil stuff doesn't have SLS in it. I can't use L'Occitane bath stuff either.

Yes, I noticed empty MB shops too. When I was in Manchester a while ago I walked past it. Whopping big shop but no-one in it. Silly prices too.

Yes, I noticed empty MB shops too. When I was in Manchester a while ago I walked past it. Whopping big shop but no-one in it. Silly prices too.

The outlet in the Lowry is always busy. They've got Christmas gift sets for a third of the price at the moment.

going off at a tangent, does anyone know which QVC ranges don't contain Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS), and how can we find out before buying ?

Linda xx

The simple answer is No because they will not publish the ingredients on their web page.

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS) is bluddy poison & the root of all my problems. SLS is a cheap foaming agent used to clean car engines & garage floors

There is a range called 'Naked' that is SLS free
http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/products-1
also available at Boots

Look out for SLS in anything that foams - including toothpaste

In a haze of pre-meds confusion, I ordered the SBC OTO last night. Thanks to you savvy people I just rang to cancel as Snarly's den is SLS-free. Told it was too late to cancel, I should refuse delivery, then will receive full amount. I asked question, how do I find out the ingredients ie: SLS. He said, back of the label. I said, no before I order. His reply, we only have size, item number, no ingredient listing, that's on the label. Anyone willing to take on this cause? MissyMissFabulous appears to be busy. And definitely not Moi; I've proved my moments of sanity are only sporadic blips.

The person in the ideal position to take up the cause is Julia Roberts.

I have long looked at her eye bags & wondered if she had the same sensitivity that I had.
That 'wonder' was confirmed on air when Lulu made a remark about Julia's eyes & Alison Young confirmed she was sulphate sensitive

Take up the cause Julia!

Dont know if its still the case without checking, but Liz Earle products always used to be free of stuff like that, as did Aveda which is why the shampoos dont foam well but still get the hair clean. Now both companies have been bought/gone into partnership with other companies known for having much cheaper ingredients, who knows.... LE shampoo does not foam much but my hair is always clean after and I dont always need to use conditioner.

The simple answer is No because they will not publish the ingredients on their web page.

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS) is bluddy poison & the root of all my problems. SLS is a cheap foaming agent used to clean car engines & garage floors

There is a range called 'Naked' that is SLS free
http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/products-1
also available at Boots

Look out for SLS in anything that foams - including toothpaste

We're big fans of the Naked range in this house!

I can't use SLS in shower gel/shampoo either, and I've found (after much searching) the following products that I don't react to - Green People shower gel, The Body Shop Earth Lovers shower gel (I use the unscented one), the Naked one from Boots, Naturally Thinking range (they sell online), that's about it really, boring shower time for me!

I swear by SBC's arnica gel and propolis gel but can't use the bath/shower gels cos of SLS sensitivity. I have been known to put arnica gel on my back and aching muscles and then get in the bath as an alternative and avoiding SLS.

Liz Earle is the only range I use for body wash/bath gel/shower gel. Adore the orange flower body wash and have done since it's launch. Also use the LE shampoo as face and body wash without any reaction. I have just had a mastectomy and have been able to use Liz's range all the time without any problem.

Checked my Weleda Citrus Creamy Body Wash-no SLS|Parabems, ingredients are listed on their site. Checked my catalogue-shows Lavender|Pomegranate|SeaBuckthorn|WildRose|Calendula for variety! You guys have been a goldmine today. What Celia's mama said about sulphate sensitivity resonated with me and I read my meds insert to make sure I wasn't ingesting any that way (sulphates/sulphur give me the itchies). Looked Okay but thought to check web. Discovered maximum dosage of drug reduced to 40mg/day late 2011. Uh, nobody told me as I am on 60mg! Will make appointment with Dr. but first wanted to thank you guys. Citalopram, by the way, 'cause I know you're curious! Heck, I know I would be. For depression, to save you googling it. lol

You have to be careful with SLS as another ingredient which is actually from coconut sounds very simple.

Liz Earle has parabens and sees nothing wrong with them. They are out there in everyday life and even used in medicines too.

Sodium Laureth Sulphate shouldn't be confused with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which products like Naked I think include in their ingredients. Its a different chemical. However, unsure whether it would still affect those with sulphate sensitivity

Latest posts

Back