"If you are over the age of 30"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

IceT

Registered Shopper
"You must be body moisturising!" says Fiona sternly whilst flogging System Corps.

Must I, Fiona?

Well, here is something you could consider, Fiona: I don't body moisturise and still my skin is lovely, smooth and soft.

Tut, tut... How did I ever manage to keep my skin in one piece for the last 8 years, I'll never know!?:headbang:

I like soap n glory shower gel. Makes my arms soft and much cheaper Fiona!

I don't understand why people get so upset and nasty about the presenters on this forum. She's only telling you what to do to maximise your chances of having good skin. If you don't care about that then don't watch. Watching QVC beauty shows is the same as walking into a high end beauty dept store. The products aren't cheap and you are paying for higher end ingredients and luxury, but you know that when you walk in. If you think high end skincare is a waste of money, don't waste your time watching the shows and winding yourself up.

... She's only telling you what to do to maximise your chances of having good skin. ...

No, she's flogging product of high price and dubious efficacy. It's amusing to watch, occasionally.

Fiona, and the other potion pushers, know that you maximise your chances of having good skin by eating the right foods, drinking enough water and exercising. Alas, there's no money there for cosmetic firms. Other than that any straightforward moisturising agent will do. Add a bit of SPF and go for prescription strength retinol if you want to do something effective for "anti-ageing". The rest is mostly nice packaging, pongs and pretend.

If you want a multipurpose moisturiser/cleanser/bath emollient, but a big pot of Epaderm for a tenner in Boots. Its no frills, has no fragrance or colour, and comes in a functional white pot. You can use it for everything and its blinking good stuff. No need to buy Decleor high end lotions and potions. Unless you want to, that is!

I don't understand why people get so upset and nasty about the presenters on this forum. She's only telling you what to do to maximise your chances of having good skin. If you don't care about that then don't watch. Watching QVC beauty shows is the same as walking into a high end beauty dept store. The products aren't cheap and you are paying for higher end ingredients and luxury, but you know that when you walk in. If you think high end skincare is a waste of money, don't waste your time watching the shows and winding yourself up.

because it's a forum about shopping tv..where opinions are voiced, if you don't understand the forum then using your own logic why waste time posting and winding yourself up?

What makes me laugh is when AY tells viewers that, after years of using their very expensive moisturisers, balms and creams from whatever range, once you hit a magic age you need to start buying more products designed for older skin.

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of using all the expensive creams etc was to prevent you having "older" skin? I agree with earlier posts that how your skin looks is down to genetics, nutrition and how well you protect it (and that skinny makes you look older), but is rather amusing when companies contradict themselves in order to make sales.

I moisturise my body three times a week when I have a bath and exfoliate, I don't have dry skin so my skin is fine. If you do have very dry, dry skin yes good idea to moisturise more often. But normal or oily then a few times a week.

I used to think I was weird as all these beauty editors etc kept on about moisturising from head to toe every single day.

Know what? Its all these showers and baths using the bath foams and shower gels making your skin drier to start with.

OOPPSS!!!!! By the way I do wash inbetween baths. Just incase you think I don't!!!!:tongue:

The products aren't cheap and you are paying for higher end ingredients and luxury, but you know that when you walk in. If you think high end skincare is a waste of money, don't waste your time watching the shows and winding yourself up.

Actually Molten Brown is a case in point against what you say here. It's been found to contain cheap ingredients. The "luxurious" element of this brand is the marketing.

BTW I do moisturise all the time and usually use High Street (people at QVC Towers probably crossing themselves as we speak!) ie TBS and Boots and find them fine for me. The only QVC moisturiser that I have wowed over - from memory I have tried L'Occitane and Elemis (not Decleor) - is the LE Nourishing Body Cream. I have still not found a body cream equal to this. Now this product is worth it's price as it softens my skin all day long.

What made me smile on the Decleor show last night was Charlie telling us that we'd all be amazed at Tanya's age and that it's all down to Decleor.

How old do we think Tanya actually is then? If she's 85 then Decleor certainly is a miracle range, but if she's in her forties (which she looks) then her plump skin is down to the fact that it's her job to look good and she probably spends a lot of time achieving it.

I actually really hate moisturiser.I hate the feel of it on my skin,and I'm yet to find out of the thousands of high street ones,I try,something that doesn't feel like its just sitting on my skin.I do use one with a "tan" in it for the summer - it looks nice - but it still feels horrible.

I've recently had to go for quite major planned surgery.On the appointments leading up to the surgery,one doctor did comment on how the skin on my arms was so dry - and the surgery was not skin related.It has made me think I ought to use.......I just can't bear the feel.....and theres no way I'm paying £30+ for one!

What makes me laugh is when AY tells viewers that, after years of using their very expensive moisturisers, balms and creams from whatever range, once you hit a magic age you need to start buying more products designed for older skin.

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of using all the expensive creams etc was to prevent you having "older" skin? I agree with earlier posts that how your skin looks is down to genetics, nutrition and how well you protect it (and that skinny makes you look older), but is rather amusing when companies contradict themselves in order to make sales.

Totally agree H C. I have always thought this too. If you follow their advice and start slapping on their "miracle products" from the age of 25 then in theory as time rolls along you would stay looking 25 forever and never ever need the gunk made with Martian dust\fish oil\melatogenie whatisname\hocus pocus\Lulu stuff\tears of an unicorn\dying breath of a fairy\essence of a rare orchid that only blooms every 50 years in a far away jungle and all the other fantasy that they peddle.

My skin has got more and more dry as the years have gone by and I do now use a body lotion most days but I can't say I use it EVERY day. I made myself use up every lotion and potion I had in the house before i was allowed to buy anything new back in March. My god I've bought and used some great stuff and some right old rubbish and plenty of mediocre. One of my favourites remains Elemis' milk bath and that has a really light texture that doesn't feel like it will moisturise at all but it does and at full price is about £16. But my other big favourite is a £2.99 L'Oreal 7 day moisturiser. So guess which one I'm now using regularly!

There was only one that I could not bring myself to use and that was a high street one that left my skin feeling sticky ... Johnson and Johnson all day moisture or something. And I'm never buying another body butter. Even though I have dry skin it doesn't suit me at all.

Last edited:
Most of the time I just can't be bothered to use body moisturiser as it takes too much time, or it seems to. It's the sort of thing that sits about in my bathroom for ages unused whilst I go through shower gels etc

I have terribly dry skin due to an auto immune disease. My body attacks all the exocrine glands so I get v dry skin, dry eyes, mouth and a few other problems as well. I have to moisturise otherwise I just itch itch and then scratch all day like a dog with fleas. I use the Epaderm stuff as previously mentioned but my guilty pleasure is Kiehl's Creme de Corp and the body butter version of it. Both are very pricey (picked up a 500ml size of CdC on EBay for half price) but is the other body lotion/butter than truly moisturises my lizard like skin. I alternate daily between Epaderm and Kiehl's. I've no doubt Kiehl's is horribly overpriced for what it is, but I like a teensy bit of luxury with the ****** miserable autoimmune disease. My daughter bought me a Korres Fig body butter (in a pump) for Xmas and that's also very nice, but not as moisturising as Kiehl's. A 500ml pump bottle lasts about 6 months, using 5-6 pumps daily, so at least it's economical when the cost is spread over 6 months

Latest posts

Back