"If you are over the age of 30"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I still don't understand why people feel the need to make nasty comments about the presenters' appearances. They're only doing their job. If you think expensive skincare is a con and nivea or whatever is just as good, fair enough, but rather than sitting behind your computer writing about how hanging you think Fiona and Tanya etc look, how about you post photos of yourself and we can all judge the results.

Not that I'd ever condone having a go at someone based purely on appearance (stop sniggering at the back, there!), but there is one massive difference between us lot on this forum and shopping telly presenters, guests and models; they try and use their appearance to flog products and we don't.

Now, I'd merrily upload a pic of my fizzog, but I wouldn't want to put any of you off your evening meals.

Not that I'd ever condone having a go at someone based purely on appearance (stop sniggering at the back, there!), but there is one massive difference between us lot on this forum and shopping telly presenters, guests and models; they try and use their appearance to flog products and we don't.

Now, I'd merrily upload a pic of my fizzog, but I wouldn't want to put any of you off your evening meals.

You mean that isn't you in your avatar HoodedClaw?

@BurlyBeaR

No! :tongue:

My insides are like a waterfall and the toilet bowl no longer needs any toilet duck :clapping:

I still don't understand why people feel the need to make nasty comments about the presenters' appearances. They're only doing their job. If you think expensive skincare is a con and nivea or whatever is just as good, fair enough, but rather than sitting behind your computer writing about how hanging you think Fiona and Tanya etc look, how about you post photos of yourself and we can all judge the results.

If this forum consisted of only positive feedback and comments about the personalities on shopping telly channels then I strongly suspect that it wouldnt generate enough hits to keep running. You may not like it, but the fact is that many people like to both criticise and read criticism and often those are the threads that get the most comments and views. The forum isn't here only to meet your needs, but everyones. No one is stopping you from posting what you want or criticising th content of your posts, I suggest you let everyone else get on with doing what they want to do. If any rules are broken the mods will step in. Thanks.

I wasn't going to bother replying to your first post as you just came up with some unsubstantiated accusations of my post being nasty to the presenters (I prefer to class it as straight talk, thank you very much).

But since you are so persistent, let's give you the satisfaction: my objection is to their selling spiel which is based on - "listen here QVC audience, I am an expert, know what I am talking about; you must do such and such or else you are in trouble, your skin and looks will suffer" selling propaganda.

It's a big fat lie and a con. If you are happy with their brainwashing propaganda designed to fleece the unsuspecting viewer off their hard earned cash, by creating insecurities, then fair do's, you keep watching and buying yourself.

There is nothing "nasty" in my opening post. I object precisely to the above and reserve the right to air my view on this forum or anywhere else for that matter. If that upsets someone's equilibrium, then I suggest they need to set their sensitivity threshold levels up a notch, or else please "don't come out to play".

As a rule, I refrain judging people based on their looks just for the sake of it. However, what others have commented on the fact that if the "skin-care-pushing-experts-and-presenters: we all use it too, brigade" are sporting faces that are evidently contradicting their own claims and hard sell propaganda, then I personally can't object to that evidence.

Lol
It's all in the name.
There is a perfume, but it's not chip fat ..... though I could explore that!

To follow on from IcedT, I would really like to know how all the beauty reps manage to get away with all the over -exaggerated claims that spew out of their mouths. Surely it is a case of miss selling and here's me thinking that is illegal.

You may not like it, but the fact is that many people like to both criticise and read criticism and often those are the threads that get the most comments and views. The forum isn't here only to meet your needs, but everyones.QUOTE]

How sad that slagging off strangers meets peoples needs. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself I suppose.

Not that I'd ever condone having a go at someone based purely on appearance (stop sniggering at the back, there!), but there is one massive difference between us lot on this forum and shopping telly presenters, guests and models; they try and use their appearance to flog products and we don't.QUOTE]

The guest presenters are there to use their knowledge of the brand to sell products, not their appearance.

It's funny how no one criticises Dennis from Ojon for being a man with a shaved head selling hair products, but all the women presenters get stick over how they look.

Anyone looking for a nice and inexpensive body moisturiser should have a look at the Duo pots from the Body Shop. One side is a lighter cream, the other is a body butter, both in the same fragrance. Awesome for covering all of your bits, dry and not so dry and they smell gorgeous! I used it on a sunburn recently (new to Australia, got caught out...) and it really helped :clapping:

The guest presenters are there to use their knowledge of the brand to sell products, not their appearance

To an extent I would agree with you White Russian. And in most cases, the product & the representative remain detached - except in the beauty business where the representative should be living proof of all claims.

If a knowledgeable representative of a brand stands before me & says that their product has a 300 thread count, I believe them.
If another tells me the the technical specification of a camera, I believe that person.
My belief is based on the knowledge that misrepresentation has consequences in law. Yet for some reason that I am not able to fathom, the beauty business is bristling with dubious claims.

If a woman with issues regarding facial slackness and loss of firmness stands there and tells me that if I spend £92.52 it will address my issues of "slackness and loss of firmness" & it will leave my skin looking "firmer and plumper", then I'm afraid not only do I not believe that representative, but I will protest that such claims are downright untrue because ......
If she told me the cream would make my skin feel moisturised and comfortable, I would look at her and I would accept that.

It's funny how no one criticises Dennis from Ojon for being a man with a shaved head selling hair products, but all the women presenters get stick over how they look.
I believe Dennis has issues with thinning hair and therefore shaves his head. He has never suggested that his product would make hair re-grow.
As for just women getting stick, I believe Philip Kingsley's hair raised some comments on this forum.

Dennis isn't a presenter. And didn't he originate the Ojon brand? Which he's allowed to do whether he uses the stuff or not; what's the betting that the makers of Tampax aren't all pre-menopausal women? Does that make Tampax wrong for not only employing people who would use their products? :taphead:

But how many of the guests come on air spouting about the miracles the brands these brands have done for them? The extremely jowly PRAI woman and Lulu (with her plumped-up hamster cheeks full of Lord only knows what fillers) banging on about their wonder creams? :thinking:

Plus I think you'll find that the male presenters get their fair share of criticism for their selling techniques. I'm sure that Craig Rowe, Charlie Brook, Mic(h)eal Whatzisface, and Dale Franklin would agree with me. So might Richard Jackson, when he's not busy fiddling with that persistent weed in his pockets.

But a good try, nevertheless :clapping:

Last edited:
But how many of the guests come on air spouting about the miracles the brands these brands have done for them?

Sorry for that: either the medication hadn't kicked in, or the alcohol hadn't wore off :hi:

You may not like it, but the fact is that many people like to both criticise and read criticism and often those are the threads that get the most comments and views. The forum isn't here only to meet your needs, but everyones.QUOTE]

How sad that slagging off strangers meets peoples needs. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself I suppose.

Simplistic and naive. Not to mention that slagging off strangers is exactly what YOU'RE doing.

I don't think you can equate price with how good the ingredients are for the skin. Many very expensive products and brands contain copious amounts of sodium laureth sulfate and derivatives, and also mineral oil (petrolatum). Both of these ingredients are not good for the skin. The first is a very cheap detergent that strips and disperses oil, the second is a very cheap petroleum derivative that coats the skin and stops it from breathing and functioning properly. The only two ingredients that have been found to have significant beneficial effects on the skin are Vitamin C Ester and Retinol. However, once you stop using them, your skin will stop showing the benefits. Skinceuticals, Alpha H and a few others do Vit C serums and Philosophy, Medic-8 and a few others do retinol treatments. I now stick to Vit C serum in the morning and retinol in the evening, using an SPF day cream and cheap moisturiser in the evening.

All moisturisers do is sit on the surface layers of the skin and provide a barrier to the external environment. It is the treatments you put underneath that have an effect, not the moisturiser. Anything other than these Vit C/Retinol products are nice to use but will have no significant effect. You are certainly not guaranteed to receive high-end ingredients by paying high-end prices. Molton Brown bath and shower products, Decleor Alguaromes shower gel, Elemis Milk Bath, Perricone nutritive cleanser etc all contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate and I have even had to send some Decleor products back in the past for containing mineral oil. Many ranges are trying to move away from this. For example, many of Elemis' new shower products are SLS free because they know consumers are now wise to this ingredient. I live in hope that Elemis will take SLS out of their milk bath and aching muscle super soak....

PS if any of you watch The Apprentice, you will have seen Alan Sugar say that if he hadn't gone into electronics and computers he would have gone into beauty because the mark-up is around 97% on treatments and over 90% or so on products. That about says it all...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back