I just don't understand the hype ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Me too, hate Radleys. However they are a surprisingly good investment. I bought one once in Debenhams with penguins and an igloo on.(I love penguins). It cost 75 quid. I used it once and kept it in the dust bag at the back of my wardrobe and forgot about it for a couple of years. I sold it on EBay for £350. Apparently it was limited edition!

Last edited:
Back in the days when I was new to Q, and believed what they told me, :giggle: I ordered a Liz Earle TSV mainly to try the C & P.
Soon decided it was no different to anything else and that it was probably the muslin cloth which actually did the cleaning and that the cloth could be used with any cheap and cheerful make up remover. Which is what I now do.
That was my first and last skin care order.

Also, fell for the Nail Envy hype- why, I don't know,
:confused: as my nails had never really given me any problems. Well, they hadn't, until 2 days after the 30 day MBG on the nail Envy ran out, whereby they started peeling of in layers :sad: Never touched the stuff again. Took about a month for them to settle and have steered well down clear of anything simiar since.

I also don't like Birkenstocks. I bought a pair, tromped about in the house to seat them in and then sent them back because they were so uncomfortable. They also made my feet look like boats.

To be honest, I no longer get hyped up about anything that QVC sells nowadays. I would never spend hundreds on a handbag, or on Emu boots or similar. I cannot justify the cost when I have bills to pay. I did buy a pair of Emu slippers when they were a TSV and they were lovely, but the black soles left marks on my cream carpet so I no longer wear them.

I don't like patterns on clothes so that rules out Kim & Co, Ronni Nicole, Tiana B and the like.

BUT, between getting Freeview in 2003 and moving house in 2009, I spent thousands with QVC :eek: because I fell for the hype. I didn't realise how much I'd spent until they sent me a full print out of all my purchases. Now I generally only buy repeat items that I know work for me or I shop for the same item on the secondary market.

And this forum has certainly 'cured' me of shopping for stuff I don't want, thanks to the great posts that are submitted. I think I'm more addicted to this forum than I am to shopping channels. :wink:

I love Birkenstocks and as I have severe arthritis and other problems with my feet if I could wear them all year round I would and I am not a lesbian I am happily married to my hubby x I do suffer from very dry skin on my face caused by medication and I have tried Liz Earle and Elemis but nothing works..I do own 2 Kipling bags both presents, I like them but I will not be uying loads of them..I own B&W rings and necklaces and a bag also but 1 of the necklaces that I was bought as a gift for my 40th has a stone missing and as I do not have the reciept they will not repair it for me, it was ordered from the B&W website ..I have just bought some NN bedding it is nice to sleep in but when I got it out of the packet the sheet looked as though it had been packed by a 4 yr old..My sister in law is addicted to QVC and I think must buy at least 2 things everyweek, her main indulgences Kelly Hoppen and Lulu Guiness..

i love my birkenstocks and wear them as soon as i am able to weather permitting. love them for holidays on the beach and have a black patent pair that look really smart. i have 5 pairs but wont buy more as they never fall apart.

I don't like Birkenstocks either, I had a couple of pairs in the past and whilst I found them very comfy they are so ugly!

One thing I don't get is Kim & Co and how popular it is not my thing at all but, hey we are all different (I love Elemis & Kipling!)

I bought a pair of birkis in the QVC clearance ready for the summer. I am hoping that I'll find them comfortable. As I always wear trousers they should look ok. As we barely have a summer here then they should last many years, can't remember the last time I wore out a pair of sandals.

Birkis...no ta, I don't get the hype either, I live & die in my FlyFlot clogs! I think Birkis are ugly and feet are ugly - end of! Kipling..yes, half a dozen, tho I was a late convert. ABC skinwash is my major repeat purchase from QVC. I bought lots of jewellery in years gone by, which I recently flogged off, so I had both the pleasure of wearing it and got something back on it, which I hadn't expected. I've tried Elemis, Decleor, Gatineau and others over the years, now I stick to the high street brands and save myself some cash - in my early days of QVC I fell for all the spiel but not now, I think my skinwash is about the only thing I buy, and the odd Kipling.

I don't like Birkenstocks either. I have never seen another shoe that makes feet look soooooo ugly!

IF I had lots of money (I already have the 'no sense' bit) I would buy loads of Kipling bags just for the monkeys!!

What I don't understand (and I am in a serious minority here) is the mania surrounding Tanzanite. I know that's not just QVC but they fuel it same as everywhere else. I know it will run out one day but then so will/have other gems. But colourwise it's no more special than anything else to my mind - it's just another gem and does nothing for me at all!!:sweat::sweat:

I DO agree with the Tanzanite theory. Its almost 10 years ago that it was brought to QVC - thats when I first started watching - and I remember Dale being SO serious about how we should buy it now because stocks were due to run out within 10 years - Um, hello,, the 10 years are almost up, and there is no sign of it being mined out yet !

I used to think Birkenstocks and Kipling bags were a bit too utilitarian and functional for my tastes which tend towards items that are pretty rather than practical. However I find both are so useful and practical for my day to day life.However when I go out I am a heels and leather bag girl. I am lucky enough to have smallish quite pretty feet (if any feet can be considered pretty!) and I look after them so they look ok in Birkies. Not keen on the Kipling monkeys but my friend's little girl is always pleased to take them off my hands!

Never got the hype about nail varnish, and the "preeesteegous" brands, I just buy stuff from Boots and am quite happy with the cheaper brands, maybe if I got into leighton Denny or Nail Inc etc it would be the start of another addiction so I am staying clear! I like Elemis but can take or leave Liz Earle, Decleor and I just laugh at Prai I am afraid.

Love Birkenstock, loved them way before QVC started to sell them, I have ugly feet so it changes nothing on me anyway, don't pay QVC prices either. Don't know why people call it hype when clearly some people get results from Birkenstock, seems to be a draw for like and dislike on this forum through the years. I do know I can't wear standard shoes because of my extemely broad feet and used to have fallen arches and difficulty walking until I found Birkis. I even wear crocs too but proper shoe designs, not traditional look. I like Kipling, like Elemis, used to be love but the prices and Keely debarcle changed that.

They just have a look of 'my grandad likes to wear them with socks' about them.

Eugh.

I have to wear an orthotic and find Birkenstocks are about the only sandals that are suitable for me.

Talking about something that was an unsatisfactory purchase from Q... well, I never knew my cooking was so delicious until I tasted Diet Chef. Lucky Q, caught me at a time I was too busy to go through the palarva of returning it so they won that one, never again I'm afraid.

As I'm hyper allergic to skin creams I can only use Nivea which saves me a fortune.

I tried on some birkies at tkmaxx too, but I felt I was walking uphill in them as they were so very flat so not for me either, but I've seen someone wearing some flowery ones and they looked very nice on her.

I love Birkis too, but wore them before I saw QVC, I guess they are trendy in the same way as Uggs, which I won't pay for...I think Kipling bags are very overpriced but then many years ago I bought one of their backpacks unknowing that it has a part for a lap top (it's pretty old) and it's come into it's own now..the monkey has gone though! It has lasted and lasted, the zips are excellent but I find their handbags unappealing!

I have lots of Alegria shoes and sandals which I stumbled upon when surfing, I was amazed when Ideal World flogged them last year at high prices, but I've bought many of their shoes from their US on-line shop - they have overtaken all shoes for me!

I love my Birkinstocks but find QVC really expensive, I bought a lovely orange pair of Gizeh from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for £25.00 and no postage, what I don't get are the Kipling bags. :talking:

Latest posts

Back