How not to wear a pair of trousers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Even in my parenting days, us mums didn't meet up for anything that wasn't central to the children..We'd have a natter whilst the kids were playing at playgroup, took them to petting farms, the cinema and maybe maccy D's for a treat. Playdates were had at one another's houses. No dressing up to the nines and sitting around in coffee shops or bars whilst the kids looked on bored stiff. As long as the clothes we went out in fit, and were clean (at the start of the day anyway) then we were good to go! And as far as the toys went, imagination was still a big part of play time, bought a lot from ELC back in the day...what happened to them? I guess we've gotta remember that was in the last century..God that makes me feel old! I remember being shocked when a much younger relative bought her daughter a toy cooker that actually cooked...fgs I thought, why didn't you spend a bit (a lot) less and buy her a play kitchen, and perhaps take some time out and make some proper cakes with her, instead of squeezing out pre-prepared luminous pink gunk from a packet, squeezing it into a unicorn shaped mould and putting it into this crazy contraption, then sticking on Disneyfied stickers. God knows where all this is gonna go...maybe back to basics...you never know!

Even in my parenting days, us mums didn't meet up for anything that wasn't central to the children..We'd have a natter whilst the kids were playing at playgroup, took them to petting farms, the cinema and maybe maccy D's for a treat. Playdates were had at one another's houses. No dressing up to the nines and sitting around in coffee shops or bars whilst the kids looked on bored stiff. As long as the clothes we went out in fit, and were clean (at the start of the day anyway) then we were good to go! And as far as the toys went, imagination was still a big part of play time, bought a lot from ELC back in the day...what happened to them? I guess we've gotta remember that was in the last century..God that makes me feel old! I remember being shocked when a much younger relative bought her daughter a toy cooker that actually cooked...fgs I thought, why didn't you spend a bit (a lot) less and buy her a play kitchen, and perhaps take some time out and make some proper cakes with her, instead of squeezing out pre-prepared luminous pink gunk from a packet, squeezing it into a unicorn shaped mould and putting it into this crazy contraption, then sticking on Disneyfied stickers. God knows where all this is gonna go...maybe back to basics...you never know!
ELC closed their shops & moved into Mothercare & they've now gone, so much stuff is now available in supermarkets & online so the days of stand alone clothing & toy shops are numbered. I have two daughters, both working mums & they're totally engaged with their children, as are the other mums they know. I look after one of our grandchildren two days every week, her imagination is a delight - I spend a lot of time on a drip, as does one of her dolls, while she serves us cake & tea. She has parents who take her for walks, read with/to her, have given her a small patch of garden for her mud kitchen & where she's given annuals to plant & have never used TV, a tablet or their phones as substitute parents.

My biggest bugbear ?

Being in the middle of an adult conversation, then suddenly the person I'm talking to is suddenly distracted by their child , usually when the child wants something. Trying to re-ignite the conversation after a 2 minute break is ****** infuriating and a waste of time.

If I did that as a child to my mother if she was talking, I would be told to mind my manners as she was speaking. It taught me to respect elders, and not to interrupt while people are speaking. Being on the phone can lead to problems too, someone starts talking when they clearly see I'm speaking on the phone, I just turn to them and say "don't be ignorant, cant you see I'm speaking?". It happens all the time on the tele, which speaks volumes.

My biggest bugbear ?

Being in the middle of an adult conversation, then suddenly the person I'm talking to is suddenly distracted by their child , usually when the child wants something. Trying to re-ignite the conversation after a 2 minute break is ****** infuriating and a waste of time.

If I did that as a child to my mother if she was talking, I would be told to mind my manners as she was speaking. It taught me to respect elders, and not to interrupt while people are speaking. Being on the phone can lead to problems too, someone starts talking when they clearly see I'm speaking on the phone, I just turn to them and say "don't be ignorant, cant you see I'm speaking?". It happens all the time on the tele, which speaks volumes.
I had a mate like that... she was so involved with her child that it was literally no point in trying to have any kind of conversation with her unless she was completely alone. One time at hers, and child was completely safe and had plenty to keep her occupied, she was just so distracted that she was obviously not listening to a single word I was saying, and when the child interrupted our conversation, she'd immediately switch her attention to her, and when the child was sated...she showed no interest in resuming where we'd left off..but even bigger a bugbear, she be like it on the phone, I'd deliberately try and phone her when it was more likely to be convenient...but even so she'd break off conversation to talk to the kid, then even worse than that would tell me that Emily wanted to say hello...then she'd put the ****** 2 year old on the phone...silence..."say hello to Suz Emmy"...silence...then eh oh..I'd say hello Emily..and she'd leave me hanging and not take the phone back of the kid...now say bye bye...silence...by...good girl Em...Bye bye, you know how...If that had been me as a child..it would've been "go away, I'm on the telephone" So yes, I'm totally with you on that one!

O
I had a mate like that... she was so involved with her child that it was literally no point in trying to have any kind of conversation with her unless she was completely alone. One time at hers, and child was completely safe and had plenty to keep her occupied, she was just so distracted that she was obviously not listening to a single word I was saying, and when the child interrupted our conversation, she'd immediately switch her attention to her, and when the child was sated...she showed no interest in resuming where we'd left off..but even bigger a bugbear, she be like it on the phone, I'd deliberately try and phone her when it was more likely to be convenient...but even so she'd break off conversation to talk to the kid, then even worse than that would tell me that Emily wanted to say hello...then she'd put the ****** 2 year old on the phone...silence..."say hello to Suz Emmy"...silence...then eh oh..I'd say hello Emily..and she'd leave me hanging and not take the phone back of the kid...now say bye bye...silence...by...good girl Em...Bye bye, you know how...If that had been me as a child..it would've been "go away, I'm on the telephone" So yes, I'm totally with you on that one!

I'm loving these posts. I'm relieved it's not just me that feels there's so much wrong in this digital age and that our age had it harder but so much better.

Latest posts

Back