Her Majesty

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Of course they did, they are the state broadcaster, plus given they have now said she died this afternoon, it clearly was known somewhere in the corporation but announcement was clearly to be given at a certain time.
A friend of mine works for ITV and knew in the afternoon. I presume information like this isreleased to all the news agencies at the same time.

A friend of mine works for ITV and knew in the afternoon. I presume information like this isreleased to all the news agencies at the same time.
It does erode trust in the BBC though, they were broadcasting live most of the afternoon pretending she was still alive when they knew full well that she wasn't. They needn't have done any of that until they were allowed to announce it.

And then there was blanket coverage of the SAME broadcast on EVERY radio channel, so you just couldn't get away from all the words. They could at least have one channel broadcasting music, even if only solemn music.

It does erode trust in the BBC though, they were broadcasting live most of the afternoon pretending she was still alive when they knew full well that she wasn't. They needn't have done any of that until they were allowed to announce it.

And then there was blanket coverage of the SAME broadcast on EVERY radio channel, so you just couldn't get away from all the words. They could at least have one channel broadcasting music, even if only solemn music.
It was on a lot of channels last night.
What was annoying on the listings it was still showing what should have been on.

It is very difficult for the news media in that situation. They can't just pretend it isn't happening and start broadcasting the normal schedule but of course they know in advance, as do other people in services close to the household. But there is a protocol in terms of announcements and it has to be followed.

No it doesn't, there is a protocol in these situations that the BBC and other news organisations whilst they may be told certain things earlier they must follow what the protocol is. There has long been a plan in place as to protocol when time came, Operation Unicorn and London Bridge

No it doesn't, there is a protocol in these situations that the BBC and other news organisations whilst they may be told certain things earlier they must follow what the protocol is. There has long been a plan in place as to protocol when time came, Operation Unicorn and London Bridge
I had radio 4 on all afternoon, they cancelled some programmes in the afternoon and put special programmes on eg with Evan Davies, and they DID PRETEND that she was still alive when she wasn't.

I know all about the protocol etc, but they should not have put these special programmes on at all unless they could tell the truth, they could have continued with their usual programmes until they were allowed to make a true announcement.

But in the circumstances, it's probably better not to discuss it further.

Good on QVC still being off screen. Ideal World defo didn’t waste any time broadcasting again. They were straight back on 1st thing this morning.

I had radio 4 on all afternoon, they cancelled some programmes in the afternoon and put special programmes on eg with Evan Davies, and they DID PRETEND that she was still alive when she wasn't.

I know all about the protocol etc, but they should not have put these special programmes on at all unless they could tell the truth, they could have continued with their usual programmes until they were allowed to make a true announcement.

But the point is they aren't allowed to tell the truth. At the same time it is impossible to pretend nothing is happening in these days of Parliament being televised and social media etc. So some information has to be released. I agree it becomes silly in the last hour when they are still pretending the person is still alive but they have no choice. Were they to tell the truth news outlets would be heavily sanctioned for contempt.

But the point is they aren't allowed to tell the truth. At the same time it is impossible to pretend nothing is happening in these days of Parliament being televised and social media etc. So some information has to be released. I agree it becomes silly in the last hour when they are still pretending the person is still alive but they have no choice. Were they to tell the truth news outlets would be heavily sanctioned for contempt.
Exactly, they were not allowed to tell the truth. The news was embargoed, which is not unusual, news gets embargoed most days.

I have a loft of respect for the royal family but it did seem ridiculous yesterday spending ages just filming hours outside of Balmoral, waiting for further news to come through, they could have continued with normal programmes until more info was known, but am sure others will disagree. I am surprised Q have stayed off air, even had an email from Molton Brown saying they weren't opening stores today as a mark of respect

Well the biggest representation of mis-information was a couple of years ago when the offspring of the Sussex's was born. At midday we were told she was in labour, then it was utter chaos for the next few hours, until the news came through that Archie had been born, but it turned out he was born around 6 am that day ! it was like Brian Rix farce with no mention of weight, or where in fact she gave birth ! And so its been with that branch of the family ever since.

Newsreaders dressed in black or wearing black ties  before any official announcement is an announcement in itself, in my view.
The announcement around lunchtime about Her Majesty being comfortable was the harbinger of doom. When life is on a knife-edge, medics use the most cosy language. No dramatic fighting for life, rather it's described as being poorly... no life is ebbing away, rather being comfortable.
At least she was at a home she loved, in true seclusion.
I think it no accident that Anne as well as Charles were already close by in Scotland. I think it no accident that engagements had brought the Sussexes over this side of the pond.
It feels weird to think of Charles as His Majesty... and I feel the name King Charles is an albatross, given his namesakes' time on the throne... and the fact there's a namesake spaniel! I think he will have a very different style to his mum, but he will carry it off well, I believe.

According to reports by people who are close to the family she died at 2:37 this afternoon & the cause was bone cancer, the reason for the mobility problems. Many close to her say it was triggered by stress, partly the loss of Philip though that could have been “accommodated “ but mostly brought about by the stress & upset caused by Andrew but far more so by Harry & Meghan. That is what the family are said to believe according to family I have who live close to Balmoral & know some of the visitors to the house well.
That's interesting because a family member who knows someone connected to the Royal family told me months ago that she had bone cancer. If the time was 2.37 that's sad that William and the others didn't arrive on time (not interested in Andrew or Harry). She's had quite a bad time lately losing her husband and the antics of her son and grandson. However she did live to see the Jubilee which is lovely, even if she couldn't play a huge part. And my favourite part of the Paddington Bear sketch was them tapping out the beat of We Will Rock You with the spoon on the tea cup!

That is what I said on another forum, maymorganlondon.

Charles I beheaded

Charles II no heirs, great fire of London and the Black Death. James II his brother became king and well the Stuarts did not do well after that.

Someone on that forum wanted to know what would happen to money with Elizabeth II on it? I said it will no doubt still be in circulation for a few years.

And did you hear that a BBC journalist tweeted at 3.07pm that there had been an announcement that she had died and then she withdrew it saying sorry I got that wrong, there hasn't been an announcement. Its a bizarre thing to get wrong and I felt at the time that she had probably passed away and that the tweet was correct.

Latest posts

Back