Has my lightbulb moment arrived?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I went to see "The Lady in the Van" this week and I did think if I had to live in a van where would I put all my Q beauty products. I've got stuff everywhere and I haven't bought anything for yonks. Shameful.

I've just seen a great word:

oniomania: an uncontrollable desire to buy things.

Greetings to fellow oniomaniacs, recovering oniomaniacs and reformed oniomaniacs!

My name is Leighton Orient and I'm an Oniomaniac. There, I've said it! And I haven't bought much today either. Just some more candles but there was a free gift that was 'worth' more than I spent, so I sort of made money on that one, and some Chilly bottles that stay cold for days and hot for hours....they'll be useful when I'm actually trapped in the one room of the house that isn't stacked full of sh.....things. My precious things!! Isn't Lady in the Van fabulous! But I think we'd all need 2 vans. and some of Alan Bennett's house.

I had my 'lightbulb moment' this week too.

I ordered two packs of Easiyo as it was on free P&P but they didn't arrive.

I phoned the call centre and was told they would send a form that I would have to sign and return to declare that I hadn't received the goods, I had no problem with that at all.

The form came on Monday but there was no pre-paid envelope to return it in so now I have to make a 10 mile round trip and pay to park simply to buy a stamp and envelopes!!! So their courier cocked up but I have to pay for the privilege of declaring that they cocked up!!!

Like most of you I have spent £1000s with this wretched company over the past 15 years and over that time the customer service has declined while the P&P has become extortionate.

Apparently when they get the form someone will phone me to discuss what happens next...what happens next is that I will be closing my account.

I bought nothing anywhere today - never been over the door and haven't watched any QVC except for this morning and I'm not in the market for gadgets. Really trying to reign myself in after I found TWO lots of Molton Brown minis in the linen cupboard. Why am I hiding them for Gods sake?? Mmmmm maybe cos then it will seem like I didn't actually buy them lol.

Keep your money in your purse people. Saying that, if there is something that I do need and QVC have it at a good price then I will still buy, but I just want to cut out all the needless things.

CC

Ladies and gents ...I am not going to justify things or make life difficult for everybody who realises there Light bulb moment ....but something really pulled me up yesterday .....a neighbours (who is a lovely fella) wife has been diagnosed with incurable advanced cancer ....she might not live this weekend Bless her ...I've shed a few tears ( so upset for them and brings up memories ) ...this neighbour is feeling suicidle bless him ( just gotten over cancer himself ) ( that made me cry too when I heard) ...he has 200,000 in the bank ...at the the age of 70 something ..his wife is really suffering , they haven't really travelled etc .....yes we all have moments when we think crikey what I have done? ....please don't chastise yourself for too long ....life is fragile ..you enjoyed the moment ..you haven't committed a terrible crime ...it really made me think of my priorities and try to stop thinking of things that drag me down ...live and love and enjoy ...try not to regret for too long.....:mysmilie_848::mysmilie_852::mysmilie_492:.

You're right May life is extremely short and fragile, when we hear of someone with the big "C" it smacks us in the face that we're not going to live forever. I think we all know someone that's had the "C" (I don't like saying it) or suffered ourselves and question what have we done with our lives, we've probably all done at least one act of kindness, so in my opinion that's what we've done, and that changes the world a tiny bit each time. My legacy is my beautiful children and grandchild (hopefully there are more to come) they're good people so that's what I've contributed to the world.......... so when we beat ourselves up that we haven't done much with our lives, remember that act of kindness and know that that's not true.

Ladies and gents ...I am not going to justify things or make life difficult for everybody who realises there Light bulb moment ....but something really pulled me up yesterday .....a neighbours (who is a lovely fella) wife has been diagnosed with incurable advanced cancer ....she might not live this weekend Bless her ...I've shed a few tears ( so upset for them and brings up memories ) ...this neighbour is feeling suicidle bless him ( just gotten over cancer himself ) ( that made me cry too when I heard) ...he has 200,000 in the bank ...at the the age of 70 something ..his wife is really suffering , they haven't really travelled etc .....yes we all have moments when we think crikey what I have done? ....please don't chastise yourself for too long ....life is fragile ..you enjoyed the moment ..you haven't committed a terrible crime ...it really made me think of my priorities and try to stop thinking of things that drag me down ...live and love and enjoy ...try not to regret for too long.....:mysmilie_848::mysmilie_852::mysmilie_492:.

What terrible news, May. One minute to think that you have the time, and suddenly to be told that there is a definite and soon end to that time is horrifying. They must both be in shock, and no doubt you are as well.

You are so right about the perspective this puts on our QVC shopping, and our priorities overall. The truly important things in our lives are the people we love that are in it.

Regrets for the past don't help our present situation. We're best to forgive who we need to - including ourselves - and live the best we can, for the time we have.

L
You're right May life is extremely short and fragile, when we hear of someone with the big "C" it smacks us in the face that we're not going to live forever. I think we all know someone that's had the "C" (I don't like saying it) or suffered ourselves and question what have we done with our lives, we've probably all done at least one act of kindness, so in my opinion that's what we've done, and that changes the world a tiny bit each time. My legacy is my beautiful children and grandchild (hopefully there are more to come) they're good people so that's what I've contributed to the world.......... so when we beat ourselves up that we haven't done much with our lives, remember that act of kindness and know that that's not true.

That is so true Shopperholic ...the legacy we leave behind is what counts ....we just don't know what is around the corner ... enjoy your stash /Liz Earle/ loccitanne ..whatever it is ..unless you've had your house repossessed and the Bayliffs in ...I don't think it matters ..Kindness and the love of your family ..treasure them ......:mysmilie_480:

What terrible news, May. One minute to think that you have the time, and suddenly to be told that there is a definite and soon end to that time is horrifying. They must both be in shock, and no doubt you are as well.

You are so right about the perspective this puts on our QVC shopping, and our priorities overall. The truly important things in our lives are the people we love that are in it.

Regrets for the past don't help our present situation. We're best to forgive who we need to - including ourselves - and live the best we can, for the time we have.

Yes maymorganlondon..I was just walking the dog and was given the news ...the worst bit hearing that his wife cannot even be cuddled as she is in so much pain the poor lady ...horrendous ..you've Said it so well too ladies ..thank you xx

Terrible news for those people. Thinking of them and those nearest and dearest. Everyone thinks they've got time but one day you haven't and that day could be any day for anyone.

CC x

Sorry to hear about your neighbour May, it's so sad and yes life is so unpredictable.

Thank you very much for your kind words ladies and gents ...yes it's the suddenness for sure ...the neighbour who broke the news took him with their dogs for a walk but he just was not with it bless ..they walk them everyday usually . him ....it really pulled me up as it does most of us in our lives ...and the.memories flood back of our own sad losses of course ) ....I wish I could help more ...many thanks again and I will try and not let the niggles of life become molehills ...it just is a waste of our precious time ...( we all do of course we do but I'm determined to think twice ) ...thank you again this lovely kind forum xx

Hi lovelies ......just to let you know I have not had any news as yet ....you've all been so kind ...just wanted you to know x

I had my 'lightbulb moment' this week too.

I ordered two packs of Easiyo as it was on free P&P but they didn't arrive.

I phoned the call centre and was told they would send a form that I would have to sign and return to declare that I hadn't received the goods, I had no problem with that at all.

The form came on Monday but there was no pre-paid envelope to return it in so now I have to make a 10 mile round trip and pay to park simply to buy a stamp and envelopes!!! So their courier cocked up but I have to pay for the privilege of declaring that they cocked up!!!

Like most of you I have spent £1000s with this wretched company over the past 15 years and over that time the customer service has declined while the P&P has become extortionate.

Apparently when they get the form someone will phone me to discuss what happens next...what happens next is that I will be closing my account.

you can do this online apparently after i had a much heated argument with this award winning company second only to john lewis

I don't know much about John Lewis as I rarely shop with them but qvc much better compared to some other shopping channels especially tjc .I ordered a double bed sheet and they were suppose to send a free gift .I did not find any with the parcel so I called the cs who did not pick up the phone ,somehow managed to get through to them via personal shopper and they said that they have to look into it .After putting the sheet into wash I realised it was single and not double .Was so fed up .Few years back I had sent a expensive bangle with a stone missing and they said I had imagined it and refuse to give the P&P .Comparing to them ,there were few occasions when qvc ,did not refund me the postage but when I told them it was faulty ,they did so immediately .The cs is always there no matter how many times you call .Times if I find the person rude ,I give another call so someone helpful picks it up .Have to say they have sorted almost all my queries and whenever I shop I have the guarantee that if there is even a single fault they will sort it unlike tjc who have yet to contact me even after few emails .

Dear May, your post really does make us think again about what is important in life.If you have a splurge on QVC, can afford & enjoy then go for it.This is a time of year which is difficult for so many people it is not all presents and families getting together and having a wonderful time and all this QVC Christmas which goes on for months does not help--BUT we have the option to switch off and like everyone else they are in the world of selling.I have lovely memories of simple Christmases with my parents and nothing will top that, but now they are gone I go abroad & enjoy a hotel, great food & friends that meet up every year--but I don't take that for granted it is only an option as long as my health is OK

Dear May, your post really does make us think again about what is important in life.If you have a splurge on QVC, can afford & enjoy then go for it.This is a time of year which is difficult for so many people it is not all presents and families getting together and having a wonderful time and all this QVC Christmas which goes on for months does not help--BUT we have the option to switch off and like everyone else they are in the world of selling.I have lovely memories of simple Christmases with my parents and nothing will top that, but now they are gone I go abroad & enjoy a hotel, great food & friends that meet up every year--but I don't take that for granted it is only an option as long as my health is OK

Dear Silverfox ...yes I see so many posts where people chastise themselves ...it's made me think even about as simple as something like the decorating not getting done ...I said to hubby ..at the moment I am not even fussed if the paint starts to peel a bit ...it doesn't not matter ..l have been so whingey about it all ...so what if its not as nice as I wanted it to be
I am just forgetting about it ...if we get it done fine ...if not ...I'm not in knots and I'm. Im not worrying if I haven't
Hoovered. When somebody pops in ...so what ? ..I'm here ..we are well ..we can cuddle each other without dire pain ..yes enjoy your purchases ..enjoy your items ..and relax ..I don't mean being totally .."blow all caution to the wind " ..sort of mind set but if you want to buy an item and leave the decorating for a while ..so be it ..the gentleman was literally so
relieved last month when he got the all clear ...but now bless him .its all unraveled and now he is in a bad place bless him. Just like that .. ..embrace joy with your loved ones X

Yes my cousin has had breast cancer, ovarian cancer and she had a hysterectomy then contracted cancer were her womb had been and last week her hubby rang me as she now has tumours on her brain. She once told me that they had always saved and not spent unnecessarily and now wonders wether it was any use.

Latest posts

Back