God, I hate Kipling!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I know there's an awful lot of die hard Kipling fans on here and out there, and I'm not out to offend any of you, honestly 'cause each to their own and all that, but all I can see is a rather mediocre product with an extremely high price tag. I have tried them before. The first one I bought was a pale blue bag in an outlet store, I still paid too much for it, but I was taken by the funky monkey, but believe me, the novelty soon wore off when the fabric quickly got stained and the bag looked funky for all the wrong reasons..even though I washed it.
I also bought an over priced purse in a fit of pique..don't ask me why 'cause it was garish and ugly and was too small!

Today, though I saw this on QVC and thought "why"? I bought my set...which incidentally was bigger, from the poundshop. Can the name Kipling justify an extra £21? I thought £17 for a pencil case was bad enough!

Who in their right mind would pay £22 for this?

Attachments

• kipling.jpg
    kipling.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 700
i must admit i would not buy this a total rip off and i would think most kipling buyers would not think this is good vfm. you can get this in superdrug/m&s for a couple of pounds.

I wouldn't buy that either. However it depends on your lifestyle as to whether Kipling bags suit you or not. Personally my Defea is indispensible, and I like the cross body bags too. But die hard Kipling fan I am not. As I only have 4, one waist bag, one cross body, one defea and one large bag which has also been used a lot over the years. I find mine come up brand new in the washing machine, at 30 deg and removing long strap and monkey of course. I have gone for the TSV in white, as I think I would use a bag thst doesn't need a purse from time to time. If it's not up to the standard of my other kiplings (not bought from QVC) it will go back. I have returned every kipling bag that I have bought from QVC due to quality issues with the dye in the fabric.

Why would someone else not liking the bags I like offend me? Not at all! Each to their own. I love my Kiplings, they work with my life. But all bags don't work with all lives or all occasions. I have found them to be long-wearing, hard-working and very practical. But not everyone feels the same. Having said which, I can live without highly expensive pencil cases and makeup bags.

I started buying Kiplings about 10 years ago because, walking with a stick at the time, I was struggling to manage with a shoulder bag and they're the lightest cross-body bags I could find. The printed bags were lovely back then and I still use them but since the new design team was introduced the prints and the plain colours have been awful.

Jude xx

I love my Kiplings. I have load, but I don't wear them to work anymore, although as a commuter, they are the best bags you can carry! I don't understand Cath Kidston bags, I think they look great, but I don't think their finish matches the prices they charge. Mind you, Kipling bags are so expensive now. I don't think the tsv is wonderful vfm, as it seems small. But what do I know?

I loathe them ,they look cheap and nasty IMO, not to mention chavvy with those ****** monkeys

Mulberry or Kipling ?!?!

HELLO !

Just MY OPINION of course

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Kipling bags I must admit. Not meaning to be insulting, but some of them just remind me of WW2 gas mask bags.
Anyway, I've got a long haul trip planned later in the year so I was receptive yesterday. I was quite taken by one on Q's featured Kipling pages yesterday, probably because of the leather trim. When Sazza told me the price I was gob-smacked! It was the LAURANE L Vintage, normally £210.00 - £147.00 in the Kipling sale!
Well, that was another great idea most definitely out the window.
Then I had a flash from the past. I remembered that hanging on the hook of the little bedroom, there was an unused A4 canvas satchel bag, bought for 21 when she was in the 6th Form. Aldi's finest no less! I'm sorted.

I wouldn't buy that either. However it depends on your lifestyle as to whether Kipling bags suit you or not. Personally my Defea is indispensible, and I like the cross body bags too. But die hard Kipling fan I am not. As I only have 4, one waist bag, one cross body, one defea and one large bag which has also been used a lot over the years. I find mine come up brand new in the washing machine, at 30 deg and removing long strap and monkey of course. I have gone for the TSV in white, as I think I would use a bag thst doesn't need a purse from time to time. If it's not up to the standard of my other kiplings (not bought from QVC) it will go back. I have returned every kipling bag that I have bought from QVC due to quality issues with the dye in the fabric.

No, you're a "dye hard" fan!.....sorry!

After I received my Deluxe Weekender Bag by Lori Greiner for under £40, I've realised that I was overpaying a lot of money for my Kipling bags. I was brainwashed by QVC that Kipling are affordable. I have decided to stop buying Kipling unless it's something very practical and functional I can't resist. I have around 20 Kipling bags, and I'm sorted, since I use just one and don't feel like changing to another Kipling bag and I have a few. And I haven't been tempted by Kipling for about a year now, my last purchase was the Fairfax TSV that I don't use and I bought about three Kipling TSVs after that but sent them back since my current Kipling bad suits my needs much better.

Apologies for this mini rant. Never bought from Kipling and am always offended ( yes, strong word I know) when the guest gleefully displays customer photos of whopping collections of bags, usually all colour co-ordinated and taking up a whole room and then exhorts other collectors out there to keep up and send in their evidence of what could be 'hoarding'. Always makes me feel queasy and I just associate the whole brand with this now.

I have in the past bought three kipling bags, two were presents and one for me, I like the one I have got for what I want it for. I would never feel dressed up wearing a kipling bag and I have no plan to buy anymore. I think we get Kipling overload from qvc.....

kipling bags on the whole last me forever. the zips are good and they are lighweight and easy to keep clean. quality leather bags scratch,are heavy and fall apart sooner or later/need expensive repairs and the leather can look tatty and cost the price of a small mortgage.

plus you can sell your kipling years later as they still look good for a good price.

love the look of expensive leather bags but dont use them anymore i'm too old lol...

Going back to the OP what's it for? That little (I presume it's little) bag. I didn't see the presentation but I don't see what it's supposed to be. Make up bag?!

I love handbags and have quite a few. I have the Eldorado cross body bag in black and pink, a White/purple patterned overnight bag and a pink "satchel" type bag I use most days to carry my netbook and stuff to and from the office. I would quite like one as a flight bag but I need to go to the outlet shop as I can't work out the sizes of the bags on QVC in my head.

I wouldn't carry one as an every day handbag though as they're too casual to my mind.

I do think they're expensive for what they are but having said that my office bag has been used and abused for a couple of years. And it's looks as good as new. And the huge bonus for carrying a netbook and bundles of paper, notepad, pens and all sorts of other crap is that the bag itself adds no weight and is as tough as old boots.

I love leather handbags whether high street or designer but I also like Kipling. I don't really understand why anyone would 300 handbags full stop let alone 300 from the same designer. Where I can see the appeal of buying multiple Kipling bags if they're your thing, is because of all the different colours and patterns.

I have ordered and returned many Kipling bags. I like the organisation, but don't like the look/design and the fabric. The canvas reminds me of sports holdalls from my childhood! I did buy one in the red lacquer and I much prefer it to the canvas. I used it for about a week as work bag but haven't used it since as I have reverted back to my favoured brand. It's for sale in the Drop if anyone is interested ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I lurve Kipling bags.....I'm not offended...each to their own and all that.I personally would never buy a leather bag...and I carry a lot of stuff with me...kiplings are light and practical.I'm hard wearing on my bags too....the amount of times I've dropped mine in a puddle,down a curb....kiplings stay in shape! I agree with you some are not to my taste...your thumbnail pic is a good example! I do agree kiplings are getting more and more expensive.

Todays TSV doesn't really do it for me.....I always used to prefer cross body bags.....so this in the past would have been perfect...now I prefer shoulder bags.None of todays colours are inspiring me to buy....I like the dots one at a push......and it does seem very small for the price.I think my adley (?) in Jan?feb? was only about £45?? for a more substantial bag...

I quite like bags (they come in handy to carry stuff!) but I'm not fanatical. I have one kipling bag (alban in a blue/grey print) which looks good with jeans and is handy for stuffing lots into. At the moment my huge Boden black patent leather tote is my favourite as I can get even more into it and it's so comfy to use.

I think the tsv has a design flaw. The zipped organizer section at the front opens right out and drops down revealing all the cards and goodness knows what else. It should have deep side panels inset so that it opens outwards and not downwards and then the card slots should be on the other side so that they face you when you open it.

I'm getting weary of the monkey names too. They're used as a sales technique but really, how many Kimberley's and Axel's are out there waiting?

I own 6 Kipling bags, 3 are a range called Deva which have leather and thicker material far superior to the basic range. I bought them on ebay some years back, don't think this range was in the UK? No fluffy monkey either. Three City range, one I have been using as a work bag for well over 3 years.

I dislike the basic range which is all the seem to do on QVC now. It looks cheap(sorry fans) and very thin material. Brandalley etc sometimes have sales on and I do look but nothing grabs me enough to want to buy. I don't do funky prints either.

I think people sometimes latch on to a brand, be it clothing, bags, cosmetics, interior design because they're not confident in their ability to select individual items. There's a place in my life for Kipling, Lulu Guinness, Mulberry (one day) and a 99p sparkly clutch from primark,or a GWP bag from Avon: having "inclusive" taste is more fun than "exclusive" imho.

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back