Getting old

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Don't we all wish we had our 'older heads' when we had 'young shoulders'? getting older does have many benefits & is something to enjoy and embrace.Luckily I am active & have good health and for that I am very grateful, there are some who are not as fortunate and I don't take it for granted.

Don't we all wish we had our 'older heads' when we had 'young shoulders'? getting older does have many benefits & is something to enjoy and embrace.Luckily I am active & have good health and for that I am very grateful, there are some who are not as fortunate and I don't take it for granted.

They do say youth is wasted on the young!

PR, now you are talking stars....unlike a lot of what passes for "stars" today, who appear regularly at the opening of an envelope.

QUOTE=PrussianRed;821999]I'm the same :happy:

My eldest sister knows much more about current 'celebs' as she has a son and grandsons - I am childless. Most of the pop/TV/reality stuff today leaves me cold and I don't have a clue who most of the people are. I do not feel at a disadvantage.

Perhaps we could have beauty likenesses a la Hollywood Golden Age - Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Joan Crawford etc...[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm with you Historymystery ! I haven't a clue who anyone is these days, and it seems to be the same old faces in the papers, who adorn the sofa on morning telly.

I happened to buy the U.S. National Inquirer - something I used to buy regularly 100 years ago, well, I feel as though I've moved on a century - I didn't recognise one single name in it.

I agree about Hollywood's Golden Age, but being the generation that remember it, no-one else does ! My niece and nephew in their 30's have never heard of Sammy Davis Jr, or Bobby Darin, or Joan Crawford, or Spencer Tracy. Audrey Hepburn seems to be the only one to have 'survived' purely because EVERYONE refers to her as "very Audrey Hepburn" in dress, style, gamine looks etc.

Never mind, at least I will leave this world to a song by the sensational Sinatra, and not by some rapper noise or U2, Take That or Boyzone !!!

To give another slant on the getting old theme. Is it me or something to do with QVC??????. Don't have any problems with this generally, but why does my menopausal self have problems with smelling the the scents of Yankee candles, 'this works' sleep spray or AD synergy geranium night oil? Despite the presenters describing the scent of each in great detail, and saying haw amaaaazing they all are, why is it lost on me? Does our sense of smell diminish drastically in our 50's or is this more to do with with QVC sales patter? If I was really worried I'd be off to see my GP asap lol.

I don't think you should worry Misschris about your sense of smell, although I can understand what you're saying. Someone bought me a YC Midnight Yasmine for my birthday recently. Smelling the lid it was beautiful, BUT I smelled nothing at all from the lit candle. It was the same with Jo Malone perfume - supposedly the 'in' scent, but I can only smell it initially and then.... nothing. A lot of money for a lot of nothing. I sometimes think I should wear disinfectant ! at least I CAN smell that !!!

I think Silver Fox sums it up beautifully...I too am lucky enough to be fit and healthy and it is a huge blessing.

Excellent comments on this thread, I have 3 teenage kids and they are more 'retro' than I am and wouldn't know half the people QVC talk about. They are so out of touch, so many people nowadays don't do the celeb following and therefore I feel alienating a great number of people.

What bothers me most when comparison on skin tones are made. Most of us would never see closeup any of the aforementioned celebs, and when we see them in the media, we cannot possibly tell what their skin tones are because of the camera angles, the portraits for magz, or the flashing lights on the celebrity walks of fame. They are heavily made up, by experts, so how on earth are we supposed to select from those people, it's something that has bothered me for a long time, and yes I'm definitely getting older.

What bothers me most when comparison on skin tones are made. Most of us would never see closeup any of the aforementioned celebs, and when we see them in the media, we cannot possibly tell what their skin tones are because of the camera angles, the portraits for magz, or the flashing lights on the celebrity walks of fame. They are heavily made up, by experts, so how on earth are we supposed to select from those people, it's something that has bothered me for a long time, and yes I'm definitely getting older.

I thought most of these celebrities were plastered with fake tan anyway.
I haven't a clue who they're talking about most of the time either.

I have two great nieces and a great nephew and, do you know, I couldn't care less if they wanted to become hairdressers, beauticians, dustmen or brain surgeons. I just want them to be happy, healthy and do no harm to anyone. Qualifications are great for those who have the ability to achieve them but that's not everyone. My 8 year old niece is dyspraxic, dyslexic and I dare say they will find a few more "dys's" to tack on to her before much longer but a happier more loving, giving child you couldn't wish to find. Only trouble is, I think she really wants to be Tinkerbell. Can't win 'em all.

Latest posts

Back