Gemporia 'Downfall'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ant7t

Registered Shopper
Not the most original title, and I have given my thoughts on it elsewhere here, but.

I am not a 'from the beginning' watcher of the channel, but I think Gems started going downhill when SB 'sold / gave' his employees joint ownership of the company. Not talking about how fast it's gone down currently. Did any of the 'older' watchers (not age ;) ) notice if it started earlier, or later. Just curious ;)

When I first started watching it was very professional, had lots of different stones but mainly the presenters knew their stuff. Used to sell many different items in an hour. Apart from the odd occasion SB might be one with one of the main presenters, it was a solo presenter. None of this lecturing for 55 minutes, then a clock and then the price of the singular piece of jewellery actually being revealed, along with shouty presenters spouting Wow, absolutely, etc.

I honestly can’t remember when they changed to the more Bid TV style of presentation though. And another thing the presenters were all smartly dressed and looked neat and tidy. Pretty certain they women didn’t have the false talons they seem to have these days.

I can't remember when I started to watch, but when I discovered Gems I was delighted. I love jewellery and here was a channel that had wall to wall jewellery. All different prices. I loved an under £30 wheel, well used to, no longer see them. I don't remember being bored watching, and certainly don't recall being lectured for hour upon hour by boring Jade Troth. I used to enjoy watching Steve present a show. You could be right about it going downhill when Steve 'sold'. It no longer is in any way shape or form interesting now to watch, and is more like torture if I happen upon the channel whilst looking for something to watch. I cannot understand how anyone in authority at Gems can think Gemporia is watchable, or enjoyable at all for a customer these days.

When I first started watching it was very professional, had lots of different stones but mainly the presenters knew their stuff. Used to sell many different items in an hour. Apart from the odd occasion SB might be one with one of the main presenters, it was a solo presenter. None of this lecturing for 55 minutes, then a clock and then the price of the singular piece of jewellery actually being revealed, along with shouty presenters spouting Wow, absolutely, etc.

I honestly can’t remember when they changed to the more Bid TV style of presentation though. And another thing the presenters were all smartly dressed and looked neat and tidy. Pretty certain they women didn’t have the false talons they seem to have these days.
The first time I remember watching it casually was when they used to sell Russian Alexandrite and not really watching because at that time I couldn't afford the prices for the stones I was interested in. And yes, what kept my attention was the information and the video 'inserts' of the stone's 'story', not the video inserts of how to buy. That was the time they used to sell their video inserts complete as a DVD, as well as giving away little alphabet books of the stones. AKA as very informative and interesting. Hence the watching to the point of buying. Long gone are those days, it seems. And even if they assume the customers 'know' it all, that's not the point, as long as they don't over do it. And now the only video inserts are the old ones where SB is 'dark' and 'larger' aka younger. So, there's also the case of 'what this again?'

And if I recall, they had a "law" in the company that said no 'flashy' or too long a nail. Now look at them. Kati and Milly to name but the two. And on JM, Elena. I find myself wondering about the nails and looking 'under' them if they in close up.

I can't remember when I started to watch, but when I discovered Gems I was delighted. I love jewellery and here was a channel that had wall to wall jewellery. All different prices. I loved an under £30 wheel, well used to, no longer see them. I don't remember being bored watching, and certainly don't recall being lectured for hour upon hour by boring Jade Troth. I used to enjoy watching Steve present a show. You could be right about it going downhill when Steve 'sold'. It no longer is in any way shape or form interesting now to watch, and is more like torture if I happen upon the channel whilst looking for something to watch. I cannot understand how anyone in authority at Gems can think Gemporia is watchable, or enjoyable at all for a customer these days.
And they used to have 'first timer' jewellery: Usually £10 as an intro. And whenever SB was on, he usually went OTT on his price drops, on purpose or otherwise, it worked. Which, as an aside, today they had the second in command doing a tanzanite show with Hattie. He 'thought' one item was white gold and 'sold' it for £499, I think. It was platinum: and he 'didn't know'? Those sorts of thing are daft. They set the show, they see the goods and profess ignorance? I know I am off track a bit, but I don't think back in the day they'd have been so lax or unprofessional.

No they certainly wouldn’t. To my mind it’s sloppy, lazy presenting by sloppy presenters. I could understand it if they were selling 20+ dfferent pieces in an hour that they might’ve made a genuine error, as prepping for that quantity of items know I’d forget. They have no excuse these days. How long does it take to prep for one item or the same repetitive lectures (all the same just change the stone!).

Latest posts

Back