Film reviews (no spoilers)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I've been a bit down in the dumps lately for various reasons so when I found that Netflix was carrying a couple of "feel good" films that I've been wanting to see for quite a while. Film no.1 - Wicked little letters. Great that it's set in my neck of the woods so to speak so it was lovely seeing all the locations I was familiar with, but the film was so enjoyable I was laughing out loud for most of it and a great story and for me finding out that it was based on a true occurrence was the icing on the cake. I always look up the reviews after watching a film to see whether other people's opinions are the same as mine. Most people awarded it 5 stars as I would've done, but there were a few one stars mainly from people who didn't like seeing so many black and Asian characters in an English drama set in the 1920's - There was no racist overtones in what they were saying, it was more that people felt that they were an anachronism. Maybe they were, but to me the diversity in the cast didn't take anything away for me. Fabulous film and I recommend it to anyone!
Film no. 2 - Mrs Harris goes to Paris. I don't know why I really wanted to watch this film as the title actually tells you what happens, but I thought it would be cheery and uplifting. All I can say about it is that it I reckon the storyline should've been tweaked a bit and made in to a cartoon animation for children - A total waste of a cast imo especially the wonderful Lesley Manville. I wasn't expecting the world, just a bit of light fluffy fun, but I just couldn't get past the sheer amount of cliches and ridiculous coincidences throughout this over-long yarn. It was like accidentally drop your last fiver down the drain, walk five steps and find a £50 note on the pavement. Let's look at another film briefly- Legally Blonde, totally improbable but totally entertaining and I loved it!
I wonder if anyone else has seen either of these films, if so what did you think?

I'd like to get this conversation rolling, so perhaps are there any films that you went in not expecting to enjoy and did? or vice versa. Most recently my biggest disappointments have been Allelujah (the one about old folks in a hospital) billed, or strongly suggested it was a feel good, funny movie when in fact it was dark , depressing and very political I came away on the verge of tears it made me feel so depressed! Aftersun - WTF? It didn't help that there was so much "strobing" on the screen when they kept playing the flashbacks I had to keep covering my eyes. I got the gist but not the story if that makes sense. "One Love" Bob Marley biopic, didn't learn anything about Bob Marley that I didn't already know - Whereas Bohemian Rhapsody was fantastic and gave proper insight in a very entertaining way.
Stand out brilliant film of (fairly) recent years is PRIDE about how the gay community supported the miners in the strike in the 1980's...Wonderful film!

I've just discovered a new Startrek series called Picard. As I don't do streaming I've ordered the complete series on DVD and am looking forward to getting it.

I've just discovered a new Startrek series called Picard. As I don't do streaming I've ordered the complete series on DVD and am looking forward to getting it.
I hope you enjoy it - pure fantasy is a genre I've never been able to get into. For the sake of our local pub quiz who seems to put in a question about Harry Potter on a weekly basis made me buy the box set of the films and listen to the audio book and I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would, however it hasn't spurned me enough to broaden my horizons on this sort of thing. Some years ago I bought my self a set of the original Star Wars films as I'd managed to avoid them in my youth when they first came out and again I enjoyed them more than I expected. I'm one of those people who have difficulty suspending disbelief and coupled with the attention span of a gnat films that spawn so many follow up films and spin offs I just haven't got the patience. The Superhero genre is another one I can't be doing with either and whilst questions about this also frequently pop up in the quiz I just couldn't put myself through it. I think the fact that Harry Potter is essentially aimed at kids is what led me to think, yes I can probably cope with this. Again though after watching all the films and listening to the book the follow ups eg Fantastic beasts didn't appeal to me. I did go to the cinema and I watched one of them and quite frankly I was bored stiff so that was that!
I have a little bit of affection for Star Trek, only because in the 1960's it would be on 'cause my dad would watch it and I used to feign interest so as to be able to stay up later than my official bed time. Dr Who, I forced myself to watch in the Tom Baker years as it often would be a topic of conversation in the school playground and I didn't want to be left out, but I really can't say that I actually enjoyed watching.
When it comes to films I prefer a biopic, or a drama based upon actual events or at least a plot that involves something I could stretch to believe possible. In my youth the cinema was the thing to do, whether you went along with mates or you were on a date therefore I have watched a lot of films just because!
I've never sat through a James Bond film in my life and I don't intend to either lol! I don't mind a "feel good" film but it's got to be well crafted.

Not quite a film, but just by accident I came across the ORIGINAL Strictly Come Dancing hosted by Bruce Forsyth from 20 years ago. Len Goodman was head judge and the 2 other men judges looked so young, in fact, they looked 20 years younger (they were lol).

I much preferred this to the latest shows, with all the flashing lights and hype and over-clever camera tricks. They even showed close-up glimpses of the singers while they were actually singing, you hardly see them these days.

I've been a bit down in the dumps lately for various reasons so when I found that Netflix was carrying a couple of "feel good" films that I've been wanting to see for quite a while. Film no.1 - Wicked little letters. Great that it's set in my neck of the woods so to speak so it was lovely seeing all the locations I was familiar with, but the film was so enjoyable I was laughing out loud for most of it and a great story and for me finding out that it was based on a true occurrence was the icing on the cake. I always look up the reviews after watching a film to see whether other people's opinions are the same as mine. Most people awarded it 5 stars as I would've done, but there were a few one stars mainly from people who didn't like seeing so many black and Asian characters in an English drama set in the 1920's - There was no racist overtones in what they were saying, it was more that people felt that they were an anachronism. Maybe they were, but to me the diversity in the cast didn't take anything away for me. Fabulous film and I recommend it to anyone!
Film no. 2 - Mrs Harris goes to Paris. I don't know why I really wanted to watch this film as the title actually tells you what happens, but I thought it would be cheery and uplifting. All I can say about it is that it I reckon the storyline should've been tweaked a bit and made in to a cartoon animation for children - A total waste of a cast imo especially the wonderful Lesley Manville. I wasn't expecting the world, just a bit of light fluffy fun, but I just couldn't get past the sheer amount of cliches and ridiculous coincidences throughout this over-long yarn. It was like accidentally drop your last fiver down the drain, walk five steps and find a £50 note on the pavement. Let's look at another film briefly- Legally Blonde, totally improbable but totally entertaining and I loved it!
I wonder if anyone else has seen either of these films, if so what did you think?
I’m not sure how available it is merryone, but try and catch the Angela Lansbury version of Mrs ‘Arris Goes to Paris from the early 90’s. Diana Rigg and Omar Sharif are also in it and I really, really enjoyed it. I will try to watch the Lesley Manville version at some point though because I do think that she’s a great actor as well.

I’m not sure how available it is merryone, but try and catch the Angela Lansbury version of Mrs ‘Arris Goes to Paris from the early 90’s. Diana Rigg and Omar Sharif are also in it and I really, really enjoyed it. I will try to watch the Lesley Manville version at some point though because I do think that she’s a great actor as well.
Oh thanks for that I'll definitely look that one up as I was so disappointed by the modern one. Some times the old versions are the better ones as they simply tell the story without all the fancy bits and anachronisms so often found in today's films. They don't always bother me but for some reason Mrs Harris saying "You go girl" in a film supposedly set in the 1950's didn't do it for me! I must admit that I much preferred the film A night to remember starring Kenneth Moore than I did the souped up 1997 version of events. I've not seen any of the past versions of A star is born, but I thought the Lady Gaga version was pretty damned good. Whilst we're on the subject of remakes then the Gene Wilder version of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory knocked spots off the Johnny Depp version - there's just no comparison imo.
If there is anyone out there who hasn't seen pride, or wicked little letters then I'd say just do it. Favourite films - Grease, dirty dancing, saturday night fever, hairspray, quadrophenia and of course Pride. Loads more but these are the favourites I can think of off the top of my head, as you can see I do like to be entertained!

Last edited:
A brilliant film on Amazon Prime at the moment. King Arthur, the true story of a dog who started following a group of racers 400+ miles across the South America jungle. He ran with the team even though he was injured after being abused, living on the streets. It is an emotional and heart-warming story of a stray dog and a man.

I watched Wicked Little Letters, one I did know the true story. Yes, I did enjoy it. The problem now is, well, Olivia Coleman is just Olivia Coleman in the roles she plays.

I watched the first Strictly from 2004 last night. OMG! The jokes Bruce came out with, quite creepy towards the females. Everyone looked so young. The judges packed together like sardines. Poor Chris Parker looked shell shocked, and they kept voting him right to the final. That might have been the reason he gave up acting and became a lawyer.

Strato, I liked Picard. If you can get Star Trek Strange New Worlds, it is set before Kirk with Captain Pike and Spock. And more importantly, someone actually turned the lights on. Many of us complain about how dark the bridge of the Enterprise now is on TV and films. You need a torch to find your way around.

I am awful with films, I record them but never watch them. Then my Virgin box breaks down and of course I have lost them until they pop up again on TV and I record them again.

Two such films:

Rocky Horror Picture Show, I know the words to all the songs and do sing along. Tim Curry's best performance. There's a light over in Frankenstein place, there's a light burning in the fire place.

Another is a horror film British, Dog Soldiers yes werewolves in the Scottish Highlands. Dark humour and brilliant.

Aaah the Rocky Horror show! For the first time I'm gonna admit it (With the exception of the Time Warp) - I don't think I like it! I first heard of its existence in the early 80's when a girl I knew got on the last bus buzzing 'cause she'd just seen the film, she said you MUST go and see it. I asked her what it was about and she briefly told me about the sweet transvestite from transsexual Transylvania, Brad and Janet etc I immediately thought mmm this doesn't really sound like my kinda film, but I didn't burst her bubble I continued to listen to her waxing lyrical and singing all the songs. Since that time I've heard a lot of people referencing it and saying how brilliant it and it seemed to be a cool thing to talk about, not wanting to miss out I bought myself a copy of the film on DVD. I thought it was fun and that was that, not realising how much of a cult favourite it was and that if you went to see a live version, having only watched it once at home by yourself, or having never seen it before is not an option lol! Few years later my friend invited me to the stage show, but warned me that you need to dress up as one of the characters, that I'd need a bag of rice, playing cards and something else I can't remember -Latex gloves? I dressed as Janet in a suitably frumpy pink dress, cardi and white shoes went to meet the others and we had a Magenta, a Colombia, another Janet (bra and pants). I was told not to admit I'd never seen the live show as I'd be relentlessly heckled as a "virgin". To cut a long story short, I didn't know any of the words to the songs, thankfully there was an autocue with them on, didn't know the heckles though I did manage to pick a few up, the rest of our bunch knew exactly what was coming and when and quite frankly I felt like a fish out of water especially dressed as a frump - I was glad to get home lol! Since then I have heard Rocky Horror being mentioned by work mates, and I have always pretended "yeah I love it" - I don't - there I've said it lol!

I have never been to the stage show. I would be in my usual jeans and a plain top.🤣
I don't blame you, but if you're a die hard fan then it's a must I'd say. I know you said that you know all the songs word for word, but the folk I encountered at the live show literally knew the script word for word too, they knew exactly what heckles went where - I guess you've really gotta be a nerd on the subject and reading back on the thread, the Rocky Horror posts in particular have actually helped me put my finger upon the reason I cannot get into this sort of stuff. I know I mentioned it before, but yes it's my short attention span and bit of laziness chucked in for good measure. There are very few films that I've enjoyed and will watch time and time again - Dirty dancing is one, Rita, Sue & Bob too is another and of course Pride. The films I've mentioned are not taxing in any way shape or form, they're an hour or so of pure entertainment. No exhaustive list of characters, nothing technical, no cult following (with the exception of DD) no spin offs, no endless "seasons" to keep up with. Some years ago I bought the Lord of the Rings books I managed (somehow) to plough my way through the first book and about a quarter of the second before I threw the towel in due to boredom and confusion - Too many characters all doing pretty much the same thing but I know they're so popular. When our quiz masters asks any questions relating to LOTR, Game of Thrones, Superhero films, a massive groan arises from our team and like I said I'm glad I did the Harry Potter research but that's as far as it's ever gonna go. Thankfully Mr Quiz man doesn't give too taxing Harry Potter questions so thanks to me we usually get them right. A few of took part in a Harry Potter themed quiz in another pub some time last year and we came plum last as you really needed to know it on a nerdish level - we did win a wooden spoon for our trouble!

I don't blame you, but if you're a die hard fan then it's a must I'd say. I know you said that you know all the songs word for word, but the folk I encountered at the live show literally knew the script word for word too, they knew exactly what heckles went where - I guess you've really gotta be a nerd on the subject and reading back on the thread, the Rocky Horror posts in particular have actually helped me put my finger upon the reason I cannot get into this sort of stuff. I know I mentioned it before, but yes it's my short attention span and bit of laziness chucked in for good measure. There are very few films that I've enjoyed and will watch time and time again - Dirty dancing is one, Rita, Sue & Bob too is another and of course Pride. The films I've mentioned are not taxing in any way shape or form, they're an hour or so of pure entertainment. No exhaustive list of characters, nothing technical, no cult following (with the exception of DD) no spin offs, no endless "seasons" to keep up with. Some years ago I bought the Lord of the Rings books I managed (somehow) to plough my way through the first book and about a quarter of the second before I threw the towel in due to boredom and confusion - Too many characters all doing pretty much the same thing but I know they're so popular. When our quiz masters asks any questions relating to LOTR, Game of Thrones, Superhero films, a massive groan arises from our team and like I said I'm glad I did the Harry Potter research but that's as far as it's ever gonna go. Thankfully Mr Quiz man doesn't give too taxing Harry Potter questions so thanks to me we usually get them right. A few of took part in a Harry Potter themed quiz in another pub some time last year and we came plum last as you really needed to know it on a nerdish level - we did win a wooden spoon for our trouble!
Rita, Sue & Bob Too is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. I just find it absolutely hilarious when in fact Bob is actually an awful, creepy character. Thankfully it would never get made today (quite rightly IMO) but I can't help but really loving it.

Rita, Sue & Bob Too is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. I just find it absolutely hilarious when in fact Bob is actually an awful, creepy character. Thankfully it would never get made today (quite rightly IMO) but I can't help but really loving it.
No, it totally wouldn't be made today, and yes I would say thankfully too but I'm awfully glad that it was made. I actually went with my boyfriend to see it at the cinema first when it first came out and he was disgusted and tried to make us leave before it had finished - It was really awkward 'cause I said I wanted to stay and watch it, and it was so bliddy awkward 'cause we couldn't have a massive row in the middle of the cinema and he said something along the lines of ****** stay then but I'm going and with that he stormed off. I remember being in two minds about chasing after him but I thought no why should I? So I stayed and enjoyed it with a pang of anxiety about the state of my relationship. When I got out of the cinema I hoped to find him waiting outside for me, but alas no sign and of course no mobile phones back then so I went home. When I got home my mum told me he had called and could I ring him back. Thankfully he was (semi) apologetic mainly for leaving me stranded, but he couldn't resist taking a pop at me for my taste in humour - It was soon forgotten about and by the time I'd bought it on dvd we'd long split up!
Another absolute fave film of mine, though I think it was TV only was "Dancin' Thru the Dark" a film based upon Willy Russell's play stags and hens. Great great film and brilliant soundtrack too!

I have never been to the stage show. I would be in my usual jeans and a plain top.🤣
The stage show is coming to London in September with Jason Donovan. There are offers for it on Today Tix but I'm totally not one for dressing up as characters (don't fancy being stared at on the tube home!) and I don't think I'd be comfortable not knowing all the lines etc. I won't bother.

As regards films, I love musicals. I was 11 when Grease came out and adored it. Brings back so many memories now.

I don't like dark or depressing films. I mainly watch a film on a Saturday night for escapism. Love all the famous Rodgers and Hammerstein films of the 1950s, I don't care how corny they are.

I've seen both versions of Hairspray, I really think it captures the era. A while back it was on in London and I saw Michael Ball (looking fabulous in drag) as Tracy Turnblad's mother and Les Dennis as her father. They get a great duet "You're timeless to me".

I like Sister Act and the follow up. Mamma Mia, I'm a child of the 70s and love Abba. Seen it live and been to Abba The Party, the immersive experience set in a Greek Taverna with the singing all around you.

Life can be depressing and I don't want realism when watching a film. The same goes for the theatre, I like comedy or musicals. Nothing educational I'm afraid. Last year I saw a great version of Noel Coward's Private Lives with Nigel Havers as Elyiot and Patricia Hodge as Amanda. Both at least 20 years too old for the roles but they were both hilarious, wonderful comic timing.

Oh, I love it too. "****** hell, looks like a frozen sausage".
Another favorite is Mike Bassett: England Manager. Ricky Tomlinson is brilliant in it and Bradley Walsh's character is just wonderfully underplayed.
I dont watch a lot of films as i have a very short attention span and have been known to fall asleep in cinemas; but if I do find one I like I'll watch it again and again; Jurassic Park, Jaws, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Some Like it Hot and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
I can't be doing with noisy, gun shooting action films or anything with loud, intrusive soundtracks.
I think the last time I went to the cinema was to see the re-mastered 3D version of Jaws (I don't care that the shark is so obviously plastic)
Before that was probably to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, which I did enjoy.

One film guaranteed to gave me blubbing is The Railway Children.
At the end, when Bobby says "daddy, my daddy"......😭
Oh, and Saturday Night Fever should have got a mention in previous post.
One of my favourite films but boy is it dark and melancholy despite the brilliant soundtrack and the dance classes that all us ladies of a certain age attended when we were kids?! I tried, and failed 3 times to get into see the film when it first came out, and if I remember rightly a dumbed down version was made a bit later and I wasn't interested in that but I managed to see the original version on video when I was in my mid twenties. I actually wonder whether had I got to see it when I was 13 whether I would have been less traumatised (for want of a better word) by some of the scenes and themes than I was when I was old enough to understand them - Gang rape, violence, racism, suicide and the general air of sadness. Yes, I'm sure it would probably have washed over me and I'd've only seen John Travolta busting his moves on the dancefloor to the music of the moment! Quadrophenia is also a favourite of mine and again I was too young to see it when it came out but I got in alright and since watching it time and time again I do find it quite melancholy. At the time to me it was just a cool movie that tied in with the mod revival of the day and of course like SNF there's a brilliant soundtrack to go with it! Grease on the other hand was just a massive dose of fun and one of my favourites too - I even liked Grease 2, Staying Alive on the other hand was complete crap!

Latest posts

Back