Fabrication!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Boris Bear

Registered Shopper
Please will someone tell the presenters at QVC that fabrication does not mean the same as fabric. The KVZ representative kept saying things like "feel the fabrication of the bag". I wondered if this was meant to sound better than "feel the plastic".

I switched QVC on today and lo and behold Ann Dawson was talking about the fabrication of the TSV coat.

But then, as most of what all presenters on all channels say is a load of lies anyway, fabrication is probably the right term to use. :54:

My bugbear is that they consistently refer to what is COLOURLESS diamonique as CLEAR) as opposed to blue, green, grey etc.) I can just about cope with WHITE as a description, since that is acceptable for diamonds. But, unless they're comparing opaque with clear, than this is WRONG! Sorry, but my chemistry teacher gave us such a big lecture on this and I can't help it! Rant over. Sorry, but it's just something, that drives me mad. Like Americans' use of 'momentarily' to mean 'in a moment', rather than 'for a moment' (although my US-based widget seems to accept both!), and the indiscriminate use of apostrophes. OK rant really over now. Sorry.

The one that really winds me up at the moment is the Kathy Van Zeeland trailer - it's like something a seven year old would write - appalling grammar!

:confused: I get wound up by the use of the word "disoriented" instead of "disorientated"......somebody please tell me if I am right .....I know I've gone off topic

Yep, the fabrication thing drives me mad - in fact I was going to post about it yesterday after watching the Alice Collins hours, when it was said more than once in relation to the material a garment was made from - the woman who guests with Kim and Co when Kim isn't over is a real bad one for that too...

Funny you should mention this, I started a thread about 'Americanism' corrupting our language only yesterday!!!

:doggie:

Funny you should mention this, I started a thread about 'Americanism' corrupting our language only yesterday!!!

:doggie:

I was going to put fabrication on there as I've noticed the Kipling lady using it too! :12:

'Utilise' is the one that drives me CRAAAAZY!!! What's wrong with 'use'???????

Another one in the same vein - purchase/purchased, when buy/bought would sound better (not so "pompous").

Also the use of the word malleable which, I was taught in my science classes, relates to hammering especially of metals. They use it to mean soft or bendy (cloth, leather etc).

Just remembered another one. When they say " give Simon\Anne etc and I a call ", when it should be "and me".

Linda

I googled for the definition of Fabrication:

a deliberately false or improbable account.

writing in a fictional form.

the act of making something (a product) from raw materials; "the synthesis and fabrication of single crystals"; "an improvement in the manufacture of explosives"; "manufacturing is vital to Great Britain".

the act of constructing something (as a piece of machinery).

lying: the deliberate act of deviating from the truth.

so maybe theyre using it in terms of how a product is made, rather than what its made of?

Another one in the same vein - purchase/purchased, when buy/bought would sound better (not so "pompous").

Also the use of the word malleable which, I was taught in my science classes, relates to hammering especially of metals. They use it to mean soft or bendy (cloth, leather etc).

Just remembered another one. When they say " give Simon\Anne etc and I a call ", when it should be "and me".

Linda

The correct English is 'and I' think of the film The King and I. We would have been marked down in English if we used me instead of I in this context.

Our resident beauty expert and well known linguist, literally, opens most of her presentations by saying something along the lines of "with myself, Alison Young." Wrong!

The correct English is 'and I' think of the film The King and I. We would have been marked down in English if we used me instead of I in this context.

I'm not an expert in this field, but I did work with someone who used to pick me up on my use of "I" and "me" on a regular basis so much so that I always think twice now when using it.

I'm sure that you should say "give Simon and me a call as originally said. My colleague told me that the way you work it out is what would you say if you removed the "Simon", ie give me a call, you wouldn't say give I a call.

Hope this makes sense. It's rather difficult to write down!

As it happens my favourite film is "The King and I", but maybe I should start calling it "The King and Me"?!

Happy New Year

I'm not an expert in this field, but I did work with someone who used to pick me up on my use of "I" and "me" on a regular basis so much so that I always think twice now when using it.

I'm sure that you should say "give Simon and me a call as originally said. My colleague told me that the way you work it out is what would you say if you removed the "Simon", ie give me a call, you wouldn't say give I a call.

Hope this makes sense. It's rather difficult to write down!

As it happens my favourite film is "The King and I", but maybe I should start calling it "The King and Me"?!

Happy New Year

That's what I've always thought was correct. And I worked as a publishing editor for 14 years, so if it's wrong, there were a lot of mistakes in a lot of books! By the way, I am in no way saying that I don't make such errors myself - so don't go checking all my posts!

When you say John and I, you are the speaker, so it is correct to use I not me (see Oxford Dictionary)

The Queen who speaks perfect English always says Phillip and I.

We were tought this from primary school - granted it was a long time ago - but basic English has not changed since then.

When you say John and I, you are the speaker, so it is correct to use I not me (see Oxford Dictionary)

The Queen who speaks perfect English always says Phillip and I.

We were tought this from primary school - granted it was a long time ago - but basic English has not changed since then.

Right! It's 'I' when you (and your companion) are the subject of the sentence, and 'we' when you (and your companion) are the object.
So, Her Majesty should say:"My husband and I went to the Palace last night"
but: "Boris Johnson has invited me and my husband (or for that matter 'my husband and me' if she wants to be extra polite about her husband) out to tea"

Latest posts

Back