Defensive Liz Earle Fans

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My first-ever Q purchase was LE minis. My face broke out in whiteheads, blackheads and red bumpies. Returned it after a week, but took me ages to get my face better. Never tried it again. And won't, ever. Ever.

I have use cleanse and polish before but now use A'kin geranium cleanser or soap and glory hot cloth cleanser works for me.
My friend uses the Asda N-spa hoth cloth cleanser and she likes it, im surprise at how good it is. Will be trying when my cleanser stock finish.

From what i've seen on Q Alison don't seem to like Liz Earle products very much or she don't believe in natural products. The atomsphere with her and Liz team always seems forced.

Do all these facebook fanatics have perfect skin and immaculate make up then? That's the only way I would defend a product. I can't defend the seller of that product unless they have done something good for me.

I like C&P - but have tried alternatives - and have come back to it.
I like the LE customer service on the phone.
I really like eyebright - but would try something similar.
Some things i have tried and they are nothing special and will not buy again

But i would never get all defensive of the brands or the products.

LE customer service is really good, agreed, The body cream is fabulous, as is the orange flower body wash I'll use what I have left but regardless I won't be buying more.....:heartbroke:

I have use cleanse and polish before but now use A'kin geranium cleanser or soap and glory hot cloth cleanser works for me.
My friend uses the Asda N-spa hoth cloth cleanser and she likes it, im surprise at how good it is. Will be trying when my cleanser stock finish.

From what i've seen on Q Alison don't seem to like Liz Earle products very much or she don't believe in natural products. The atomsphere with her and Liz team always seems forced.

I've sometimes thought that, but there are times when Alison says that she uses Liz products. I wonder if it is because of Alison's background working in Salons and her wanting to sell "professional salon products" on her shows rather than products developed by a journalist?

If I remember right, I think in the early days Liz was the only beauty brand to have there own shows and it was a while before Liz was on an In The Salon with Alison show. Maybe Liz didn't want to be on Alison's shows or Alison didn't like having a beauty brand on the channel that she was not involved with?

Funny how the Tcallers who speak to Keeley on air say how many years they've been using Elemis and how wonderful it is and then reel off a list of skin concerns making me wonder whether they should raise their expectations from a "wonderful" skincare brand!

Jude xx

I agree with a lot of comments on this thread about the fanaticism of the followers on FB and for this purpose don't even look there. However, people can still have skin issues even if they have a fabulous skincare regime. It's not all about what you slap on your face is it? Perhaps the TCaller indulges in dodgy fry ups ever night and smokes 60 fags a day!

Well if rumours are true, its more to do with the fact Alison does not like Liz. We had someone from Q, background staff once come on and dish some dirt. They did disappear quickly though.:wonder:

I use Elemis, the brand agrees with my rosacea etc. But did I expect to look 20 years younger using it, of course not. You use what you enjoy and your skin agrees with. No breakouts etc. Keeley like Liz is a business woman she is on QVC to sell you as many products from the brand as she can. I know at an Elemis counter they give the simplest routine to you, none of Keeley 20 products layering. You want to try something they will give out samples. In fact in my Debenhams its the Elemis facial they do most from, but do sell like an normal counter too . They have what I call the Star Trek chair it massages and vibes etc, you leave so relaxed. Oh and the famous black light machine, very very scary. You see every wrinkle and bit of damage under the skin and any dehydration too.

What has happened now is with things like QVC, Facebook and Twitter people follow and hang on every word of the person, think cult of the celeb. They are your personal friend and here to help you. No, the end is they want you to buy the products. Keeley is a very successful business woman, she runs two salons on in the UK and one in Cyprus. Unlike Liz she does not own the company she represents.

The same is of course true to Fiona and Andrew, they are the helpful smiling faces for the brand. But with Facebook the fanatics have taken it to another level with Liz and Keeley. You go to the official Elemis page on Facebook very very different.

I use a mix of Elemis and Liz Earle but my purchases aren't influenced by Keeley or Liz. I'm not interested in the face of the brand I'm interested in the product and does it work for me. I used both before coming to QVC and used to be able to buy both easily when I worked in London. I have used C&P for god knows how long. PCMC is more recent ... maybe 5 or 6 years.

I've tried plenty of other brands in my time and have played a bit with other QVC brands but I'm more or less settled now. C&P, IBST and PCMC are the staples for me. I've recommended a lot of people to try them because they've asked me what I use. More have tried LE than Elemis though.

I'm not evangelical about either brand and there are some things from each brand that I really don't like.

I don't like the "pack mentality" that t'internet somehow encourages. But apart from that aspect t'internet is a wonderful thing.

I think I read somewhere that Liz's partner Kim has left the LE brand - maybe did not agree with the link to the Avon name. I stand to be corrected.

Tinkerbelle, the very fact that people have asked you what you use means that you must be doing the right thing for your skin.

Funny how the Tcallers who speak to Keeley on air say how many years they've been using Elemis and how wonderful it is and then reel off a list of skin concerns making me wonder whether they should raise their expectations from a "wonderful" skincare brand!

Jude xx

From QVC's Question & Answer Page
http://blogs.qvcuk.com/qgossip/2010/01/elemis-expert-keeley-answers-your-questions-part-2.html

Q. Hi Keeley, I have very awkward skin and I'm wondering if you can help! It's very sensitive so many products make me bright red but I need something that will improve my combination skin and help with large pores. I also get small pimples on my cheeks, a dry nose and I have wrinkles around my eyes and nose. What a mess my skin is! Sue.

A. As you have many concerns with your skin I would suggest that you go back to basics with a good routine like
Lime Blossom Cleanser,
Lavender Toner,
Maximum Moisture Day and Night Cream.
Twice a week exfoliate with Papaya Enzyme Peel followed by Herbal Lavender Repair Mask.

Lime (oil or extract)
Fragrance: Synthetic and Fragrant Plant Extracts, Irritants, Plant Extracts
Citrus fruit whose volatile compounds are skin irritants and photosensitizing (Source: www.naturaldatabase.com)

Lavender extract and oil
Fragrance: Synthetic and Fragrant Plant Extracts, Irritants, Plant Extracts

Widely-used plant that's a member of the mint family. It is primarily a fragrance ingredient, although it may have antibacterial properties. There is no research showing it has any benefit for skin (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 301–308). In fact, it can be a skin irritant but there is a conflicting research on just how much of a photosensitizer lavender can be. It appears lavender oil all by itself isn't a photosensitizer, but when exposed to oxygen (as it would be when applied to your skin), one of it's fragrant components, linalyl acetate forms substances that lead to allergic contact dermatitis in and out of sunlight (Sources: The New Ideal in Skin Health: Separating Fact from Fiction, Thornfeldt, Carl M.D., Allured Books, 2010, pages 286–287; Contact Dermatitis, January 2008, pages 9–14; Hautarzt, February 2002, pages 93–97; and Contact Dermatitis, August 1999, page 111).

Research also indicates that other components of lavender, specifically linalool, can be cytotoxic, meaning that topical application causes skin-cell death (Source: Cell Proliferation, June 2004, pages 221–229). Lavender leaves contain camphor, which is known as a skin irritant. Because the fragrance constituents in lavender oil oxidize when exposed to air, lavender oil pro-oxidant. This enhanced oxidation also increases its irritancy on skin (Source: Contact Dermatitis, September 2008, pages 143–150). Lavender oil is the most potent form, and even small amounts of it (0.25% or less) can be problematic. It is a must to avoid in skin-care products, but is fine used as an aromatherapy agent for inhalation or relaxation (Source: Psychiatry Research, February 2007, pages 89–96; and www.naturaldatabase.com)

Papaya Enzyme Peel
Contains pineapple extract which in turn contains the enzyme bromelain, which can break down the connecting layers between skin cells to exfoliate skin
and, supposedly,
the enzyme papain extracted from papaya. Applied topically, papain can cause severe irritation, itching, and allergic reactions (Source: www.naturaldatabase.com) It is very fragrant, and absolutely not “perfect” for sensitive skin or skin that’s mature.

http://www.beautypedia.com/CosmeticDictionary.aspx

Last edited:
For all her faults I have heard Alison advising a caller to use a minimal regime, maybe the sensitive skin wash and the SOS cream for example, whereas Keeley seems to add more layers of additional products to an already busy routine. At the very lowest depth of depression I'v gone for days without even washing my face and hair and my skin actually seem relieved to have a period of recovery without being bombarded with chemicals. :nod:

My problem with the Liz Earle range is that there isn't a moisturiser I can use in the range but we always have Cleanse & Polish on the go or Elemis Pro-radiance cleanser (depending on the most recent TSV) as it works on my spot-prone DD and on my skin equally well. I can't imagine there's a skin-care brand in existence that would make me fanatical and evangelical about it. It makes me realise how cults like scientology manage to suck in otherwise intelligent people. They must tap into a similar need to belong; if they ever bring out a skincare brand I'd be very scared! :sweat:

Jude xx

They can be a bit defensive if the Avon subject crops up. If someone who is new to the brand goes onto the page to ask if it's true etc a few people can be quite rude saying 'Oh no not this subject again' or 'Well it was announced ages ago and was everywhere'. Well no actually it wasn't 'everywhere'. I remember getting an email/newsletter and it was on their blog on the site, it was also have been picked up by some beauty bloggers and also the business press. Hardly announced on the news! Also if you're new to the brand there is no mention on the website of the Avon takeover, therefore it is only natural that they ask on her FB page. It can be a bit intimidating if you're a newbie. I much prefer it here anyway :giggle:

Sorry I'm going to be one of those annoying people you have all been talking about :)

"Also if you're new to the brand there is no mention on the website of the Avon takeover", http://blog.lizearle.com/lizearle/2010/03

Smilely1, of course not they want you to think its Liz hand making the products in her very own kitchen. The fantasy does not allow for the multi global company which really owns it lock,stock and barrel.

By the way anyone interested Marks and Spencer have a new range called PURE with the bunny logo and saving the bumble bee. No nasties etc in the products. Oh and they have a hot cloth cleanser as well.

Smilely1, of course not they want you to think its Liz hand making the products in her very own kitchen. The fantasy does not allow for the multi global company which really owns it lock,stock and barrel.

By the way anyone interested Marks and Spencer have a new range called PURE with the bunny logo and saving the bumble bee. No nasties etc in the products. Oh and they have a hot cloth cleanser as well.

I bought the PURE hot cloth cleanser and their facial exoliator to try (they had 25% off in store, may still be on) -Not the most beautifully scented though, but they are effective and good value products.

After using LE Superskin my face broke out in sores, it was horrible, put me right off the brand. I'm not on Facebook, but I wonder what her devoted followers would have to say about that?

I was walking past an LE counter in Bluewater shopping centre about 6 months ago with a friend and I was telling her how they had sold out to Avon who tests on animals and I stopped buying it. The LE 'lady' rushed around the counter and gave me a right rollocking and called me a liar! If the Avon connection didnt put me off, she did....I wouldnt buy from LE again, ever.

I would have demanded the manager of the store there & then & insisted SHE got a right rollicking ! How dare she. I would think that warrants gross misconduct & an instantly sackable offence.:wonder:

I am using the No 7 Hot Cloth Cleanser at the moment & its very nice. Lovely smell. Never use the cloths, can't bear the feel of them when they are wet. I use a white flannel instead.

Last edited:
After using LE Superskin my face broke out in sores, it was horrible, put me right off the brand. I'm not on Facebook, but I wonder what her devoted followers would have to say about that?

Probably found some way to blame your face:confused:

i dont actually think that the sell out to avon is such a bad thing maybe its about avon as a direct sell brand. even so its part of a huge global co-orporation. if clarins had bought out liz earle or ren then i suspect there would have not been such an outcry.

i dont actually think that the sell out to avon is such a bad thing maybe its about avon as a direct sell brand. even so its part of a huge global co-orporation. if clarins had bought out liz earle or ren then i suspect there would have not been such an outcry.

My gripe is that Liz Earle carries the leaping bunny logo and is against animal testing, but they sold out to Avon who cannot claim to be against animal testing. If Liz Earle wanted to stand by their principles they should have sought a buyer who was also against animal testing and leaping bunny approved. So Clarins/REN/Avon are effectively all the same to me, none of them are approved by the leaping bunny org.

Latest posts

Back