Color Wow... or should that be Color Woe?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Watching Friday Night Beauty on mute. They're demonstrating the Color Wow. They've been really trowelling it on Sharon, and no matter how much they've slapped on, her parting never gets beyond a dark mauvey grey. Definitely not a great advert for this wonder product that apparently no QVC presenter will be without...

[SUB][/SUB]I've been using this for a couple of years and it works well on my mid brown hair- I think it would be harder to disguise black hair because it's not so tonal. This product has saved me a fortune as its enabled me to go longer between having my roots done ( my hair is completely White.) I have recently bought the cheaper (£5) W7 version from ebay and it works almost as well- for the price I think it's excellent .

I use it when the pesky greys come through and I like it. It is quick and easy to use compared to some products and lasts for ages.

The Color Wow gets pretty awful reviews on their website.. I have never tried it as I just don't like the idea of drawing crayon on my roots which aren't bad anyway... My hairdresser came today to cut my hair and I am growing out my too-blonde colour (always do my own at home and can't say I've ever got any on my hair line or forehead?!) and I said I was wavering and thought perhaps I should go really light again. She told me not to and said at the moment I had the ombré look people ask her for - and pay a lot for - naturally ;) Personally I can't imagine anyone wanting this look but as we've seen on air (Catherine Huntley!) intentionally sporting dark roots!

Back on the color wow, it always confuses me with these products with poor ratings which they push and rave about on air. Do people just take them at their word? I can't imagine watching a demo and ordering it without reading reviews both on qvc website and elsewhere and then price checking too!

A couple of times when I've found myself getting drawn in and convinced by a product, consulting the reviews has stopped me in my tracks. Then I watch the rest of the presentation wondering how they can spout such rubbish knowing it's been so poorly rated. Unless they believe what they're saying 100%?!

The trouble with the Color Wow reviews is that people leave a negative review if the shade that they have bought isn't right for their hair. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, it's just that they have bought the wrong colour!

I find that really annoying and not at all useful, why bother to leave the review? It's like people who leave negative reviews for skincare products and just say "It did nothing for my skin", well ok, what is your skin type? Are you even using the right thing for you? Etc.

But back to Color Wow, too many of the reviews are basically people who haven't bought the right colour and are complaining about it because of that.

Last edited:
Out of 7 colour choices dark and medium brown are the only 2 that could cause choice confusion surely. With John Frieda as co-creator I would be surprised if the colours are not relevant. Have to agree with you Ellaaa. Maybe Color Wow need to do a mixed blend as people go for mixed highlights and that is why their choice is not working, focussing on one colour. Not the product that is the problem, just their hair.

Out of 7 colour choices dark and medium brown are the only 2 that could cause choice confusion surely. With John Frieda as co-creator I would be surprised if the colours are not relevant. Have to agree with you Ellaaa. Maybe Color Wow need to do a mixed blend as people go for mixed highlights and that is why their choice is not working, focussing on one colour. Not the product that is the problem, just their hair.

I was talking about this with my hairdresser yesterday. I said it had been demoed and didn't look good. She said that they seem to have reformulated it to make it give more shine (so some sort of glimmer in it). We then got to talking about how it might be good if they did it with 2 shades in a palette.

If it's such a 'flippin good product and so easy to use, how come many of the presenters often have roots showing about 2 inches deep? How they can say it without blushing....

Watching Friday Night Beauty on mute. They're demonstrating the Color Wow. They've been really trowelling it on Sharon, and no matter how much they've slapped on, her parting never gets beyond a dark mauvey grey. Definitely not a great advert for this wonder product that apparently no QVC presenter will be without...

I just wanted to clarify to Loopy loo that this isn't crayon, it's a powder . I hated the waxy crayon versions as they made my hair look and feel greasy. Colour wow gives me some lift at my roots in the same way that I sometimes use dry shampoo to perk it up a bit.
At the end of the day, no one product suits everyone, but I guarantee that qvc have sold many thousands- so the few negative reviews, some of which complain of the colour, don't really mean much . It has good reviews on other shopping sites and the cheap version I just bought also has great reviews on Amazon . It's horses for courses, and of course those hating it can return it to QVC.

I start radiotherapy and chemo this week and will be using this to disguise my roots for as long as possible until I can get it coloured again!

Last edited:
I'd like to know why the container only has product in one half! If they want to avoid colour problems, they could put two colours in the container for blending.

I've been looking for something like this for my roots, so ordered it - I have a good match and find it a good product, but I'm really, REALLY annoyed at having a blank piece across half the container! Would it really have cost them THAT much more to take it right across or fill the space with a blending shade?

And, of course, as soon as it arrived, I came across the W7 product, which is identical to the CW stuff in the medium brown (even down to the annoying half-filled container!). But at a fifth of the cost (so they're somewhat forgiven).

I just wanted to clarify to Loopy loo that this isn't crayon, it's a powder . I hated the waxy crayon versions as they made my hair look and feel greasy. Colour wow gives me some lift at my roots in the same way that I sometimes use dry shampoo to perk it up a bit.
At the end of the day, no one product suits everyone, but I guarantee that qvc have sold many thousands- so the few negative reviews, some of which complain of the colour, don't really mean much . It has good reviews on other shopping sites and the cheap version I just bought also has great reviews on Amazon . It's horses for courses, and of course those hating it can return it to QVC.

I start radiotherapy and chemo this week and will be using this to disguise my roots for as long as possible until I can get it coloured again!

You're absolutely right about the horses for courses, SuziQ. I'm glad it works for you, as it sounds like a much-needed feel-good factor for you.

Can I just wish you every luck with your treatment - I hope you don't find it too exhausting, and most importantly, that it does the trick.

Best wishes to SuziQ.

I'm a dark brunette and it does work to cover my greys but oh what a grubby product to use!! I can't run my fingers through my hair without it marking my nails. And my nails are always done with just a clear polish. No matter how little I used or how much I brush it through I get "dirty" looking nails. It puts me right off using it.

Oh and the other thing I meant to say is that my Colour Wow has the powder the full width of the container. So this half full option must be the new version of the product.

SuziQ, Very best wishes to you for your treatment this week, and hope you'll soon be 100% fit and well again. Lots of get-well hugs from me.

I'd also like to add my good wishes to SuziQ. I hope that the treatment goes well and I'll be thinking of you.

Oh and the other thing I meant to say is that my Colour Wow has the powder the full width of the container. So this half full option must be the new version of the product.

Yeah - the company getting greedy option!

SuziQ - good luck with your treatment. If you feel weak, but still want to make your roots look better, try Ambience dry shampoo. It's a fine powder, bit like BM, that comes in a shaker brush (that lets too much out so be careful!). It's fast and very effective when dabbed lightly into the roots. The only bad thing I could say about it is that it's dull and needs some kind of shine enhancement. But for a quick freshen-up with colour, it's excellent.

Latest posts

Back