Claire Sutton

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can't stand her baby voice and simpering girliness, it drives me nuts. Not a fan of "mummy" either. I mean it doesn't matter, she or anyone can call their parents whatever they like of course, but I personally find it pretty silly. I never called my mum "mummy" even when I was a little girl so I guess it would be odd to me.

CS can call her mother what she wants and we know it is Mummy. I do think it unusual when talking to a third party, rather than family or friends, to say my Mummy rather than my Mother though.

I admire her after reading her blog about her depression it was an honest and candid account and i think sometimes she just paints on a smile even when she is feeling c**p.

Anyone who says "mummy" when they're an adult is irritating in my books.

I find "mummy" a very baby-ish term and very bizarre when used by an adult. As a toddler my nephew referred to his "mummy", but outgrew that term once he started school. It's "mum" he uses now.

When I first started watching qvc Claire did irritate me a bit, but she has grown on me since. She isn't even on that much really anyway. She seems warm and good-natured. Much better than egocentric Catherine Huntley or loud gobby Pippa.

Chuntley is on this afternoon so that is 2 shows today I couldn't watch. I would take Claire any day over her and Sara G

I can't watch either of those two either. Sara is just plain rude and Chuntley makes everything about herself or the "amazing" qvc. At least with Claire she doesn't come across as self-absorbed.

I think they develop 'on screen' personas. At least I hope so. I mean, can you really see Julia Roberts and Claire Sutton going through life with those girly flirty hair flicking giggles? Surely they act their real ages when off screen? (Fingers crossed, for their sakes!)

Claire don't really bother me, I have never switched her off/over, but I do find an adult saying my mummy rather odd/different. There are only two qvc presenters that annoy/irritate me and they are Craig smarmy Rowe and the eye rolling Marverine Cole...

I find her a bit much but not the calling her mother "mummy". I find it strange to start calling someone a different name just because of the passage of time. (but I don't expect people to cease doing things just because I find them strange). I called my mother "mummy" (with my accent pronounced "maw-me"), when I was a child and as she was still the same person when I grew up I saw no need to change her name. I wouldn't have referred to her as "my mummy" as she wasn't. She was my mother but her name to me was always "mummy" and my father was Daddy or one of a variety of nicknames - but never Dad.

Apart from that I find her a bit OTT but I do admire anyone for talking openly about depression. I didn't realise she had. So good on her.

I am a Swede and I call my parents Mama & Papa. I went to a private convent school here in the UK and quite a few girls used to call them Mummy & Daddy but my more down to earth friends said Mum & Dad, I think for me the latter would feel more comfortable but that is just my opinion. It doesn't affect my life what folks call their parents, so I just go with the flow :) Having said that, I never ask anyone "how is your Mummy" I would use Mum instead.

Inge x

My little ones call me mummy. I am dreading the day the inevitable switch to "mum" will happen.

I called my parents Mummy and Daddy but that all changed when they became grandparents because they were universally known as Granma and Gramps (ie by us as well). My children never called us Mummy and Daddy, always Mum and Dad, even when they were little, and still do, even though we're now a Granma and Gramps ourselves. I find it odd to hear Claire talking about Mummy.

I don't have a problem with the names people call their parents, although I agree that, regardless of the names I'd call them to their face or within the family, I'd probably be inclined to to use a more generic "Mum" or Mother" when referring to them elsewhere.

What I found really odd when my children were little and babies was the unusual grammar adopted by some parents and hospital staff. When first born my children were always called "baby" by maternity staff, never "the baby" or "your baby". I never understood this loss of a pronoun. I suspect it stems from not remembering names, and babies without names, but it struck me as a unsual. I'd be musing on this anomaly and often missed what they were actually telling me.

Then as toddlers there are the parents who refer to themselves always in the third person. As in "Nigel give those scissors to Mummy!" When they mean " give them to me" Grandparents sometimes do it to. I can kind of understand it with tinies, that it's done to avoid confusion, but even little ones soon grasp the concept of "Me" and understand that Mummy is also a "Me" when she's talking about herself. Then there are parents who don't shed this habit for years, still using the third person when their kids are 10+ years old.

My own family had so many family words and phrases it's a wonder I can speak English at all!

No its the little girl voice she uses when saying, "Mummy." Its creepy for a woman in her forties.

I think that's the crux of it. "Mummy" is just an affectionate nickname. It is the voice that makes it a tad odd to me.

Latest posts

Back