Claire Sutton - Speaking Rubbish

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Ciociaria

Guest Shopper
Claire has just said that it is unlikely that today's orders will reach us before Xmas - fair enough. However, she also said keep your orders coming because you can write little IOU notes to your friends and family. 'Xmas is not about the gifts but being together'. Yes, I agree with that but here's the thing: QVC, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY RETAILER IN THE COUNTRY. Despite the weather, I can still take the bus to the dreaded high street and buy wonderful presents (including QVC brands). Better than a scabby little IOU note - sorry, but that comment really enraged me. Rant over!

I think it can be a very nice idea and I have done the IOU a couple of times, especially when my children wanted any electrical goods as they are always cheaper in the sale after Christmas, or if they want/ed something specific.
On top of that I think I will have very little choice but to do this this year with things that I have ordered but that have not arrived so far:blush:

Don't really get all this about not arriving for Christmas. With the P&P charges they make, they should be using overnight courier services. I ordered a child's trike on Friday and it arrived yesterday in all the snow, and delivery was included in the price. Why can't QVC do that if they're so desperate for our custom?

Sorry Star234 - didn't mean to be offensive. I fully understand if you have already placed orders and I hope they arrive soon. However, what I'm more annoyed about is QVC encouraging us to order 'gifts' today, knowing full well that they won't arrive on time.

They have been saying for a few days now that delivery of items will be over "the holiday period" which just means that if you have to have them for Christmas dont order from them!

In fairness its not QVC's fault or any other on line retailer many of whom are in the same position regarding delivery's. Having said that I have received delivery's from QVC via courier but the one thing sent via Royal mail and shipped on the 6th December has still not turned up and the roads here have been awful.

This winters weather makes you think that the much maligned (by QVC) high street aint so bad after all I do wonder if it will actually affect peoples confidence in on line shopping

On the 9.00 show this morning the Instyler 3 in 1 was being demonstrated and Claire said it heats up to 190 degrees which is great as anything hotter will damage your hair.
If this is the case why are QVC selling Straightening iron that are hotter than 190 degrees if they are going to damage your hair.:wonder:

I cant imagine anything worse than having an IOU at christmas, how impersonal and tacky. No doubt next year QVC will be selling crafty IOU notes you can embellish yourself.
If you have ordered something off any retailer for home delivery that hasnt arrived ,id have thought it better to tell the person its on its way than some nasty iou note.
maybe all the shopping tv channels should start their sales early as i wouldnt bank on anything being delivered in time for christmas thats been ordered over the last couple of days.

Sorry Star234 - didn't mean to be offensive. I fully understand if you have already placed orders and I hope they arrive soon. However, what I'm more annoyed about is QVC encouraging us to order 'gifts' today, knowing full well that they won't arrive on time.

No offense at all, only wanted to give analternative viewpoint.

I don't think QVC can win what ever they say really. They are there to sell products so they aren't going to say don't buy this cause you won't receive it till after christmas.
Same with hair straighteners, they are selling all sorts of products and if they are given straighteners to flog that heat to 190 degrees they can't say don't buy these buy the ones that get hotter. It's up to us to decide if we want to buy from QVC or not, no one is forcing us.

I cant imagine anything worse than having an IOU at christmas, how impersonal and tacky. No doubt next year QVC will be selling crafty IOU notes you can embellish yourself.
If you have ordered something off any retailer for home delivery that hasnt arrived ,id have thought it better to tell the person its on its way than some nasty iou note.
maybe all the shopping tv channels should start their sales early as i wouldnt bank on anything being delivered in time for christmas thats been ordered over the last couple of days.

Is that not the whole point of an IOU note: as in
IOW a CD bought from Amazon which has sadly not arrived ( ordered in my case 2 weeks ago, dispatched the next day and still not here)
or:
IOU a laptop computer we can go and buy in the sale this week , which might mean you can get more for your money
I would not be offended getting one like that
still everyone is different, my MIL thinks its fun getting people dish clothes or tights for Christmas, now that is what I find offensive

Last edited:

Is that not the whole point of an IOU note: as in
IOU a CD bought from Amazon - which has sadly not arrived despite being ordered 2 weeks ago, dispatched the next day and still not here. And it is not the only item not arrived so far.
Or:
IOU a laptop computer we can go and buy in the sale this week , which might mean you can get more for your money
I would not be offended getting one like that
still everyone is different, my MIL thinks its fun getting people dish clothes or tights for Christmas, now that is what I find offensive

Claire has just said that it is unlikely that today's orders will reach us before Xmas - fair enough. However, she also said keep your orders coming because you can write little IOU notes to your friends and family. 'Xmas is not about the gifts but being together'.

Was this preceded by the promo that shows people giving awful gifts and the recipient looking glum which suggests that giving the wrong gift makes for a miserable Christmas? That promo isn't meant to make us think that Christmas is all about being together.

To be fair though they are trying to sell and will say whatever suits the circumstances. Christmas isn't all about pressies, so Claire isn't really talking rubbish but the vast majority of the time QVC want us to think about material things.

Was this preceded by the promo that shows people giving awful gifts and the recipient looking glum which suggests that giving the wrong gift makes for a miserable Christmas? That promo isn't meant to make us think that Christmas is all about being together.

To be fair though they are trying to sell and will say whatever suits the circumstances. Christmas isn't all about pressies, so Claire isn't really talking rubbish but the vast majority of the time QVC want us to think about material things.

That is because they are a shopping channel.:happy:

The thing is you may not be able to get to the dreaded high street, it does show you how gift obsessed we are at Christmas; it's good for the real shops in a way, at least some might not go out of business now.

I buy lots on-line as Jersey's shops aren't numerous, but I also enjoy the buying experience - but not in the snow!

I think everyone should show patience for the Royal Mail and couriers, would you like to do their job in this weather?

Yesterday they had the little dwarf using 1.5kg salt sticks (564609 £13.58 + £4.95 P&P) to get rid of the snow.

Tescos sell Rock Salt for 90p for 500g.

Latest posts

Back