Christmas Kitchen TSV 04/12/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Is the previous trolley still on QVC so I can compare and contrast?

When my siblings and cousins and I were little we used to snigger at our lovely Nana's tea trolley which she'd load up in the kitchen and rattle through to the dining table about 3 yards away. Now I'm feeble and doddery (at a far younger age than Nana) I can see the benefit of loading up on Xmas day and trolling the dinner through to the dining room in a single trip. Good Lord I'll be buying a hostess trolley next!

Nana is no doubt looking down from heaven, laughing and thinking "not such a silly idea afterall eh?:mysmilie_50:

" Sorry Nana!" :blush:

I think the wine rack slats are a big, off-putting mistake (not that I want one anyway).

I saw the demo online with the sound down. It was mainly Simon folding and unfolding it, and showing it stacked with laundry stuff, cooking stuff, sewing stuff, crafting stuff etc.

Those big holes in the top shelf make it very limited what you can put on it. All your sewing accessories would just fall through the holes, for example.

And if you use it for most of the examples above, you will probably keep it fully loaded with your stuff, so the easy-folding aspect would be irrelevant.

If you use it for sewing or crafting, where do your knees go?

Not every home has cold flat flooring either, I have carpet around the home (ceramic tiles in the small kitchen), and I find that anything with wheels on aint that easy to negotiate.

I think the wine rack slats are a big, off-putting mistake (not that I want one anyway).

I saw the demo online with the sound down. It was mainly Simon folding and unfolding it, and showing it stacked with laundry stuff, cooking stuff, sewing stuff, crafting stuff etc.

Those big holes in the top shelf make it very limited what you can put on it. All your sewing accessories would just fall through the holes, for example.

And if you use it for most of the examples above, you will probably keep it fully loaded with your stuff, so the easy-folding aspect would be irrelevant.

I watched a wee bit of the presentation, and they are struggling with this, in my view. Thing is, most of us don't have big enough kitchens to keep this in, folded or not... and if we're short of counter space it's not going to be folded back down.

I don't think the price is ridiculous - just look at the prices on Ikea's site for non-foldable: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/10471/

But I have to say, given they already sell (or sold) origami folding shelf units, why on earth not do their trolley??? http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/origami-fold-kitch-island?istCompanyId=bf3344d9-83f5-4abd-b69a-da131f7567d1&istItemId=mwwimwpml&istBid=tzxx&gclid=CKr8pe22wskCFRThGwodNlwCTQ

When my siblings and cousins and I were little we used to snigger at our lovely Nana's tea trolley which she'd load up in the kitchen and rattle through to the dining table about 3 yards away. Now I'm feeble and doddery (at a far younger age than Nana) I can see the benefit of loading up on Xmas day and trolling the dinner through to the dining room in a single trip. Good Lord I'll be buying a hostess trolley next!

Nana is no doubt looking down from heaven, laughing and thinking "not such a silly idea afterall eh?:mysmilie_50:

Don't mock the hostess trolley
My husband bought me one years ago because his mum had one:dull:
It spent years in the dining room as storage for dinner plates
Then one Christmas we had quite s few people over for dinner and it was hard trying to keep the
Food warm while dishing up and taking food to dining room
So I dusted down the hostess trolley plugged it in hoping it still worked
It worked a treat after dinner I just put all the plates back in and wheeled it to the kitchen
Still does not get used much but it is handy when we have a lot to dinner.

When I first got married many moons ago MIL also had a tea trolley she is just like Mrs bucket except she has a cockney voice and more like Onslo than hyacinth ,she came into the lounge fluffing up the pillows and then proceeded to boast about her trolley
She came in with it laden with crockery cakes and a China teapot,showing off so much that she caught a wheel on the door frame sending the lot flying ,nearly bit through my lip trying not to laugh
Never saw the trolley again

To my mind the top of this trolley is not thick enough for it to be called a butcher's block. I have only seen a pic on the website though.

I liked this but nowhere to put it either up or down. My mum has a similar thing in her kitchen with her kettle and teabags etc on it and it's very handy. I think she got it from Scotts of Stow for about £80.

CC

I liked this but nowhere to put it either up or down. My mum has a similar thing in her kitchen with her kettle and teabags etc on it and it's very handy. I think she got it from Scotts of Stow for about £80.

CC

They've got some lovely looking islands/trolleys on Scotts of Stow. Unfortunately having bought items from them in the past, I've been disappointed with the quality, and don't get me started on the paint finish on things. By contrast when I've bought from IKEA, the quality has always been excellent... superior to Scotts of Stow despite a lower price. It's a shame as I would prefer to be supporting British than Swedish companies (though I'm not sure where SoS actually source their items), but if you buy quality you buy once, as the saying goes...

I've got a wheeled butchers block from M&S - I 'park' it in front of the dishwasher and store all of my plastic tubs in one of the baskets, onions and garlic, the Ninja plus spare kitchen rolls in the second basket and have chopping boards and bread knife in the drawer.

I wheel it away to fill or empty the dishwasher and then roll it back again for the rest of the time. My dishwasher is beneath the sink drainer so the butchers block gives me an extra area of work surface for day to day food preparation.

Hard to explain what it looks like but no-one mentions it looking odd.

The top is covered in stainless steel so is easy to scrub down and use for pastry etc. I wouldn't be without it.

You would have to sit with your legs akimbo, isn't that right, Akimbo?

I only saw a short clip of this presentation and what struck me most was Simon saying that when it is in its folded state it is NOT self supporting not that it mattered as you could always slide it under a bed when you were not using it.
Now I may be being simple here but who on earth is going to be carrying this up and down stairs every time you want to use it?
I know in this house it would be put away under the bed never to see the light of day again.
Not one of the best thought out statements about a TSV.

I couldn't find the older version on QVC, Akimbo. I had a look last night. However, one of the ones for sale on eBay (see below) has a good, full description. Ignore the price they are charging - I'm sure the seller has put a 0 in by mistake and it should be £99.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Foldi...260992?hash=item1c5d787a40:g:S6QAAOSwHjNV7uhX

Also this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-I...374949?hash=item35f63bb5a5:g:pZQAAOSwI-BWLmOT

I only saw a short clip of this presentation and what struck me most was Simon saying that when it is in its folded state it is NOT self supporting not that it mattered as you could always slide it under a bed when you were not using it.
Now I may be being simple here but who on earth is going to be carrying this up and down stairs every time you want to use it?
I know in this house it would be put away under the bed never to see the light of day again.
Not one of the best thought out statements about a TSV.

That IS daft! He's right about it not being self-supporting though. You have to lean it slightly against something.

What would be sensible would be something you can use to hang it from the kitchen wall, so it's in the room where you intend to use it and easily accessible, no?

Debs has just corrected herself, and said QVC will not collect it, if you want to return it. She seemed surprised at this. Do they expect you to haul it to the post office? It surely exceeds the weight limit - is it 3kg?
Another nail in the coffin, of QVC UK, as a profitable company, it seems. It should be doing everything possible to retain and attract customers, not to drive them away.

Debs has just corrected herself, and said QVC will not collect it, if you want to return it. She seemed surprised at this. Do they expect you to haul it to the post office? It surely exceeds the weight limit - is it 3kg?
Another nail in the coffin, of QVC UK, as a profitable company, it seems. It should be doing everything possible to retain and attract customers, not to drive them away.

I heard that too - and was also surprised. If it's solid wood, it's going to be very hefty!!! I believe the hermes service gives an option for them to come and pick it up from you at home... but I wonder if they do timed collections or mosey on round in their own good time?

JF said they would collect it because of its weight - that was in the launch hour... oh dear.

JF said they would collect it because of its weight - that was in the launch hour... oh dear.

Blimey - so only in the final presentation hour do you get the truth! Shocking of QVC not to brief that correctly and then insist any presenter giving misinformation corrects themselves immediately. Standards are definitely on the decline...

Latest posts

Back