Catherine H and sensible

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I liked Sara G,she would always say to the guests (forgive me for interupting) a phrase AY has never heard of.
Lynn

She was one of my favourites too for exactly the same reason. Kara Tritton and Claudia Sylvester always seemed very respectful to guests and callers as well. Shame....

If someone doesn't have a credit card and is renting for years, possibly they can't get credit or a mortgage due to earlier credit problems or even bankruptcy? I really hope Catherine hasn't had difficult times, she raised two small children alone from a young age which I think must have been very difficult.

* two "difficults", sorry. Difficult difficult lemon difficult

If someone doesn't have a credit card and is renting for years, possibly they can't get credit or a mortgage due to earlier credit problems or even bankruptcy? I really hope Catherine hasn't had difficult times, she raised two small children alone from a young age which I think must have been very difficult.

* two "difficults", sorry. Difficult difficult lemon difficult
I wouldn"t think so. She lived with someone for quite a while and don"t know if that was bought or rented, if bought she might have money from it. And i"m sure when her house was flooded she probably got compensation for that. I don"t have a credit card either, as i learnt from bitter experience, that i"m hopeless with them, full of good intentions and let them build up. So when i had some money i got rid of it and the relief was tremendous. Never again. :cash:

Agree, credit cards (at least the interest they're charged out at) are evil! I think it's sensible to have one for emergencies, like being stranded abroad and needing to be able to get a flight home, that kind of thing but only if you know you are able to keep the spending under control. I'm still paying off Christmas 2011's presents on mine, it is such an expensive way to buy things. Everyone I know is getting homemade fudge this year!

From what I have heard her say following the flooding problem from her previous property rent, she is now renting again from English Rose Properties.
I'm not from either the South or well up with rental pricing but around £1,500 per month seems a lot to be able afford with just having a daughter at the BRIT school and a son away at uni.
I would guess the presenter salary is rather very very good and with the option to earn extra elsewhere in their plenty free time.
Catherine doesn't appear to be on a strict tight budget when you hear all the easy pays she goes for, and being very lucky for them to go out of each monthly wage.
I've heard her clearly state in jewellery shows, being able to easily budget for four easy pays of £350-£395 per month.
A lot of people are managing living on the basics with less.

So her reason for not having a credit card is up to her and none of my business, I'm certainly not spending my time worrying about it.

Last edited:
I don't think "having" a credit card and "being sensible with money" are mutually exclusive. I can see how a credit card makes it easy to spend more than you have or can afford but that's a conscious decision. A credit card is a useful addition to the wallet and can make managing your money easier and can help with large purchases. There's no substitute for "being sensible with money" though. And I think most of us are these days.

I've no idea whether Catherine is or not but I know I am. And sometimes it's a tad boring.

Get rid, i did. Just have to budget now . Boring but hopeless with them

I've got a credit card which I use for buying online, I would never use my debit card for this. I also use it for petrol and small purchases, I just set up a Direct Debit to pay the balance off in full every month, then I only spend what I can afford and there's no interest. It's a House of Fraser card so every so often I get a "reward" voucher to spend in the store. I made the mistake of paying for a holiday on a credit card a few years ago and I lived to regret it but having a card and paying it off every month helps your credit rating if you need to apply for loans etc.

I no longer have a credit card, it had to go when I split up with a partner about 8 years ago. Debit card for me and budget, if no money then I cannot buy, simple. You can get pay as you go credit cards, you put money on them for certain purchases like online and that it is. Never actually got one, but have looked at them a few times.

Most online stores now take Paypal anyway.

If you are paying for a holiday with a credit card for the security of the CC company being jointly liable with the tour operator if it goes horribly wrong, but don't want to get stung for a % surcharge for paying by credit card, you do not have to pay the full price for the holiday by CC to get this security, you can make a part payment (not sure if there's a minimum payment) by CC and pay the bulk by other means and still be covered for the full amount by the CC company. The trouble is that it might be difficult to split the payment online if it's a last minute booking, otherwise you could pay the deposit by CC and the balance by debit card.

Jude xx

I don't think it is Sara Griffiths who does the Gatineau adverts is it? What makes you think that? I would never have thought it was her voice putting on a French accent.

I don't think it is Sara Griffiths who does the Gatineau adverts is it? What makes you think that? I would never have thought it was her voice putting on a French accent.

She really used to do my head in when she constantly used to say 'now listen'!

Has just commented when talking of platinum clad diamonique and platinum credit cards that her card is not platinum in colour, but is red and white.

:wonder:

Catherine said today that she works 4 days per week. I wonder if she averages 4 days per week because the trend seems to be for the presenters to do long stints when they never seem to be off screen and then disappear for ages.

if you shop online, especially ebay where there is always a risk of getting ripped off, you are protected if you purchase using a credit card.

I dont know about salaries and I never like to speculate when it comes to money, prefer to accumulate it! No Catherine has spoken before about budgeting and easy pays. It is nice to hear. Julia wouldnt talk about budegting her own finances or having to use easy pays, for example.

Latest posts

Back