Card making: A cautionary tale.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shouldn't people just be pleased to receive any card that someone has taken the time and trouble to send? Sounds like Auntie should find herself a new use for her pokey tool and then a new nephew.
I make cards...i do it for my own pleasure and apart from some of my family and friends who also craft and look at my creations with an expert eye, I actually don't care what folk think of them :)

PS for non crafters, a pokey tool is a short metal rod with a very sharp point....eye wateringly sharp if you get my drift....

But not quite sharp enough for this cheeky guy :mysmilie_17:

I think it's a bloke thing (sorry to be sexist!). I keep all my 'nice' cards or handmade cards or cards from people I love. As does my mum, and my grandmothers before. They're such lovely keepsakes and bring back so many memories when you go back through them. But my dad? Not a cat in hells chance, nor either of my Grandad's, nor any of my male friends. I do think that (usually) cards mean far more to us girls, particularly when someone made it for you, than they do to most men! I've had male friends that I've known for 20 years and have never bought me a birthday card/Christmas card or any other kind of card, citing them as being a 'waste of money' and 'an excuse to rip you off'!

Aww that's a shame, I know my family appreciate the hand made cards that I send, but I was a little annoyed with a friend recently, I made her a lovely birthday card all embossed with a dufex 3d cat on it which would've looked great framed after, when I saw her I said did you like your card she said yes it was lovely, I've took the cat of to give you back so you can use it again, wtf!

Aww that's a shame, I know my family appreciate the hand made cards that I send, but I was a little annoyed with a friend recently, I made her a lovely birthday card all embossed with a dufex 3d cat on it which would've looked great framed after, when I saw her I said did you like your card she said yes it was lovely, I've took the cat of to give you back so you can use it again, wtf!

Oh no - maybe not every girl then!!! What a shame.

I thought exactly the same as you both Argey and Yazrose, don't forget the recycled envelope too.

I love it when i get a hand made card and those are the ones I keep in my special "memory" box with other things such as my son's first pair of shoes that I like to look as when I need cheering up. I know you can't keep everything so I am quite selective. As to the ungrateful card receipient, boo to you you miserable wretch!

Well put!

Firstly I wanted to say 'Don't send that ungrateful bugger a card next year!'
Card making is an expensive hobby, which a lot of peeps don't realise.. Ive made a few in my time and they've always been much appreciated.. Maybe the trick is to be selective in who to send these special cards to, people you know who will love them.. As for the others, pick out some really naff, ziggy cards (you know the ones, a closeup pic of a big bauble or similar) & send 'em one of these cards.. Then they will probably moan that 'auntie' has sent them a naff card! Grrrr.. Some people just don't deserve anything nice :mysmilie_11:

LOL
Daisy, you've just written exactly what my response would be. Not easy
to work out who will really appreciate all that hard work but worth a try.
I couldnt even say if it was really a generation thing but definitely thoughtlessness. (not sure the word "thoughtlessness" really exists but nothing like being creative :mysmilie_17:)

I think the remark is just plain rude, you don't have to "get" something, you just have to say thank you particularly as I assume Auntie is somewhat older than brat nephew and unless she's horrid should be treated with some respect

I chant a mantra about giving anything absolutely unconditionally and I really do stick to it barring one exception - I do parchment craft and nobody gets one of those unless they do "get" it. Other styles of cards, they're welcome to them, I hope they like them but I'm not bothered if they don't :D

I think I may have said before Vamps that I also have done a bit of parchment craft, following your train of thought, I'd only send one to a parchment craft maker or lover given the hours that even a 'basic' card can take.

Well I wouldn't bother sending him one of my precious creations again. Your auntie should just delete him from her list.

Moth - if Auntie is on-line get her to join crafttelly, not just a shameless plug - but she can chat to like minded peeps (mind you the boy would be in serious trouble)!

Card making is a great hobby and an addictive spending habit - but tbh the shopping is part of the fun for me :mysmilie_17:

I am sure her cards are great, if she joins CT, she can look at the cards that members make and I am sure she will be reassured that her cards are great.

Vamps don't blame you for not sending parchment cards to anyone - the work that goes into them makes them a real work of art!

I once got a parchment card off a forum member at Christmas, it was the skyline of either Bethlehem or Jerusalem, it was sooo beautiful it is wrapped up in tissue and I added a ribbon to seal it. I always keep my special handmade cards.

Moth - if Auntie is on-line get her to join crafttelly, not just a shameless plug - but she can chat to like minded peeps (mind you the boy would be in serious trouble)!

Card making is a great hobby and an addictive spending habit - but tbh the shopping is part of the fun for me :mysmilie_17:

I am sure her cards are great, if she joins CT, she can look at the cards that members make and I am sure she will be reassured that her cards are great.

Vamps don't blame you for not sending parchment cards to anyone - the work that goes into them makes them a real work of art!

I get a real buzz giving the cards to peeps who like them and I try to do something personal to them but I just don't know what planet some people are on to have said what nephew did :mysmilie_11:

I would be telling your Auntie to send him one of the cards they had in one of the supermarkets this year, with lots of pictures of Brussels Sprouts on them! Ungrateful little scroat!

I make cards and haven't had anyone make a comment like that, I have had people phone me up to thank me for the card, have had people frame my cards, have had them bring them back to me so I could remove the 'Happy Birthday' topper so they could get it framed and even people I don't particularly get along with have commented on my cards. Just tell her to remember all the comments from the people who do appreciate her cards and tell the little sod to away and stick his head in the oven and make sure it isn't an electric one!

What a terribly hurtful comment. I've received several "home-made" cards off a special forum friend over the last couple of years and have kept every single one of them because I appreciate the love and thought which has gone into their making.

I will confess to not being into art and craft myself but I can fully understand that it takes a lot of time and effort which is why it's always a pleasure to receive such personal items.

I really hope that your Auntie will have a change of heart and just cross the ungrateful recipient off her list!!

On the odd ocasion I've received a hand made card, it's much appreciated and never thrown out. I find it hard to understand why someone would think a shop bought mass produced card is more desireable!!! No soul!

I used to cross stitch cards for Christmas,and the ones I made my mum and first MIL would sometimes take me 5 or 6 evenings to complete. I then found out my MIL was just tossing them in the bin,and that she had her sister that I should do more housework and not 'waste my time' maqking 'silly' cards. I was working fulltime and had 2 small children at the time-I found cross stich wonderfully relaxing and I enjoyed finding new designs. Needless to say,I never made her another card. Now my mum,she kept them all-Christmas,Mothers day,birthday-in fact just before she had a stroke and developed alzheimers she suddenly handed me a container with them all in saying she wanted me to look after them for her. I now only make cards for people I know are appreciative of the time and effort. My mum still is,even though she is so confused,and my second MIL and sil both absolutely love them and have asked me to make a couple of cards for them to give on special occasions,which was a nice reassurance that they really do appreciate them.I feel for your Auntie,but it says more about the recipients ignorance than anything else.

Latest posts

Back