Can we trust the reviews?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I'm wondering about this after having tried the Merumaya try-me kit. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the products after they arrived because I found the perfume of them to be overpowering in strength and it lingered all day, which makes me feel unwell after a while. Everywhere else that sells this product have several reviews that are less than glowing mostly because of the perfume. However, not one single reviewer on the QVC site has so far made mention of it. Given that I've seen negative reviews taken off products in the past, can we trust that the reviews left are genuinely representative of purchasers' views? I would try to add my own but, for some reason, there is no option to add a review. The products smell very much like one of the lily family of flowers. I'm not sure if that is what the perfume is but I know it's a smell I cannot stand for long! Beautiful flowers but they make my eyes water.

I generally have a sensitive nose so I deliberately had a whiff of the cleansing balm at the beauty bash and ordered it on my way home on the train. It arrived and I've used it a couple of times and so far I like it but mine doesn't have a strong smell at all; I'll get a second opinion when my DD gets home from college. The woman who fronts the Merumaya brand reminds me of someone and it's bugging the hell out of me; anyone got any ideas who she reminds me of?

Moth I'm with you that I don't rely on the Q reviews too much unless there are 4 or more complaining of the same faults (they're probably right I reckon). There are so many soppy sycophants who give an item 5 stars even if they hated it and sent it back; what is wrong with these people? QVC staff aren't your friends they don't give two hoots as long as you keep buying!

I always read the bad reviews first, but even those with a tablespoon of salt on QVC, judging by the honest, unflattering reviews I've had rejected. You can't trust them. End of. Not that it bugs me that much because I don't buy much from them any more.

I read the reviews this morning and one person said they were allergic to the perfume/essential oil.....ylang ylang.

I think it depends what kind of product the review is for, tbh. One person's opinion of, for example, a set of bedding, can be subjective; what one likes, another may hate. A perfume, also, appeals to different people for varying reasons. If I read a review of a skincare product, written by someone with sensitive skin, like myself, I would place SOME faith in it, it wouldn't make my decision for me, but I would consider it. Fundamentally, I don't make a decision to purchase based on the reviews which, naughtily, I don't always read.

I`ve never had one rejected,, not that I have done many, even gone as far as saying they were less than truthful and by no means are they all 5 star ones either... but I have noticed every time without fail a negative is quickly followed by a gushing glowing one... from one extreme to the other!!!

The review button is working on that item at the moment. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch?
On the subject of fragrance, what people can tolerate or enjoy varies so greatly from person to person that what might seem very gentle to one nose, might seem unbearably strong to another.

Hi Moth, I checked the scent with DD and we agreed it does have quite a floral perfume; it reminds me of something, possibly the elemis pro-radiance hand cream, but very much diluted by comparison. The hand cream is over-powering but the Merumeya cleansing balm didn't even register as being scented until you mentioned it. I can totally appreciate if you can't stand it. I've returned or thrown out so many products that give me a migraine in minutes.

I don't take any notice of reviews for beauty products, fragrance, clothing (unless it is about sizing) or bedding.

If a review of clothing is helpful about sizing that is very helpful info. Any review that is based on a persons personal taste or opinion on quality I always ignore, because as we have seen on here, one man's meat is another man's poison. Some people are realistic in their expectations, others aren't.

Likewise beauty products. I have hated products others have loved, and loved products others have hated. I think it is pointless buying perfume off the telly. I have always returned it. There is no substitute for your own nose, in a shop! What would I care what a perfume smells like on someone else, with a different taste and body chemistry to me.

Reviews on kitchen gadgets and tech items are always useful, and I do pay attention to those.

I when looking at beauty products for reviews go to the beauty bloggers(depending if they are honest and state the company sent them a freebie, which does not always guarantee a good review), and forums(those tend to be based in the US though), people buying the products and if not liking will return.

I am weird and if I dislike the smell will not use something, I open pots on counters and sniff.

I have never had a review on QVC refused, I keep it simple and if really like the product will say why. Okay I don't actually buy much from QVC now, so know I want it before I buy. But I buy online elsewhere and they send emails and ask you to review what you bought. If in the mood I will, had four accepted by SpaceNK since Christmas, but as they were sales products unlikely to return.:mysmilie_17:

I personally write reviews on all products I buy from QVC. I even write reviews on products that QVC sell, that I buy elsewhere.

As for me reading reviews, I only do this if it's a product I want to try but don't know anything about it.

If it's clothes I look at the reviews mainly for fit and what the bad reviews are saying and to see if it's something I care about. If someone marks down an item for not having much heat, I take that as a positive.

For skincare I am looking for results and in relation to things I have most problems with so if lots of people say it softens fine lines but there is little about lifting it puts me off as I need lift.

Oh God I need lift!

Latest posts

Back