Big surprise on Thursday at 9

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think in the US, carnivals and parades and their spectacular shows like the one the Rockettes do, we couldn't touch... but Nutcracker is a Christmas tradition in UK like pantomime... so I think there is always a good chance we would do it better. That kind of sounds arrogant , but I hope you know what I mean.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much about it being OK for your OH to travel to countries he's currently restricted from. A retired nuclear physicist is still a nuclear physicist, and he won't have forgotten what he knows on retirement... so he will still be in demand and/or vulnerable in some countries. Sad, I know. And your connection might still make it undesirable for you to go either, as a vulnerability that could be exploited.
Oh how I would love to see The Rockettes before I fall off the twig! The timing is impeccable, the costumes, everything, what a show! I do love Gershwin Strato and had not heard about the tv show but I will have a gander and see if I can watch in on a replay platform. I saw a lovely show around 10 years ago which ended with Rhapsody in Blue, I think it was by the English National Ballet, terriffic.

True. I think you are probably right (nad I live in dream world), it may be still considered dangerous for Paul to travel to restricted countries, especially Russia. He has a retired colleague who got hauled over the coals because he was holidaying in the Florida Keys and travelled to Cuba for a weekend. When he landedback at Heathrow, security pulled him for an "interview"! They might grant permission for me to go alone but it is a slim xhance and I don't fancy it by myself anywayg. My daughter Lucie wanted to go to Cuba for a 2 week package holiday and they put the kybosh on that. They did allow her to go to Egypt 2 years later but with restrictions. She was only allowed to stay in the resort complex. She couldn't go into Sharm town and couldn't go up to see the pyramids. A bit pointless going at all, so she went to Spain instead. My Brother lives in Belgium and I have not been over to see him in over 8 years because, believe it or not, we can't go there! Bro has been over here, no problem with that but Belgium has too many Russians now and has been put on the denied list. No Christmas markets in Brugge for us, shame. Looks like France is also a bit dodgy but not denied as yet, you do have to tell them intricately where and when before you go. Crazy world we live in isn't it? xx

Hermes has broke I think. They lost that L'Occitane TSV of mine and I'm grateful I got the replacement speedily but was worried when a Parcel from Disney store online was held on to by Hermes for 5 days. I emailed Disney telling them Hermes had already lost a parcel with another company and hours later the status on Hermes was changed to now ready to deliver. I know it probably just got sorted but would like to believe Disney gave Hermes a kick up the behind, love the idea that Hermes might be scared of Disney but don't worry about QVC.

I too have all my presents but am still waiting from a small gift from Australia, its been waiting for departure since the 2nd Dec, I don't feel confident that plane will fly anytime soon due to the present variant situation.
Everyone should be scared of Disney lol. Don't ever try to sell anything to do with Disney unless you've a license - even something made out of material with Disney characters on. "Don't mess with the Mouse".

CC

The COB lights I bought were tracked successfully on Hermes up to the “we’ve got them” part. The following day the tracking said there was a delay. The next day they had gone back to “we’re expecting them” so either the lorry was driving in reverse or the tracking was broken.

I rang QVC’s CS and asked for a phone number for Hermes but she told me she hadn’t got one that she could give me. She did say that she would chase it up. The next day the tracking went to “on their way” and they were delivered the following morning. QVC’s 3 - 5 working days for delivery went out of the window though, but at least I got them. 👍

Oh how I would love to see The Rockettes before I fall off the twig! The timing is impeccable, the costumes, everything, what a show! I do love Gershwin Strato and had not heard about the tv show but I will have a gander and see if I can watch in on a replay platform. I saw a lovely show around 10 years ago which ended with Rhapsody in Blue, I think it was by the English National Ballet, terriffic.

True. I think you are probably right (nad I live in dream world), it may be still considered dangerous for Paul to travel to restricted countries, especially Russia. He has a retired colleague who got hauled over the coals because he was holidaying in the Florida Keys and travelled to Cuba for a weekend. When he landedback at Heathrow, security pulled him for an "interview"! They might grant permission for me to go alone but it is a slim xhance and I don't fancy it by myself anywayg. My daughter Lucie wanted to go to Cuba for a 2 week package holiday and they put the kybosh on that. They did allow her to go to Egypt 2 years later but with restrictions. She was only allowed to stay in the resort complex. She couldn't go into Sharm town and couldn't go up to see the pyramids. A bit pointless going at all, so she went to Spain instead. My Brother lives in Belgium and I have not been over to see him in over 8 years because, believe it or not, we can't go there! Bro has been over here, no problem with that but Belgium has too many Russians now and has been put on the denied list. No Christmas markets in Brugge for us, shame. Looks like France is also a bit dodgy but not denied as yet, you do have to tell them intricately where and when before you go. Crazy world we live in isn't it? xx
I wonder if they will have to deny you visiting London soon, as there are so many Russians here... where I live is near the N. Korean Embassy, so that might be restricted. Such a shame as you love a cultural activity which Russia has contributed to so heavily.
I vicariously enjoy things like The Rockettes on You Tube.

Just received it. I get quite angry with the local Hermes person.

I had a large note on the door saying that I was in, and please ring the bell.

All my recent deliveries have just been left outside the front door, as was this one.

I'd been looking out regularly during the 2 hour time slot, but to no avail. The first I knew that he had been was a email with a photo of it on the doorstep! The doorbell was never rung!

As for the item, the whole part with the pads is FLEXIBLE and FLOPPY.

There was no way to tell this from the photo and description. It means it can't just be placed on your lap, you will need a suitable-sized table (and most are far too high) or else a large rigid tray for you lap.

It is a lot smaller than I hoped, but this will improve the accuracy of where you hit it.

I haven't read the instructions yet, just given it a quick try by trial and error. It's not very loud or bassy, but I expected that, and it comes with an audio cable to plug into an external speaker. No Bluetooth unfortunately, but I knew that.

If necessary, I can return it to my local Aldi (it was online only to buy it) and that would be about 1 1/12 mile walk each way. At least it is very lightweight.

View attachment 22792
Returned it to my nearest Aldi today as the weather was dry.

Total time door to door walking = 2 hours.

And as I came out of the store, light drizzle started so I got damp after all.

But no problem returning it, and an immediate refund.

I also bought some turkey slices for xmas day, as neither of us can be bothered with the fuss of a real turkey this year.

I wonder if they will have to deny you visiting London soon, as there are so many Russians here... where I live is near the N. Korean Embassy, so that might be restricted. Such a shame as you love a cultural activity which Russia has contributed to so heavily.
I vicariously enjoy things like The Rockettes on You Tube.
We should be okay with London. Paul goes up to the MOD in Whitehall quite regularly as he works for them but 90% of the time at another location. There are a heck of a lot of Russians in the capital, such a melting pot. You tube is a great idea, I never thought to check out the Rockettes but I will do that, thanks! x

Returned it to my nearest Aldi today as the weather was dry.

Total time door to door walking = 2 hours.

And as I came out of the store, light drizzle started so I got damp after all.

But no problem returning it, and an immediate refund.

I also bought some turkey slices for xmas day, as neither of us can be bothered with the fuss of a real turkey this year.
Why not be done with it & just have fish fingers?

Actuallly Strato, surely a Turkey Crown would be simple? Or a bit of beef? Shop ordered Beef Welly (easy to slice?)

If Xmas dins stresses you so much, just treat it as a Sunday Lunch. Sliced turkey (pre packed) is seriouslu off piste, as, I expect your GF may be if that is what you serve up, prepared with this years housework themed gift.

Get ‘Ms I buy everything ’ on Qurio to cook you a piece of beef in one of the QVC cooking gadgets.She is going on about it showing a piece of beef that looked like a charred remain and the gang of likeminded shopaholics were all enthusing about it.Maybe the sliced Turkey would be a better choice?

Why not be done with it & just have fish fingers?

Actuallly Strato, surely a Turkey Crown would be simple? Or a bit of beef? Shop ordered Beef Welly (easy to slice?)

If Xmas dins stresses you so much, just treat it as a Sunday Lunch. Sliced turkey (pre packed) is seriouslu off piste, as, I expect your GF may be if that is what you serve up, prepared with this years housework themed gift.
She wasn't best pleased, I will be having them in sandwiches from now on.

I was going to buy a crown, as I usually do, but were all sold out.

It’s only another day. Eat what you want. We have been brainwashed into a so called obligatory traditional Christmas.

We have had some bad cases of avian flu here so some poultry producers shut down making chicken/duck/turkey in short supply and then of course the price rises from those still in operation.
We'll be at our daughter's home this year & doing an Italian Christmas; it's a long weekend holiday so if my Mr T wants a traditional meal there are several opportunities when one can be done. I've been a vegetarian for 45 years, however, I don't like nuts so the ubiquitous nut roast's out & my Christmas dinner is invariably loads of vegetables - as long as I've got roast potatoes I'm happy. For a few years when the girls were little we didn't have Christmas dinner because it seemed a waste of the morning doing all that cooking when they only liked a few bits so we had a big breakfast & a buffet in the late afternoon. This is when we decided to have a grown up meal for the two of us on Christmas Eve, open our presents to each other & give Christmas Day over to the children.

Another weekend Another easy pay code, ALL3ez for 3 pay ends 20th December
Doesn't excite me in the least. These days I'm happier to put any spare money towards my bnpl's and my catalogue bill. This means I'm paying off the stuff I've bought for Christmas and the lovely things I've needed and bought in the past year. It's great to know that if I really need or fancy something I can have it, being able to buy extra little bits and bobs just for the sake of it doesn't do it for me at all. I'm sure the diehards will be wetting their pants at the prospect!

Everyone should be scared of Disney lol. Don't ever try to sell anything to do with Disney unless you've a license - even something made out of material with Disney characters on. "Don't mess with the Mouse".

CC
Whistleblowers have said Disney have connections with the mob. I have read this quite a few times over the years. So deliver our parcels, or you will be swimming with the fishes.

Continuing the discussion of ballet, I've just started watching a live stage version (on TV) of "An American in Paris" introduced by Darcey Bussell.

Only watched about half hour so far, but hadn't realised there was so much ballet in it, superb dancing, really enjoying it.

It was on TV a week or 2 ago, well worth watching if you like ballet and Gershwin's music. Should still be available on catchup.
Oh yes!
I saw that a few years ago when it was first shown on TV.
Ithink it was Christmas day (Christmas 2018 according to iPlayer).

It’s a great production and it’s still on iPlayer for 11 days more! ;)

I just had to look up the film version which I love but had forgotten when it was released.
1951 apparently - when it won best picture Oscar amongst several others.
Good old Gene doing his magic too! :)

Here is link to catch up of the stage (tv) version:

I’ve not voted, but I have watched it. I record it and then fast forward through a lot of the waffle and just watch the dances and the judges’ comments.

Rose is the one that I think deserves to win. i think she’s remarkable as she cannot hear the music at all.
I watch it religiously (unless I’m too like last weekend when I had to record it and spent the week watching it!)
I knew the results because I’m in a village “competition”, where we have to list the order we think participants will leave!

I hadn’t heard of most of them and missed the launch show, so I’m not doing well this weekend!

I think Rose and Gio will win and would deserve to...
I probably prefer to watch AJ dance.
But John and Johannes are fab too and they’ve broken down many barriers etc.

Think it will be an exciting final! :)
(It was an excellent semi too - you have 3 votes and I gave them to AJ and JoJo as I was sure Rose was safe, and I didn’t like Rhys as much)...

I’m another who watches Strictly on fast forward. Put it on, pause it at the start and take the dog for a walk and then come back and fast forward through Tess (we all loved it) Daly and Claudia (you’ve both worked sooooooo hard this week) Winkleman.
Far too much waffling…just do the dance, get the marks and get off.
It would also be vastly improved by having the results show later the same night and getting rid of the farce of pretending it’s a different night.
I never watch the results show, I just look for the results via spoilers on Sat night/Sun morning.
Kai and AJ for me. But Rose will win.

Latest posts

Back