Behind The Scenes... Anything and everything you want to know

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is a good thread. It's interesting to note some of the reactions when pre conceived ideas are challenged and rebuffed.

Do you know what the "burnt on grease" is that they use for steam cleaner shows?

I've always thought it is something like dried brown sauce, not grease at all.

I bought one, and it certainly doesn't shift REAL burnt on grease.

In the fashion hours why do the presenters never tell us what size they or the models are wearing? It would be so helpful. Instead, they go on and on about the colour - this is navy, this is tan, this is pink...........! Guidance with the sizes would be so much more useful.

Hello! Now these are the questions I was expecting and can answer! Finally people are getting it! :)
Ideal world don't use robot cameras, and I don't think they should. As you've said, it makes viewing frustrating and slows everything down. The shots are all uninteresting too.
I just covered the number of cameras etc in my answer to another question, so please see that above this post :)

Demos for ideal world products, I.e. Not crafty... Are thought up by a specific development production team that are designated a certain genre such as technology, household, garden etc. They liase with the manufacturer of the product to come up with demos to show the product. The demos are tested and the most effective ones make it to air. New products typically will trial numerous demos until the find the right formula of what works to sell the item, then the show begins to settle down into a typical routine. Then development production will re-address the demos down the line to rejuvenate the show. Guests are also involved in this process.

Setups of shows are done 100% by the floor manager assigned to that show. The times vary dramatically depending on products. Setting up a craft show selling mostly card stock can take 10 minutes. But if the producer wants all the samples fanning out, displaying on big stands, with demo boards behind, massive set dressing etc, loads of samples, it can take 2-3 hours. It's the logistics of having to move crafting counters in and out of sets, removing shelving, bringing dining tables into studios etc. All whilst they are live in a set about 5 feet away. So everything takes so much longer as you have to be slow and quiet. It's why it's such a manual job. People think there are a lot more sets than there actually are. One set that was seen at 10am that's white, with a logo, craft counters and nothing else, can by midday be a cosey sit down area with tables, chairs, shelves, a kitchen etc. Although tv looks like magic, it's done exactly as it'd have to be done at home. A kitchen has to be wheeled in, chairs and tables carried in, shelves screwed into walls etc.

Regarding DIY shows, especially the painting ones are hard hard work to set up. The house set can't fit through the normal studio doors, so you have to move the largest set wall, sometimes whilst they are in that set, open up the full height doors that basically take a wall out of the studio, and 4 people are required to wheel the house into a free set.

Completely ironically, there are handy men that do diy jobs and construct sets etc. They paint the house set ready for painting shows. Yet because of the noise of a paint sprayer, they can't use it whilst shows are live, so it done with a roller!

Hardest shows to set up are painting shows, steam cleaners etc as they require so much labour to get the sets in. Technology ones are by far the nicest set up.

The one that takes the longest prep are the jewellery and watch shows. All the jewellery has to be cleaned and everything that is on that show has to be checked, verified, and laid out and labelled on a table off set, in all colour options. So for example, a watch show may have 22 watches on. Each watch may have 2 colour variants. Or more. So you have a minimum of 44 watches to clean, label, verify, set the time, lay out on tables, get security to focus their cameras on them etc. If you're on a jewellery show, that's the only show you'll do on a shift.

The worst by far to do are wig shows. Each wig has around 6 colour variants. All with stupid names, all looking the same in colour and style. So easy to get wrong. Then managing a presenter, guest and models too. Average set up time 3 hours. And 2 hours to strike (pack away).

Very interesting, thank you!

I was interested to see "in all colour options" - something QVC regularly gets wrong. I think - correct me if I'm wrong - that IW studios and warehouse are both in Peterborough - so it's relatively quick to get anything missing rectified? It's beyond annoying on QVC when you get the "I'm sorry but we don't have a sample in this or that colour". To me, if it's in stock they should be able to show it on screen. If not, then don't make it an ordering option. Much better to be sure you can see before you buy.

You've confirmed my suspicions about the paint shows! How ironic that they can't use the Wagner to speed up dressing the sets... :mysmilie_17:

How many sets/studios are there? I keep seeing a conservatory (seems to be used for the Thomas Sanderson, Plumbs, and Cruise shows, but maybe others) - is it real, or just mocked up in an indoors studio? Obviously there is the garden (nicer than QVC's back yard). I'm thinking even if there's only 1 indoor studio, it's large enough to have 2 sets in it, isn't it?

One thing I think IW could improve on is their fashion show sets. They've got a little stub of a catwalk, but the models have to step up onto it, they can't just walk on from backstage, or so it would seem. I do like that they have the models miked up so they can participate fully in the shows. I've noticed a few of the models do both IW and QVC shows... and it's nice to hear the ones who just smile on QVC actually talking to the presenter / guest.

I get you about the wigs - I can't tell the difference, and unless the wig is on a head, it's extremely difficult to tell unless they are significantly different lengths or styles (curls or straight for example).

The questions I asked were more about front of house type questions, you know the people we actually see who are trying to get us to part with our money, behind the scenes is of absolutely no interest to me so I'll depart from this thread, just thought I'd explain why I asked my type of questions because to me they were valid ones.

I may be being thick but I don't quite understand the question..? Do you mean how long do I think the current line up of presenters will be there..?

What I'm asking is, for example BidTV went b00bs up, do you think IW is going to be on our screens for say the next year, 5 years, 10 years??? are the foundations stable for the long term??

This is a good thread. It's interesting to note some of the reactions when pre conceived ideas are challenged and rebuffed.

Completely agree. I came here to put right the insane thoughts by some. Then told the answers are boring... haha

Do you know what the "burnt on grease" is that they use for steam cleaner shows?

I've always thought it is something like dried brown sauce, not grease at all.

I bought one, and it certainly doesn't shift REAL burnt on grease.

Where possible to source, they try to use some real burnt on grease with proper baking trays etc. The demos they do in the kitchen, on the actual oven they use for kitchen shows are all real.
However, all the ones that you see on a demo hob, bin, high chair etc are all prepped with watered down gravy browning in squirty bottle. Which as you can imagine, actually wipes straight off with your finger, let alone a steamer. This is also the same product that is used for dirtying carpets for bissell cleaning shows.

Last edited:
How much is each show rehearsed, assuming it is not a regular repeating show?

Shows are 100% never rehearsed. There is no studio time or space to do so. Guests and presenters undergo screen tests before getting jobs on the channel. Guests may practice their demos in their spare time etc. However, new shows are not at all rehearsed. Meetings are held and everyone involved has a detailed set of notes from production development on the main selling points, the cost, its benefits etc. This is then also fed to the presenter in their ear throughout the show.

In the fashion hours why do the presenters never tell us what size they or the models are wearing? It would be so helpful. Instead, they go on and on about the colour - this is navy, this is tan, this is pink...........! Guidance with the sizes would be so much more useful.

I don't think that is done on purpose. I definitely floor managed shows where the presenters said what size they were. Especially Loen seemed quite good at saying "im a size 16, and this is quite loose, so If i were you girls, I'd size down."
So in answer to your question, there's isn't a reason for it. They just forget, or don't do it. Maybe email in during the show and ask them to give their sizes on air..? :)

Very interesting, thank you!

I was interested to see "in all colour options" - something QVC regularly gets wrong. I think - correct me if I'm wrong - that IW studios and warehouse are both in Peterborough - so it's relatively quick to get anything missing rectified? It's beyond annoying on QVC when you get the "I'm sorry but we don't have a sample in this or that colour". To me, if it's in stock they should be able to show it on screen. If not, then don't make it an ordering option. Much better to be sure you can see before you buy.

You've confirmed my suspicions about the paint shows! How ironic that they can't use the Wagner to speed up dressing the sets... :mysmilie_17:

How many sets/studios are there? I keep seeing a conservatory (seems to be used for the Thomas Sanderson, Plumbs, and Cruise shows, but maybe others) - is it real, or just mocked up in an indoors studio? Obviously there is the garden (nicer than QVC's back yard). I'm thinking even if there's only 1 indoor studio, it's large enough to have 2 sets in it, isn't it?

One thing I think IW could improve on is their fashion show sets. They've got a little stub of a catwalk, but the models have to step up onto it, they can't just walk on from backstage, or so it would seem. I do like that they have the models miked up so they can participate fully in the shows. I've noticed a few of the models do both IW and QVC shows... and it's nice to hear the ones who just smile on QVC actually talking to the presenter / guest.

I get you about the wigs - I can't tell the difference, and unless the wig is on a head, it's extremely difficult to tell unless they are significantly different lengths or styles (curls or straight for example).

Yes the IW studios and warehouse are in fact the same building. You can literally walk from the studio to the warehouse in 10 seconds.
Regarding colour options and stock... The stock/warehouse is like a separate department. The warehouse is full of stock ready to be sent out. The television side of things are sent "samples" in by the company and looked after in a smaller area called "sample co-ordination". All items of stock are checked in and checked out of here and prepared for shows by this team. So, i agree, if you can't be shown it, they shouldn't sell it. But talking about why they can't just "get one", its because they can't use stock, only "samples".

Studios...
There are 2 studios. One for create and craft and one for ideal world. Opposite ends of the building. Each studio has 4/5 sets in. Each set being able to double/triple up as others. For example, the area used for a home show, with shelving etc, is also the DIY set. They take out the shelves, and pull back a folding wall, and now the set looks like fencing.

The conservatory is all real. It used to be purely used for storing plants in the winter, but now it has been turned into a full time set. It is based in the garden, and has full connectivity, just like the studios.

The fashion show sets are all purely pieces of walkway that are put in for that specific show. It is extremely heavy and also gets knocked about a lot. Hence why it looks quite ropey. The cat walks can't get some backstage, as the distance between the sets and the back walls is about 1 foot. It is full of lighting and cabling, and is a health and safety nightmare. The models have to also change between outfits around the back of here too.

The questions I asked were more about front of house type questions, you know the people we actually see who are trying to get us to part with our money, behind the scenes is of absolutely no interest to me so I'll depart from this thread, just thought I'd explain why I asked my type of questions because to me they were valid ones.

I see what you're saying, but please refer to the very first post where I said what kind of questions it would be for. Thanks anyway.

What I'm asking is, for example BidTV went b00bs up, do you think IW is going to be on our screens for say the next year, 5 years, 10 years??? are the foundations stable for the long term??

If im honest... I really couldn't tell you. IW seem to be making money. From sales figures I heard over talkback, and from what I have seen in the press, they seem to be quite successful, especially in craft.
However, as you've said, other channels have gone flop. There's also a lot of rumour from the inner circle of tv guys, that Hochanda is doing extremely poor on sales. But that's no surprise when it looks and sounds as disgusting as it does. lol.
So, all I can do is draw my own conclusion that, currently, they don't appear to be in any trouble. They keep their costs low by paying uni leavers at a small wage and don't uprade any equipment.

Where possible to source, they try to use some real burnt on grease with proper baking trays etc. The demos they do in the kitchen, on the actual oven they use for kitchen shows are all real.
However, all the ones that you see on a demo hob, bin, high chair etc are all prepped with watered down gravy browning in squirty bottle. Which as you can imagine, actually wipes straight off with your finger, let alone a steamer. This is also the same product that is used for dirtying carpets for bissell cleaning shows.

I wasn't too far wrong then with my dried brown sauce suggestion.

My steam cleaner was not worth the effort of getting it out to try and clean the oven etc, so I haven't used it for years. It was new to the gadget market when I bought it from QVC.

How can this possibly be the case: QUOTE "Whether these are then corrected on air by the presenter is out of the producers control" - OK, maybe not totally the Producer's control, but if a presenter keeps on giving out misleading information, should they still be presenting, I ask? Should IW not read them the proverbial riot act and wave a P45 in their face? So are you saying that we have to assume the producer will correct the presenter when he/she gives misleading information, and then the producer will happily leave it up to the presenter to decide whether to correct it (or not bother!) whilst they are on-screen?!! There is one presenter on IW who gives misleading information on a regular basis, and certainly DOES NOT say "you can get it home for £xxx plus p&p". Said person says something like "it's just 2 fivers" - which is a load of old tosh. Are you seriously telling us that this person is regularly corrected by the producer, does nothing to apologise for, or rectify the incorrect information given whilst still on-screen...and yet is STILL allowed to present on IW? Does the tail wag the dog there? Seems mighty suspicious to me.
More than happy to respond. As long as I'm not negatively impacting Ideal, I am happy to oblige. Although the thread was meant to be more for technical/behind the scenes, rather than whether I know of purposely misleading presentations. haha. In my 100% honest opinion, I do not think ANY of the bending of truth you hear is malicious or intended to mislead, even if it does. I never heard anyone say off-air "ha, well yeah I said this, it's a complete lie, but hopefully it'll get the mugs sitting at home to buy it". I think it's purely a mix of error, presenters getting carried away etc.

Regarding them all having everything. I can not vouch for this as fact as I've not visited their houses. But it is quite possible that they have a lot of it. Put it this way, all staff get a 20% discount. Guests obviously get a free product to test out at home and get familiar with it before demo'ing on air. It is also quite common for companies to give a couple of freebies away to keep the people representing them sweet.

In addition to this, I won't disclose potential salaries, but they are evidently going to be on a comfortable salary. Therefore, getting 20% off a £80 nutribullet, is quite appealing, easy to afford, and is a nice thing to have. I do also have a few of the presenters on social media, and do appear to be using Nutri-bullets etc. Therefore, again, I can see where the skeptical comments would come in, but when you view the facts, its probably quite reasonable to believe it as true.

I do also agree that the Flexi-pay thing can be misleading. It's because they are meant to say "you can get this HOME for £30+p&p." Which is true. You pay 1 payment, to get it, then try it, before doing the other flexis. It's purely meant to make it seem cheaper and no obligation. But again, it's a detail that gets lost in presentation.

And finally, yes, as mentioned in an earlier post, the liability lies with the company and the producer of the show. Therefore, any issue with facts being wrong, are very quickly picked up and corrected by the producer. Whether these are then corrected on air by the presenter is out of the producers control, apart from to keep repeating it in their ear. The thing with live television is, it's over and done with as soon as it has happened, and there is still the rest of the show to get through. So sometimes it just has to be left, and then addressed later. This is the same in all tv shows.

Hope this helps? :)

Last edited:
Treat with very large pinch of salt, I'd say, having read thus far.:giggle:

Your kind of comments are the reason I came on here in the first place. Then when you don't get the answers you believe to be true, you stick to your skeptic remarks. Haha.
I've got no reason to lie. I don't work there, nor is it my company. I just saw a forum of people talking nonsense about something I know about and wanted to correct them. Yet I'm to be taken with a pinch of salt.....

Latest posts

Back