Beauty brands which have come and gone...and why?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You're very well informed donna255, I'm impressed. And whatever happened to Blublocker sunglasses? Pipa used to model/demo them before she became a presenter.

Ok, I know it's not a beauty item (maybe comes under health though?),
but does anyone know what happened to Brite Bites?

I used to buy those bars quite often and even Jill Franks would happily devour them!

Oh gawd...I remember those!! I bought a stash of them when they were a TSV. I'd just had my daughter and thought they would help me lose some extra weight. Did they?? Did they heck!!! They were pretty vile too.

Brite Bites - now that's going back a few years!
They used to be guest presented by Marvin Segal, the son of QVC's founder, remember him? The regular QVC presenters would fawn all over him, in much the same way as they do over the Basso creature!
(Marvin was considerably nicer than Basso however!)
He used to always show a life-size cutout of himself of when he was considerably larger in size & also a pair of his ginormous trousers that he used to wear!
Anyone else remember those shows?

They used to be guest presented by Marvin Segal, the son of QVC's founder, remember him? The regular QVC presenters would fawn all over him, in much the same way as they do over the Basso creature!
He used to always show a life-size cutout of himself of when he was considerably larger in size & also a pair of his ginormous trousers that he used to wear!

I certainly do
I used to quite like the Toffee Fudge Brite Bites, 3 or 4 of those with a cup of tea used to hit the spot :D

Yes, I do remember that, KWC although I'm sure I can't understand how he managed to shift all that weight by munching on Brite Bites.

Another diet fad they brought in was the Cabbage Soup Diet - you got a load of packets of freeze dried soup delivered and I think you were meant to drink about three or four a day!!

Oh how nostalgic is this thread :D

They dropped SunLabs tanning too which was annoying as the tsv's could be really good value and I love the stuff.

Tony & Tina used to be in Debenhams some time ago. I didn't like much of it but yes the mascara in the tube was a good one. I never did like any of the Pupa stuff - always lovely tempting packaging though.

QVC are a tough business partner to deal with but as you also say they do rely on exlusivity of product as much harder to sell if you can pop to any high street for it. I worry about Ojon longer term because it seems likely their new owner will look to put it to a wider audience and maximise the brand perhaps.

I remember Karen Herzog and at the time there seemed to be lots of new beauty brands, so many you didn't know if you were coming or going so didn't bother with any much. Brite Bites - the man was so funny, I remember him standing with Jill Franks saying how good he looked and he was bigger than the card board cut-out.

I also remember Patsy Palmer flogging her beauty range once, that seemed to sink without trace perhaps that's why she's back on Eastenders. Steve Redgrave didn't re-appear either with his clothing which seemed to go down well at the time.

I certainly do
I used to quite like the Toffee Fudge Brite Bites, 3 or 4 of those with a cup of tea used to hit the spot :D

3 or 4?!? *oink oink!* :11::D

Actually, I think you were supposed to eat a couple at a time, weren't you & thinking back, I'm sure a lot of the t-callers used to say they bought them just because they liked them! (Or were too darn lazy to cook anything! lol)

Thank goodness they're not around today, I have 2 teenagers that would probably live on the things, as they apparently find making even a tuna sandwich or cheese on toast just 'too much effort'!

Oh how nostalgic is this thread :D

They dropped SunLabs tanning too which was annoying as the tsv's could be really good value and I love the stuff.

Tony & Tina used to be in Debenhams some time ago. I didn't like much of it but yes the mascara in the tube was a good one. I never did like any of the Pupa stuff - always lovely tempting packaging though.

QVC are a tough business partner to deal with but as you also say they do rely on exlusivity of product as much harder to sell if you can pop to any high street for it. I worry about Ojon longer term because it seems likely their new owner will look to put it to a wider audience and maximise the brand perhaps.

Perpahs that why I've not seem Mister Mascara for a while, they are in House of Fraser as well. They can't get away with such high p&p if you can pop down the road and get some.

You're very well informed donna255, I'm impressed. And whatever happened to Blublocker sunglasses? Pipa used to model/demo them before she became a presenter.

I loved the Blueblocker sunglasses. The lenses where super strong, however, the frames where rubbish and broke within weeks if months if you were lucky. Pity theframes hadn't been more sturdy.

omg ive been thinking of those bars for ages couldnt for the life of me remeber what they were, i baught them once they tasted lovely but were too expensive and didnt make me loose weight lol

Not beauty, but remember Joy Mangano(sp) with her storage stuff and Claire Murray doing New England hat boxes and homewares? And then there was a woman who did window treatments - take a sheet and with these magic rings turn it into classy drapes? Can't remember her name! And the cake lady from Glastonbury - yummy cakes but always arrived smashed to pieces!

Last edited:
I remember Blu Blocker, weren't they on about a year ago? Not a full show.

Sun Labs where doomed when AY slipped on the stuff and broke her wrist.:11:

Oh Tony and Tina mascara was lovely, I really liked it.

Mister Mascara I believe is still going,not on QVC though.

Some brands hang on at QVC like limpits. Gale Hayman anyone and Tova.

Aaaahhh memories, Joy Mangano balancing a car on her Rolykits and I'd forgotten about the curtain woman. And the paint on tooth whitener, which should have been called Bright Bites but was called something I just can't remember.

Was it Tony & Tina who had the glittery eyeliner pencil?

Remember Talika? Something to do with plastic surgery recovery in blue packing i seem to remember? Never used it but see loads of QVC brands past and present are on hqhair

I have seen Talika in Claires Accessories and John Lewis.

Perpahs that why I've not seem Mister Mascara for a while, they are in House of Fraser as well. They can't get away with such high p&p if you can pop down the road and get some.

Fenwicks do Mister Mascara and Aveda, at least the one in York does. It is a great shop actually as it does Ren and Cowshed and it did have Pout at one time.

Latest posts

Back