Australian Bodycare TSV 15/4/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'll try anything, I get bitten by all sorts mossies/midges/insects/all of them love me for some reason............the annoying little *******!

I`ve tried the Avon oil but it didn`t work for me. I know some people swear by it though.
Last year someone on holiday said taking B vitamins makes you less tasty to the insects so I may try that this year. I try to cover up as much as possible but the blighters always seem to find flesh.
My husband escapes scot free, same holiday, same room, same bed and walking the same dog at home and he NEVER gets bitten !

Not claiming it is better than deet or making any medical claims at all but I have heard that all insects hate Avon skin so soft dry oil body spray. Is this true? I have some and I may use it and dab some tea tree oil on for good measure! To be fair the midges don't think I taste very nice. My mum however suffers terribly in the spring/summer months.

I've been using the Avon SkinSoSoft oil for years, from camping in the Lake District to hot humid suumers in N America and Canada. It's the "Original" scent body oil spray that seems to work to deter a range of flies. I tend to use it instead of aftersun as a moisturiser. I don't particularly like the scent but it's fairly inoffensive. The only serious bites I've had with the oil were black flies in Canada (nasty wee buggers!)

DD and I suffer less than Mr Akimbo and our son, but they have fairer pink-toned skin whereas DD and I are more yellow skin-tones which might be a factor. But DD and I eat Vegemite (Marmite) whereas the boys don't. I think it's an old wives tale, but it's quite satisfying teasing the boys with it! They'd still rather get bitten than eat it! Deet based products still work the best though.

Not claiming it is better than deet or making any medical claims at all but I have heard that all insects hate Avon skin so soft dry oil body spray. Is this true? I have some and I may use it and dab some tea tree oil on for good measure! To be fair the midges don't think I taste very nice. My mum however suffers terribly in the spring/summer months.
No I tried the Avon skin so soft body oil and the lotion and I got badly bitten. I am someone who gets bitten a lot and also reacts to bites.

I got bitten in my own garden the other week and suffered for days with itching and swelling and pain so sympathise with all others of the same ilk. So looking forward to my tsv, I love the body lotion on my dry feet and not tried the wipes before so looking forward to those too.

I gave in and went for it on advanced orders.

Think I might too CMQ. Still galls me having to pay £6 postage, but it is good value I suppose isn't it?

The postage is what's putting me off, takes the total to over £40, which feels a lot of money. However ithe skinwash really is the only thing that gets rid of the little bumps and spots on my back. So I've ordered it on advanced orders, gives me a couple of weeks to change my mind!

my feelings exactly!

Well, I caved in at 10.15 last night. I'm not getting it until the 18th May though so it gives me a chance to use up some of my stash.
God, I'm so weak at times.

I`ve tried the Avon oil but it didn`t work for me. I know some people swear by it though.
Last year someone on holiday said taking B vitamins makes you less tasty to the insects so I may try that this year. I try to cover up as much as possible but the blighters always seem to find flesh.
My husband escapes scot free, same holiday, same room, same bed and walking the same dog at home and he NEVER gets bitten !

I'd heard the vitamin B thing so eat marmite regularly - don't know if it works but tastes nice to me even if the midges / mozzies don't like it

My pleasure. Some people just seem so much more prone to bites than others. There's some excellent advice on avoidance in the second website I posted. Sorry to hear Deet set off your headaches, that's not unheard of. You could try a lower percentage Deet to see if you can tolerate that more easily, and I always recommend to my patients that they apply it and try it before they go on holiday so they know if it irritates them or not before they travel. Nothing worse than getting to your destination and finding the sunscreen or insect repellant you've brought with you reacts with your skin/gives you headaches etc!

My husband survived them one year using Avon oil but he didn't like the stuff so that didn't help - he hardly gets bitten anyway.
I'll try a less % of deet before I go to see if my head survives.
To be honest I never used to get bitten until about 5 years ago when we went for an early evening walk and I got 25 on my back - since then they love me!!

mine arrived today, even though I'd ordered it on advanced orders! called up and was told a large number cancelled their orders to re-order on advanced orders freeing up space on the list...

mine arrived today, even though I'd ordered it on advanced orders! called up and was told a large number cancelled their orders to re-order on advanced orders freeing up space on the list...

Thats a bit naughty if you did not want it until May.

Argh how annoying! I have it on advanced orders and have budgeted for it to arrive in May. Hope it hasn't been shipped already.

like the body lotion. its petroleum based but thats fine by me as it lasts all day. cant smel it at all and i feel fresh even after a rather hard gym class

I wasn't going to order this as I had plenty of stock but did in the final hour as it was
On Advanced Orders and thought I won't have to pay for it for another month so will be annoyed if it
comes this week!

Well, my set arrived yesterday, so I had a play last night.

Skin Wash. - Nice. Felt clean after bathing, but I think I prefer a bar of soap as I didn't seem to get much lather. I may need to invest in one of those scrunchy things at the weekend to see if that improves it.

Oil - Haven't tried it yet. Not exactly sure what to do with it really.

Wipes. Disappointed. Quite dry even though the pack was sealed. Superdrugs own brand are far superior IMO.
http://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Tea-Tree-Sensitive-Wipes-30/p/824657#.VVwdyU9Viko

Body Lotion - This was an item that I wasn't too fussed about really and honestly thought that I wouldn't use it, but by God, I love it. Sinks straight in & is very cooling. Smell doesn't seem to linger for more than 30 mins, but that's fine, because I actually think it smells quite nice.

So, all in all, slightly disappointed. Think I might return it and just order some of the lotion on its own?
I'll decide over the weekend.

Well, my set arrived yesterday, so I had a play last night.

Skin Wash. - Nice. Felt clean after bathing, but I think I prefer a bar of soap as I didn't seem to get much lather. I may need to invest in one of those scrunchy things at the weekend to see if that improves it.

Oil - Haven't tried it yet. Not exactly sure what to do with it really.

Wipes. Disappointed. Quite dry even though the pack was sealed. Superdrugs own brand are far superior IMO.
http://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Tea-Tree-Sensitive-Wipes-30/p/824657#.VVwdyU9Viko

Body Lotion - This was an item that I wasn't too fussed about really and honestly thought that I wouldn't use it, but by God, I love it. Sinks straight in & is very cooling. Smell doesn't seem to linger for more than 30 mins, but that's fine, because I actually think it smells quite nice.

So, all in all, slightly disappointed. Think I might return it and just order some of the lotion on its own?
I'll decide over the weekend.

I don't like things with SLS in, but I LOVE the Skin Wash - it will come into its own as the weather hots up, too. It's not drying, and actually feels lovely. I don't use a scrunchie thing, and because I've got the 1 litre size, I actually use some of it as hand wash as well as in the shower.

Tea tree oil I find I use for things like: making sure scratches and spots are clean (dab some on directly, or using a drop on dampened cotton wool); mouthwash (don't swallow as it doesn't taste nice); gargling with a drop in a few millilitres of water when I have a sore throat, cough or a cold; I also swab ears and nose to get at any lurking cold germs - dampened cotton buds and a quick swoosh around nostrils and ear canal opening, but not down into the ear canal... I also used successfully when I had a fungal nail infection and a fungal skin problem (which caused the fungal nail infection). Just a few ideas of how I use it.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with tea tree oil I get on the DHS (eg: Holland & Barrett) which is also melaluca alternifolia.

I've not tried the body lotion, but your review there sounds promising, as I have a real bug-bear with stuff that doesn't sink in. I bought some SBC body butter which was so "claggy" and felt like it was just sitting on my skin and then rubbing off on clothes or sheets depending on whether I was putting it on day or night.

the wipes do dry out quite a bit. the packaging may be the problem which is a shame as i like to use them occasionally

Latest posts

Back