ASA Complaint About QVC and UltraSun

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Having burnt a couple of times as a child (before we were educated) and knowing it is miserable, and suffering sunstroke the first time I went abroad, I am very very wary of the sun. So when Ultrasun first came along i thought it was the answer to everything. I am very fair and never tan, so i don't seek out the sun and would always choose the shade but sometimes you can't avoid it. I have never burnt using Ultrasun, but as I say, i don't sunbathe. But i do feel confident enough in the product to go out and about in the day, or to sit outside when visiting people etc. My main concern is the 'up to 8 hours' thing - is this 1 hour? 2 hours? When i am working i get ultrasunned at 7am so in theory it is all used up by 4pm latest, can you reapply at that point?

Another thing - does it wash off or does it just disappear? Surely after swimming and towelling you need to reapply. I would even though it says water resistant.

Another thing - does it wash off or does it just disappear? Surely after swimming and towelling you need to reapply. I would even though it says water resistant.

It bonds to the skin providing you give it the recommended 15 minutes setting time so water isn't a problem. The friction of a towel would be unless you pat gently. The SPF 30 family version has lots of silicone in it so the SPF chemicals are presumably protected by the rubber film until it is gradually exfoliated off.

New guidelines in the US make sunblocks say water resistant since technically speaking no sunscreen can be totally waterproof. I don't do the sunbathing or swimming thing but, if I did, I would certainly reapply after swimming in a pool or the sea and after showering just to be sure.

Yes earlier this month of end of last I copied a bit from the beauty blog templia(sp) showing the new US rules. Lots of things they are not allowed to claim about sun creams now, including waterproof and once a day too. You have to say up to for skin type etc.

Mind you, I remember the days when they used to tell us that Riemann P20 was the best thing since sliced bread !:mysmilie_505:

Well, I DO think P20 is the best thing since sliced bread. Our family are all very keen scuba divers and we use P20, following the instructions to the letter. We all wear full length wetsuits, dive down to 30m and none of us burn, even though three of us are very fair skinned. Mind you, we don't lie out in the tropical sun for 10 hours a day and we also top up our faces and shoulders etc. with a bit of SPF30 or 50 for the first few days. We all top up our faces with SPF 30 on a regular basis throughout the holidays. Any Once A Day sunscreen that can survive multiple dives a day is worth its weight in gold. We are off in a fortnight and I have my P20 in the house ready for packing - wouldn't be without it. The only down side is that it really stings if you get it in your eyes, so you have to be really careful.

They did change the formula a number of years ago and it now gives UVA and UVB protection and dries in 15 minutes instead of 90!

So it is true. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. :happy: Perhaps a tap with a rolled up newspaper might remind Abby.:devil:

Newspaper doesn't work.
Trust me - I've tried it on Himself.

Now cattle prod!
That's the business!

Where to get one though?

A friend has just got back from Turkey. It was very hot. She sun-bathed and used the pool. By her own admission she has skin like rhino hide. She used UltraSun for the first time - and got burnt to buggery :talking:

I think if you are in high temperatures you are likely to get burnt anyway if you're exposed to the sun - no matter what lotion you're wearing. Especially if you're only applying once a day!

We often holiday in Turkey and it can be hotter than hell on Sunday. On one holiday I ended up buying factor 30 because I was getting too dark. I rarely if ever burn but I hadn't expected Turkey to be that hot.

This is what QVC replied to me when I ask for the P&P back

Thank you for contacting QVC.

I can confirm that Ultrasun 5 Piece Suncare Collection has a once a day
application (up to eight hours), based on the average day light
consumption. This product is also designed for use when enduring water
activities such as swimming, therefore it should not need to be re-applied
throughout the day. Unfortunately we are therefore not able to refund the
postage on this occasion.

If we can help with anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us

Best Wishes

This is what QVC replied to me when I ask for the P&P back

Thank you for contacting QVC.

I can confirm that Ultrasun 5 Piece Suncare Collection has a once a day
application (up to eight hours), based on the average day light
consumption. This product is also designed for use when enduring water
activities such as swimming, therefore it should not need to be re-applied
throughout the day. Unfortunately we are therefore not able to refund the
postage on this occasion.

If we can help with anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us

Best Wishes

Did you send the kit back and ask for your P&P under the DSR? I am not sure why you wanted your P&P refunded.

I was sucked in by the hype and then when I read on here I sent it back and asked for the P&P refunded I beleive I was out of the 7 day return period under DSR regs but as you have to reapply the cream it was not as stated on TV as a once a day application

I was sucked in by the hype and then when I read on here I sent it back and asked for the P&P refunded I beleive I was out of the 7 day return period under DSR regs but as you have to reapply the cream it was not as stated on TV as a once a day application

I understand but if I believed everything the presenters said whilst trying to make a sale I would have to send a lot back to QVC.

By the by I have used Ultrasun in temps of 100 degrees and not burned but another time I used it in lower temperatures I felt the need to re appy after several hours.

Latest posts

Back