Are they trying to humiliate larger models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a supposed size 14 to a supposed size 20 and they all fit. There appears to be a vast and varied difference between brands and hence why I never buy clothes from Q and rarely buy clothes from other online retailers unless I`ve tried them in a store first.
I could take 5 dresses into a fitting room, all supposed to be the same size and one would be too tight, one too big, one would be too short/too long, another would have too high a waistline or sleeves too short/long and then maybe one would actually fit me but even then it would depend on whether it not only fit me but whether it suited me too.
Trousers are even more of a nightmare because I`m tall, broad waisted but narrow hipped and no bum. To fit my waist they drown me on the hips and at 5ft 10, most are way too short.
The point is, if Q wants customers to buy their fashion and with their ridiculously high p and p, then it isn`t just professional for them to have their models dressed in the right sized clothes, its essential for customers to be able to envisage how it would look on themselves. Q simply don`t seem to get it, they can`t seem to understand that Mrs B who`se 5ft 4 and a size 18 is looking for something totally different than Mrs C who`se 5ft 9 and a size 12 and all they have to go on, is what they see on the models and the vital information from the presenters and guests.

Ah yes - the vital information which is too often the cop-out "phone Liverpool to check"! You are so right. How any of us can say "I'm a high street size --" and be confident to buy that size in any shope we go into... nope, not happening. It is essential that they put the sizes on screen and also read them out. They must also give us the dress size and measurements of the models. They should also disclose any shapewear that's being worn as well.

It's pointless the presenters saying what size they are wearing unless we also know their measurements. We have all discussed the farce which is Julia "I'm in a small" Roberts, and Debbie "I'm in a medium" Flint... neither of which are convincing.

it isn`t just professional for them to have their models dressed in the right sized clothes, its essential for customers to be able to envisage how it would look on themselves. Q simply don`t seem to get it,

That's it ! nail on the head ! as viewers we roughly know what size we should be wearing, be it a size 14 or an XL - and it IS essential that we can visualise ourselves in an item, so sending a plus size model on the runway dressed in something that gets understandably caustic comments, is not the right way to get a plus size audience to buy. I cannot believe those in the Gallery at Q are seeing different images that we are at home - and find it hard to believe that young people working there do not comment on what they see (especially the fellas, who can be the cruellest, but the most truthful).

I have been measured for a bra at different shops and been told different sizes. I was also told that different styles may mean you need a different size. I measured myself once and got a different size to the other two. I was told by a friend that you really need to go to a corsitier for a correct fit. I have been measured over tops, bras and no bra on. I have also got bras in exactly the same style and size from the same shop and they have fitted differently. I despair.

In the past I've gone to Rigby & Peller to buy my Bras but they usually cost between £90-£110, luckily a small independent retailer in my local town has just opened and is selling the same brands as R&P at a fraction of the price.

In the past I've gone to Rigby & Peller to buy my Bras but they usually cost between £90-£110, luckily a small independent retailer in my local town has just opened and is selling the same brands as R&P at a fraction of the price.

Oh thats a thought, we have an independent lingerie shop in our town, will pop in and see. I have a phobia about nipples so like T shirt bras.

Q also need some presenters who don't keep telling us they are wearing "a small" or saying "I'm in a medium" - whilst looking as though they have been shoehorned into the garment. It does nothing for the garment whatsoever and assumes the viewers are fools, which people are not.

Can't believe Q are deliberately setting out to humiliate larger models,but I agree they don't do them any favours.Yesterday the larger model was wearing a Nina Leonard dress,the one that comes in a two pack .They put her in the most hideous pattern available and it was too short.I cannot imagine anyone wanting to look like that and being persuaded to buy it.The model has a great figure so its not to do with that.They just dress her wrong.

Whilst it is important that they read the measurements out pronto it is even more important that the actual garment is those measurements. The last Tiana B one was FIVE YES FIVE inches LESS than was on the website. Whilst I appreciate that there can be a tolerance of +/- but 5 bleeding inches.

Oh thats a thought, we have an independent lingerie shop in our town, will pop in and see. I have a phobia about nipples so like T shirt bras.
You could book yourself a fitting at R&P as a special treat sometime, maybe for a special birthday or anniversary? Once you have been properly fitted and know what you're looking for, you can buy from online retailers with a bit more confidence.
Bra fitting is a bit of a hobby horse of mine, and it's amazing what some people wear, thinking they are in the right size.
There are a couple of things to know about bra fitting. Start with the band, and work out the cup size second.
The support is meant mainly to come from the band, and on a new bra that is properly fitted, it should feel fairly tight on the largest hook setting. If wearing a wired style, the wires should sit on the rib cage at the breastbone, not stand proud of it. After being worn and washed a few times, you will find the elastic gives a little and you will find you can move towards the tighter hook settings. If the band rides up at the back, it's too big, and isn't supporting your chest. Also, raise your arms above your head, and the band should stay put and not ride up - nothing should be falling out underneath!
When you reduce band size, you need to increase cup size by one. So if you're in a 36 G (for example) and you need to try a 34 band for better support, your starting point should be 34H.
Different brands do fit differently, so you often need to try on, and work out any adjustments in size needed using the above criteria about band fit and cup fit. This is where a good bra fitter can help. Usually, they don't use a tape measure at all, but will assess the fit of what you're wearing and go from there.
I'd definitely recommend you avoid M&S for fitting. I've never known anyone achieve a good fit from them.
I recommend R&P, local independent lingerie retailers, Bravissimo (in that order).
For good bras for larger busts, look at Elomi and Goddess bras.
When you know your size, Ample Bosom are a good online retailer and offer excellent customer service.
Re the cups, they should enclose the breast completely, with no bulge over the top (too small) and no wrinkling of excess fabric (too large).

Spot on Pick a Lily!

I'd just add - if your boobs escape under your bra - the bra is too big (eg: you're in a 40 when you should be in a 38.

In my opinion and experience, minimiser bras are not great on a fuller bust, unless you like your boobage in your armpits.

Personally for a larger bust I don't believe in minimising at all... I like to get the bras with side support - so Fantasie is a make I rate as they do a number of bra designs with side support (brings your bust away from your sides making you look less broad when looking front-on). At R&P they do a fantastic (but not cheap) make called Bella Donna. Undoubtedly the most comfortable bras I've ever worn... but too rich these days for my wallet. If the bra band is correct for you under-bra, and the cups are the correct size, the weight of your bust is not on the straps so much, so a good fitting bra should reduce the red welt experience.

Full cup all the way for a larger cup size ( less jiggle and more support).

Just imagine what a horror story trying to buy a proper bra from QVC would be?!?! Lots of waffle about a pretty design, limited range of cup sizes (and they would be telling you if your size has gone to go up a back-size or a cup-size). My mind is truely boggling at the thought!

I agree completely. Minimiser bras 'minimise' by flattening and spreading - the complete opposite of the old Playtex 'lift and separate'. The resulting look is shapeless and unflattering.
I believe Elomi are a Fantasie brand, along with Freya and a couple of others. Goddess are a recent find for me, and I find them very good too. Sally at Ample Bosom is very helpful if you have queries about the fit and support of alternative brands compared with what you usually wear, and they have a fantastic selection of stock.
The idea of bras being sold on Q fills me with horror.
(No doubt Glen would be advising on styling with a little jacket and no need for a shirt, dress it up with a little trouser and you're good to go etc.)

They tried to sell US brand Breezies for a while but leftover sizes languished in Last Clicks for ages. It may be a QVC own brand and seems to sell well over there.

Lucky you! Don't suppose they sell on t'internet as well...

They tried to sell US brand Breezies for a while but leftover sizes languished in Last Clicks for ages. It may be a QVC own brand and seems to sell well over there.

I think the advantage they have in the US is that the sheer volume of sales they can generate means that they tend to carry a full range of sizes, so they are not limiting their sales. In the UK the volume is just not enough.

I've tried shopping for bras when over in the US and Canada in the past, but it's such a different system to ours it's really difficult to have the confidence in what you pick up to try on.

A prime example of this is when there is a Clarks TSV. In the US you get regular and wide fit, and you get half sizes. Over here the range offered is much smaller - sometimes we get regular and wide (though thanks to Debbies efforts more usually these days you just seem to get wide) but rarely if ever a half size.

Interesting about bra sizing.
Every time I've been measured for a bra in town the back size is too big so I fall out underneath !
I always try and fit myself by buying loads of different sizes from Figleaves, so I can try loads on to get a good fit and send the rest back.
The last bras I bought were Elomi ( made by Fantasie for larger busts) and I decided on a 42FF rather than a 44 because I felt the 44 band was too big as I was falling out underneath. I wore the bra at home for one day and it was fine, so the following day I wore it to work - I couldn't wait to get home and take it off (it got undone in the car) - the band seemed far to tight and was rolling up at the sides, I felt like it was cutting me in half
My problem is that being overweight it's hard to find anything to fit properly, so I back to my stretchy Playtext until I can lose some weight for my new bras to be comfortable.:confused:
I have had a R&P bra once and it was really comfy

Last edited:
Funny you mention Clarks; it was probably QVC that got me looking in their high street shops and website. I hadn't been in Clarks since my children were little. This is probably why the big established brands stay with QVC; they get sales on Q and extra traffic through their doors and to their website.

I find it strange that in USA you can buy larger sized Playtex bras but not in the UK - even though Playtex were based in Scotland (or I thought they were)

Spot on Pick a Lily!

I'd just add - if your boobs escape under your bra - the bra is too big (eg: you're in a 40 when you should be in a 38.

In my opinion and experience, minimiser bras are not great on a fuller bust, unless you like your boobage in your armpits.

Personally for a larger bust I don't believe in minimising at all... I like to get the bras with side support - so Fantasie is a make I rate as they do a number of bra designs with side support (brings your bust away from your sides making you look less broad when looking front-on). At R&P they do a fantastic (but not cheap) make called Bella Donna. Undoubtedly the most comfortable bras I've ever worn... but too rich these days for my wallet. If the bra band is correct for you under-bra, and the cups are the correct size, the weight of your bust is not on the straps so much, so a good fitting bra should reduce the red welt experience.

Full cup all the way for a larger cup size ( less jiggle and more support).

Just imagine what a horror story trying to buy a proper bra from QVC would be?!?! Lots of waffle about a pretty design, limited range of cup sizes (and they would be telling you if your size has gone to go up a back-size or a cup-size). My mind is truely boggling at the thought!

Just to correct myself -the brand is called Primadonna not Bella Donna, in case anyone is trying to search it...

I was channel hopping last night and they had the 6 foot models all wearing PETITE length trousers which looked awful and the brand lady kept on saying well these really are designed for ladies 5 foot 4" and under not these great tall models.
I don't know who I felt more sorry for. They all looked uncomfortable and didn't quite know what to do with themselves.

It was shocking, why put petite trousers on tall models? All about the sales and nothing enticed me at all, Debenhams have a good range and a Sale on! :mysmilie_8:

Latest posts

Back