Are QVC breaking the refund rules under Distance Selling Regs?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The distance selling regulations are very easy to find online.

They were designed so that people can see the goods and have a 'change of mind' as obviously they cannot be seen when buying online and are there to protect the customer.

You have a minimum of 7 working days (not 7 days) to notify the distance seller that you are returning the goods under the rules. (but this is not usually for pierced earrings and customised items are not under the DS rules). This notification must be in writing. Some sellers offer more than 7 working days. They ought to confirm.
You are legally responsible for them when you hold goods and for their safe return, so they cannot be used by you. If they are lost in the post this is down to you so it is up to you whether you pay for insured posting. The distance seller must refund the goods and the postage you paid at the beginning. (Some online sellers ask you to pay for the return postage - this must be stated in their T&C otherwise they need to pay the return postage too).
If items are damaged when they arrive, of course this is refunding under their damage policy not the DS rules.
Also any online seller who implies you pay for special postage because you may be at risk on the delivery, is not correct. They have to send things at their own risk. Special delivery only benefits you if you want it quicker.

I sent back 2 Butler & Wilson necklace and bracelet sets, (which were really horrible when I saw them up close) last week, I had only had them a couple of days. I emailed QVC, told them I was returning them, recorded delivery, and I wanted my P&P refunding, £7.90 as it fell under the DSRs.

I have been refunded, but only the price I paid. Have emailed them and mentioned my previous email and asking for my P&P back. Any danger of me getting my P&P do you think?

I sent back 2 Butler & Wilson necklace and bracelet sets, (which were really horrible when I saw them up close) last week, I had only had them a couple of days. I emailed QVC, told them I was returning them, recorded delivery, and I wanted my P&P refunding, £7.90 as it fell under the DSRs.

I have been refunded, but only the price I paid. Have emailed them and mentioned my previous email and asking for my P&P back. Any danger of me getting my P&P do you think?

Catzrcool, phone 0800514131 and ask for it back. Point out that you cancelled the order under the DSRs.

In my experience - failure to pay p&p has occurred on four occasions - the member of staff will apologise and immediately credit your credit card account.

Good luck Jay

I use the folowing phrase in my email:

"Please confirm that the original P&P will be refunded automatically under the DSR without my having to chase it"

Worked since I started including it in any email cancelling an order under the Regs.

Jude xx

"Please confirm that the original P&P will be refunded automatically under the DSR without my having to chase it"

Worked since I started including it in any email cancelling an order under the Regs.

Jude xx

I must add those five little words, Jude. To date, the Q e-mail contains the p&p; the problem arises when Q confirms that the money has been refunded - the p&p has been absent.

Shall follow your example!:rock: Thanks.

Jay

Shoe shopping?

I was watching the BBC News channel this morning and they were discussing the DSR. The lawyer from Trading Standards was running through the exceptions to the 7 day return rule, such as audio CDs that have been opened, perishable goods etc but also mentioned shoes! Apparently footwear isn't included in the main DSR, though she didn't elaborate to explain why. Since QVC sells shoes and boots (there's an Emu TSV tonight for instance) this might be useful to know.
Does anyone know anything about the shoes exception? I'll have a wander around the web later today but I presume this means that if I order a pair of shoes from a catalogue or QVC, even if I cancel the order and return them within the 7 day time frame, the company isn't required to return my original postage?

Jude xx

Update...it seems the BBC item was slightly misleading in that the limitations re shoes simply requires them to be returned unworn in a condition to be resold, in which case I assume you'd get your p&p back. Sorry for the mis-info

Jude xx

Wish I had found this site sooner

I got 5 pairs of Emu boots between me and my daughter and none of them fitted and I had to pay 5.95 to get them to me and about the same to post them back! I so wish I had known about this DSR. I did buy the slippers and they are great. I was wondering about tonights show but wasnt about to buy again but I might now I know what size to get knowing I can send them back under the DSR if they still arent right. Thanks for the great posts. QVC is a great place to shop but the postage is getting a bit pricey. It is higher than it should be and they do take advantage and we let them. Not anymore!!! :giggle:

Yet again QVC have failed to refund p & p on order cancelled and returned under DSR. I never have this problem with any other company. They do refund when chased but are they hoping that these errors will slip by unnoticed? I too will try including those five words in my emails in future.

They seem to do the trick, those 5 little words! But I hate writing emails in that tone; that assume the recipient is incompitent or unhelpful, Sadly it seems to be the way to get the full refund to which I'm entitled.

QVC, retrain your staff or buck up your ideas if they're deliberately omitting the p&p refund until the customer chases it! :wonder:

The postage refund often comes seperately, which is ok, but it's a pain having to check my CC a/c online every time. Good customer service should remove the need to double check that they're doing their job correctly.

Jude xx

Just seen a thread on moneysavingexpert.com regarding a story yesterday on BBC news, where a BBC investigation has found that many online retailers have been breaking consumer laws by not refunding delivery charges where items are returned.

According to the Distance Selling Regulations:-

"A customer returning goods within seven working days is entitled to a full refund and the initial delivery charge, under the Distance Selling Regulations.

Even if you simply inform a company that you wish to return the goods within the seven working days, you should get a refund of the initial delivery costs.

The law does not cover the cost of returning the unwanted items."

The BBC contacted NEXT who stated that they would be changing their refund policy in August to comply, do you think QVC will follow?

Link here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10560466.stm
I think you will find that the 7 days commence at the point of ordering not when the goods arrive on your doorstep. You have to notify the seller in writing within the seven days of your change of mind and return the goods unopened as soon as they arrive. This legislation first saw the light of day when hard-sell double glazing salesmen were cold-calling and co-ercing householders into signing hard and fast contracts. The 30 days money back guarantee offered by QVC and others is a "grace and favour" offering and the "cooling-off" period allowed in law does not cover it although it may well be covered by contract law

Yes you are :)

The DSR is partly to give you the chance to inspect the goods like you would in a shop :)

Jude xx

Sadly the five little words didn't work for me. Despite their original email including the P&P charges the following email includes only the item cost. I never have this problem with any other company and am totally fed up of constantly having to chase the refund of my money.
Methinks it may be time to contact the CEO on this matter. It is I suppose just a trivial matter, but I am finding it increasingly infuriating to have to send about three emails before I am refunded the correct amount.

I'm definitely going to start emailing them under DSR..I just worked out that in the last 6 months alone I've lost approx £25 in unclaimed postage....I think it's really poor customer service that you have to keep checking and chasing them up for the P&P refund, even after you've emailed them under DSR...

has anyone mentioned the DSR on the QVC FaceBook page? I wonder if QVC would remove it? (surely they can't though, it's what we're entitled to)

I'm definitely going to start emailing them under DSR..I just worked out that in the last 6 months alone I've lost approx £25 in unclaimed postage....I think it's really poor customer service that you have to keep checking and chasing them up for the P&P refund, even after you've emailed them under DSR...

has anyone mentioned the DSR on the QVC FaceBook page? I wonder if QVC would remove it? (surely they can't though, it's what we're entitled to)

That's a good point AngelGab. I'm not a Facebook user but might sign up and do this.

I've run into problems lately with QVC on this. I've had to chase up original emails where I said I would be returning items under DSRs as the P&P wasn't credited. The response was that QVC had no record of my email (I used the 'contact us' format as I couldn't find anything else that was relevant). The QVC response also suggested that I use either email, post or fax (fax number included) to contact QVC regarding returns. Unfortunately I tried the fax number during working hours a couple of times and couldn't get it to answer. I called and told customer care the problem. She said that she'd make a note of it but that I had to do something in writing either by email, fax or post. So I packed up the items I wanted to return, included the fax letter and sent the package off via Recorded Delivery. The returns included 2 moderately priced rings and I didn't trust QVC to say that they weren't sent back.

If QVC is behind in crediting the P&P, ok, simply acknowledge that and go on. If customers are using their rights to send items back under DSR in order to claim back the P&P,then respect that and promptly credit the account. After all on another day, there will be another purchase that will be kept.

I've run into problems lately with QVC on this. I've had to chase up original emails where I said I would be returning items under DSRs as the P&P wasn't credited. The response was that QVC had no record of my email (I used the 'contact us' format as I couldn't find anything else that was relevant). The QVC response also suggested that I use either email, post or fax (fax number included) to contact QVC regarding returns. Unfortunately I tried the fax number during working hours a couple of times and couldn't get it to answer. I called and told customer care the problem. She said that she'd make a note of it but that I had to do something in writing either by email, fax or post. So I packed up the items I wanted to return, included the fax letter and sent the package off via Recorded Delivery. The returns included 2 moderately priced rings and I didn't trust QVC to say that they weren't sent back.

If QVC is behind in crediting the P&P, ok, simply acknowledge that and go on. If customers are using their rights to send items back under DSR in order to claim back the P&P,then respect that and promptly credit the account. After all on another day, there will be another purchase that will be kept.

yeah, I must admit I am sceptical about relying on the "contact us" format as I've sent them a message using that form in the past and never got a response...is there any other way of emailing them directly ?

Latest posts

Back