Are Bid Shopping now worse than Auction World.tv?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The deleted response from mr Mobo combined with gems tv sudden 'free postage' weekend tells me all I need to know about mr mobos true identity and the guilty underhanded cheating tactics at gems tv. They may have good product but they are happy to bend the rules to sell it!

"this is just so reminiscent of the wild flower collection by De Bears" gems tv presenter

Sorry Mr Mobo. Yet another example of GEMS TV using brands to sell their products. Totally in breach of the ASA code. My 8th complaint in less than 30 minutes. I am wondering how long it will take me to get past BID TV's 30? At this rate less than a week lol.

I think your posts belong on the Gems TV section of ST bingowings. I'm glad you bothered to complain to the ASA about Gems in the end and I'm glad the forum members here complained about Bid as they are now being looked at by OFCOM and not before time.

Maybe the Gems TV forum members would join you in cleaning their act up too, if needs be.

I think your posts belong on the Gems TV section of ST bingowings. I'm glad you bothered to complain to the ASA about Gems in the end and I'm glad the forum members here complained about Bid as they are now being looked at by OFCOM and not before time.

Maybe the Gems TV forum members would join you in cleaning their act up too, if needs be.

Hi mommabear
Yes. I agree with you the posts should be on the gems forum. My initial point got a little lost with a 'point proving' mission. Unfortunately hardly anyone posts on the gems forum. Probably why they are getting away with murder! Nobody is policing them like you are policing bid! anyway. My point is simply this. BID are no longer the 'worst'

I would argue with you but I have read your previous posts and it seems pretty obvious your knowledge of gems. Tv combined with your biased defence of their tactics suggests only one thing. So. I watched for 15 minutes and as a consequence have lodged 5 complaints with the ASA. All of which I feel confident will be upheld.

For example.
Onscreen graphics state everything under £30. Presenter states everything is under £30. Colour change
Florite is sold at 29.99. With postage charge this is £32.98. The customer challenges that the promotion is misleading as the delivery cost was not mentioned or factored in.

A complain against bid was upheld for EXACTLY this. If BID did this there would be uproar!

Presenter Adina states ' the price of this is incompatible. You will never see a deal like this again' really? Can you substantiate that comment? That I will NEVER see a deal like that again?

Presenter claims ' people in the trade are buying. We are going to have to limit you to 2 per person' I called and no such limit was in place!

Can you imagine if BID did this????? And in 15 minutes of watching!

Please show me a ASA upheld complaint to ANY company that was because they stated every item would be under a certain price.... but it wasn't because they didn't add on the P&P. If this was enforced Bid & PD would have hundreds of ASA complaints against them. Pretty much every channel has presenters saying... "I'm going to take this item under...." that hardly ever includes the P&P and phone call cost which usually pushes it over the initial promise.... which is exactly the same as your talking about.

Gems usually limit your order when it comes to processing it. Let me know when you receive more than the stated item limit, chances are you won't..... even so you shouldn't make an ASA complaint about this until you received the order.

As for the "Never see a deal like this again".... your meant to make a complaint to the ASA when you actually see a "deal like that again".

No offense, but your clutching at straws as they haven't done anything wrong. No joke if your "Price will be under £30... but the P&P pushes it over said amount" complaint is upheld (which it won't be) I & others will have a field day at a certain shopping channels expense lol.

I don't want to get into this argument about brand comparison so this is just an observation. Some time ago, Dirty Peter was selling one of those crap battery operated table fountains. The ones you can find any day in charity shops for £1 as regularly as the Moira C trousers. He was coming out with a load of cobblers but the assistant with him trumped his rubbish magnificently. When he said you could use it to meditate and relax she said it reminded her of the Trevi Fountain in Rome. Which is, by the way, one of the most beautiful features in a beautiful city and to compare the two was like comparing a Rolex Oyster to one of the cheapo watches bid sells.

The deleted response from mr Mobo combined with gems tv sudden 'free postage' weekend tells me all I need to know about mr mobos true identity and the guilty underhanded cheating tactics at gems tv. They may have good product but they are happy to bend the rules to sell it!

I deleted my response as I emailed Gems to get an answer. Its always nice to add a bit of credibility to posts when you have the facts to back your case up and your post
Questioning my identity shows a lack of respect & manners, its obvious you would take the personal route as your posts are totally without credence in regard to the ASA regulations.

I don't want to get into this argument about brand comparison so this is just an observation. Some time ago, Dirty Peter was selling one of those crap battery operated table fountains. The ones you can find any day in charity shops for £1 as regularly as the Moira C trousers. He was coming out with a load of cobblers but the assistant with him trumped his rubbish magnificently. When he said you could use it to meditate and relax she said it reminded her of the Trevi Fountain in Rome. Which is, by the way, one of the most beautiful features in a beautiful city and to compare the two was like comparing a Rolex Oyster to one of the cheapo watches bid sells.

I agree, Peter does it very often when he gets carried away. The rule is that your allowed to mention other brands & trademarks to distinguish your own, that's why Peter is always like "This is not a ..... I repeat this is not a.....".
The times Gems mentioned another brand that Bingo is on about they went on to talk about the difference... yet he/she didn't add that part.

Bingo needs to have a look at the actual regulations as they are a bit of a grey area but that are quite clear in regard to her/his ASA complaints which imo won't be upheld. Its like when you see supermarkets comparing prices on TV adverts, they obviously mention "other brands" when they compare how many products they had cheaper than selected rivals this week.

Mentioning other brands or trademarks aren't against regulations, its not as clean cut as that. Hopefully the ASA will address Bingos complaints & correct her/him for future reference.

I deleted my response as I emailed Gems to get an answer. Its always nice to add a bit of credibility to posts when you have the facts to back your case up and your post
Questioning my identity shows a lack of respect & manners, its obvious you would take the personal route as your posts are totally without credence in regard to the ASA regulations.

Yesterday you claimed GEMS TV NEVER refered to other brands. today you claim its just not a problem. make your mind up.

from the ASA website

3.42 Advertisements must not discredit or denigrate another product, advertiser or advertisement or a trade mark, trade name or other distinguishing mark. GUILTY

3.43 Advertisements must not take unfair advantage of the reputation of a competitor’s trade mark, trade name or other distinguishing mark or of the designation of origin of a competitor product or service. GUILTY

they dont seem to think it is a grey area. in fact they seem to think its pretty black and white.

Yesterday you claimed GEMS TV NEVER refered to other brands. today you claim its just not a problem. make your mind up.

from the ASA website

3.42 Advertisements must not discredit or denigrate another product, advertiser or advertisement or a trade mark, trade name or other distinguishing mark. GUILTY

3.43 Advertisements must not take unfair advantage of the reputation of a competitor’s trade mark, trade name or other distinguishing mark or of the designation of origin of a competitor product or service. GUILTY

they dont seem to think it is a grey area. in fact they seem to think its pretty black and white.

I honestly feel we are going round in circles simply because you don't understand that ASA regulations. I think I may make a thread to help people unsure on how to interpret the guild lines so they can make the correct decision to report an offending channel to the ASA.

Please tell me how Gems have discredited or denigrated another brand?

Please tell me how Gems have taken unfair advantage of another competitors brand?

Your allowed to use another brand or trademark to help distinguish your own, so your allowed to mention another brand or trademark IF you also use that information to distinguish your own item you are selling.... which both Bid & Gems do, its not against the regulations & that's why neither have been punished for it.

Please, please, please just ask for the interpretations of guild lines if you aren't sure as your actions on here may have a knock on effect to other posters who think the channels are doing something wrong & they too may make unfair complaints as they have misinterpreted the rules too.

I'll ask you one question to try help you clarify the situation, you see many people reporting Bid to the ASA on here... why do you think certain Bid presenters continue to mention other Brands (such as Peter with her perfumes or the other Peter with the "This is not a ..... I repeat this is not a....." speeches and they don't get reprimanded for it? Just as Gems don't nor any other shopping channel.

Sorry can't edit my last post so I will add this link here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advertising

Have a read of the UK section, I think it is a good read & clarifies the use of other(rival) brands & trademarks within advertisements and broadcasting. It is important to distinguish comparative advertising & basic inspiration of products & services.

Last edited:
I think the difference between bid and other shopping channels is (and this most but not all) combined P&P and phone call total under a fiver whereas bid's are just shy of a tenner. Much bigger factor so should be mentioned more.

PJ

I noticed while watching a bit of Gems tv that their postage is £2.95 PER DAY

Wow

Yep and the phone number is 0845 which is free on many providers, sometimes you get greedy people trying to take advantage (or trade buyers) so they limit your order to 2 or 3 depending on their quantity such as today with the silver & black diamond rings that went for £7.99 - I think it was this one: http://www.gems.tv/Jewellery/1/10ct-Black-Diamond-Sterling-Silver-Ring-/Design-DHKS40.aspx

Sometimes if you are thinking of buying a high end item (maybe £200+) you can haggle the price down I hear, I am trying to build up the courage to do it when the next Csarite ring comes on as I'd like to buy one for my better half for christmas. I'm so bad at negotiating discounts :sweat:

Yep and the phone number is 0845 which is free on many providers, sometimes you get greedy people trying to take advantage (or trade buyers) so they limit your order to 2 or 3 depending on their quantity such as today with the silver & black diamond rings that went for £7.99 - I think it was this one: http://www.gems.tv/Jewellery/1/10ct-Black-Diamond-Sterling-Silver-Ring-/Design-DHKS40.aspx

Sometimes if you are thinking of buying a high end item (maybe £200+) you can haggle the price down I hear, I am trying to build up the courage to do it when the next Csarite ring comes on as I'd like to buy one for my better half for christmas. I'm so bad at negotiating discounts :sweat:

Try it MrM, if you don't ask, you don't get

I think one major difference between Sit-Up and Auction World is AW suffered from terrible order fulfillment issues.

Far be it from me to defend Sit Up but I believe their delivery service is very good, then again at those prices it should be. However, whether you'll be happy with the products when they arrive is a different matter!

The proud '90%+ recommendation rate' they used to claim seems to have long since bitten the dust.

Latest posts

Back