Alexis, Loccitane, memory ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PMSL Love this thread. My mum used to use Anne French and my nan used Yardley talc. I did love Pears - it was a real treat. I'd spend ages in the bathroom foaming up the Camay like the advert too. Mum also used to use Miners mascara - the stuff you had to spit on! Meanwhile, I was buying out boots no 7. Mum also had a craze for American Tan tights - yuk! At school it was choccy brown tights for me, from superdrug with white ankle socks on top :cheeky:

I'm sure I managed to burn my face with TCP once when I was so fed up of spots. :sad:
That clearasil stuff was awful too - it used to render me worse than if i didn't bother!

Vosene, I loved that....and silvikrin I think it was with the advert where she was under the water wheel - I used to go on hols to the very same spot where it was filmed. Hairspray like glue (until I grew up all soffisticut like and progressed onto Elnett)....memories! :clapping:

Last edited:
was the apricot scrub aapri?? didn't they bring out some little pad things too like brillo pads?

oooo youth dew........loved it......

i also remember the first ads for timotei - all that floating around in sun filled meadows.

i remember vosene but still have worse memories of loxene. was vitapointe the first conditioner?

I remember using something called Ten O Six for spots which could have also been used for cleaning paint brushes.

Then there was Clairmist, a can of spray on shine for the hair.

Then came the first range of fake tanning products - Quick Tan was one of the first. Turned your skin bright orange and left a putrid smell on it that seemed to last as long as the colour itself.

Youth Dew is consider one of the great classics and still sells shed loads every year.

Ten O Six was Bonne Bell a US brand and yes you strip paint of walls with it.

I remember Tanfastatic which according to my granny made me yellow, bright orange hands as well. This could be the reason I am allergic to fake tan now.

Ah yes, aapri - nearly took my skin off with that. Oh and I loved Creme Silk conditioner, it was the only thing that smoothed my crazy bushy hair then!

And there were those linco-beer shampoo sachets, and my mum used to use Amami (sp?) setting lotion with her rollers and her hair used to go rock hard!! Although she did get me into Elnett which I still use now. I loved watching her put her makeup on, especially the block mascara in a green box, can't remember what it was called.

When I was really grown up in the early 80s I bought some Estee Lauder eye gel stuff with some sort of pearly 'spheres' in coloured gel, it was the first hi-tec posh skin stuff I got, I've no idea what those bits did, nothing I suspect!!

I also used that tanfastic stuff too and now I'm allergic to every fake tan now.

Oh I also used to use the Estee Lauder eyegel - I think it was called Eye Zone. I have very good skin round my eyes so it must have done something. I also used to use Clinique Turnaround cream as one of my first 'presteeegious' brands.

Hi, I am so pleased everybody is enjoying my thread. I have just turned 43 so I take it everybody else is a similar age. Funny what things we all remember, one thing just seems to trigger another (none of which would normally have entered our head without the triggers on a normal daily basis). Shows how clever the human brain is ..

I used Aapri facial scrub too, you could have cleaned the pans with it it was that rough, yet we all believed and swore by the ads didn't we and yes Timotei was lovely, strange that I never had the romantic meadowy experience when sitting on the bus going to work lol. And did anybody ever have a man chase them down the road cause they were wafted in Impulse.

Somehow I don't think we will all remember half of QVC beauty ranges in years to come with such fondness and humour. I still don't think all these cheapies did us any harm at all, my skin even survived the Dettol astringent burn fiasco I decided to instill on myself. Infact I had placed an order for Elemis Milk Bath as it was on easy pay, bubbles with a hand cream, but I have come to my senses and thought that I cannot justify £45 as a standard range cheapy will work just as well. Admittedly it was the 3 x EP that hooked me, but it still adds up the same. Not cancelled my Yankee Candles though ;o) they are mine from Santa!!!

Hi, I am so pleased everybody is enjoying my thread. I have just turned 43 so I take it everybody else is a similar age. Funny what things we all remember, one thing just seems to trigger another (none of which would normally have entered our head without the triggers on a normal daily basis). Shows how clever the human brain is ..

I used Aapri facial scrub too, you could have cleaned the pans with it it was that rough, yet we all believed and swore by the ads didn't we and yes Timotei was lovely, strange that I never had the romantic meadowy experience when sitting on the bus going to work lol. And did anybody ever have a man chase them down the road cause they were wafted in Impulse.
Somehow I don't think we will all remember half of QVC beauty ranges in years to come with such fondness and humour. I still don't think all these cheapies did us any harm at all, my skin even survived the Dettol astringent burn fiasco I decided to instill on myself. Infact I had placed an order for Elemis Milk Bath as it was on easy pay, bubbles with a hand cream, but I have come to my senses and thought that I cannot justify £45 as a standard range cheapy will work just as well. Admittedly it was the 3 x EP that hooked me, but it still adds up the same. Not cancelled my Yankee Candles though ;o) they are mine from Santa!!!

spooky - wow!! that just brought back another memory! believe it or not, i did!! i'm 59 now and i was on a night out with a friend (who still reminds me of it periodically). it was post divorce so i would have been early thirties. we had just left one nightclub and were on our way back to my car which was parked on the pier, to drive to another. to our astonishment this guy came chasing after us holding out flowers and we ran like mad right down the pier! but it soon seemed from his protestations that he meant no harm so we stopped. he came up to me with the flowers (a few wild flowers) thrust them at me and said 'your hair! your hair! and your perfume!! - i had to give you these flowers!!' he was sober and not at all threatening. i stood there with my mouth open and he just walked off. funny thing was, he was in the next club and totally ignored me. lol!! my friend said 'i love going out with you - something weird always happens!' lol!!

It's a shame we didn't have Yankee Candles during the 1973 power cuts when we had to make do with plain old ordinary ones, bought from the local chandlers and night lights (rebranded as tea lights today).

It's a shame we didn't have Yankee Candles during the 1973 power cuts when we had to make do with plain old ordinary ones, bought from the local chandlers and night lights (rebranded as tea lights today).

I remember the power cuts, a couple of years later, when we were put on a 'so many hours off at a given time' schedule. At least you got some warning so the candles were ready to hand. I tried to be clever and save money and so made my own candles with a kit I'd bought. I made them in washed out cat food tins and was quite proud of my efforts.

However ......... the first time I lit a couple of them, during the power cuts, I realised the error of my ways. Yes, they gave out sufficient light but, when the power came back on, I had massive soot marks all over the wall and no amount of washing it down with Flash got rid of it. So the money I saved on candles was spent on a tin of emulsion paint.

Funnily enough, I've not made candles since. :thinking:

Yeah I also remember being a little girl and going with my mum once a week to the corner shop and refilling our paraffin heater. It was pink panther paraffin and smelt horrible. Mum would carry it home and then try and light the heater several times so the house always stunk, definitely needed a bit of Yankee Candle for air freshness then. LOL. Bet paraffin heaters were struck off years ago ..

i remember in the power cuts my mum cooking on mine lol. we used to go to a machine and it would fill it up. health and safety was out of the window in those days..

I'd somehow completely erased paraffin heaters from my memory - now I can even recall the smell from them. We progressed to a calor gas heater, on wheels prior to eventually moving to a house with central heating around about 1977.

I'm showing my age (53) but I did start using makeup at 13, anyone remember Velouty powder cream, I used the pink shade as blusher.

I remember velouty,my very first foundation was called angel face nothing on and it had Twiggy on the front of the box, it was sold in Woolies. I had evette lipstick and miners mascara,I was fifteen.

Latest posts

Back