Alexis, Loccitane, memory ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brilliant thread, absolutely brilliant! Been off for a few days and came back to this - has had me chuckling away to myself. Definitely remember the Wright's coal tar soap and the reddy/pink Lifebuoy! Loved the creaminess of all the fancy ones - Camay, Lux, etc. Defo remember Kiku - I found a huge dusting powder thing of that a few years ago.

God, we were all so easily pleased in those days, and yes, there was a snobbery about products back then!

Ooooh, I remember Aqua Manda as well, I thought I was soooo posh wearing it. Smelt of oranges I think.

when you look at the likes of the Desperate Scousewives and the Towie crowd with their thick, trowelled on orange-ness and chip fat lips, we haven't come that far at all have we?!!

I remember Miners was the name in liquid eyeliners and my sister had the mascara you had to spit in. My mum had Coty L'Aimant in a little ceramic bottle which was like a cream perfume. I had Pretty Peach from Avon, then graduated to Timeless, Elegance and Occur! Oh and my fave was Foxfire. Then Panache for 'going out' and yes, I had Charlie but I'm sure I never really liked it much. My middle sis that I shared a room with used Gingham by Innoxa (?) and Civet by Houbigant. I remember my older sis getting Xanadu for her 21st, in a purple dome with a matching powder puff. I can't remember how old I was when I discovered the Guerlain counter and never looked back!! But I went via the Body Shop White Musk - didn't we all?!! Gosh this is entertaining!! i wonder how many of today's will be remembered so fondly?

Mum always used Yardley's Sea Jade talc and I remember being given Bromley's Lemon soap which looked like a real lemon. Must have been quite young 'cos I couldn't wait to get in the bath and try it. Result? Sore red skin and the beginning of a lifelong friendship with contact dermatitus...

We used to wear it as lipstick... :mysmilie_516:

There was also a craze in my school for girls to wear Brut. Eeeek.:emo:

the male one that was the in thing for girls that i remember, was eau sauvage

Oh Aquamanda no doubt the reason I hate the smell of orange in anything now. I used to drown myself in the stuff at school. I remember the Sea Jade talc, I got it bought to me for christmas. My fav was Coty Wild Musk Oil(not the spray stuff), infact a friend got me a bottle from the US some years back. I prefered Tigress to Kiku. Then Cachet which was suppose to smell different on every woman. I used to dab on my big brother's Old Spice going to school. LOL

You can find these old perfumes on ebay and Avon ones as well.

I remember Miners and Maxi the younger version of Max Factor stuff. Rimmel used to make this mascara which took paint stripper to remove, brilliant stuff it was too.

when you look at the likes of the Desperate Scousewives and the Towie crowd with their thick, trowelled on orange-ness and chip fat lips, we haven't come that far at all have we?!!

I remember Miners was the name in liquid eyeliners and my sister had the mascara you had to spit in. My mum had Coty L'Aimant in a little ceramic bottle which was like a cream perfume. I had Pretty Peach from Avon, then graduated to Timeless, Elegance and Occur! Oh and my fave was Foxfire. Then Panache for 'going out' and yes, I had Charlie but I'm sure I never really liked it much. My middle sis that I shared a room with used Gingham by Innoxa (?) and Civet by Houbigant. I remember my older sis getting Xanadu for her 21st, in a purple dome with a matching powder puff. I can't remember how old I was when I discovered the Guerlain counter and never looked back!! But I went via the Body Shop White Musk - didn't we all?!! Gosh this is entertaining!! i wonder how many of today's will be remembered so fondly?

Civet??? Ha ha, is that not a type of cat? I probably do smell of cats now, middle-aged woman with feline living alone!

I remember L'aimant cream perfume, I really liked it for ages. I too wasn't keen on Charlie but loved my Smitty....smitty did it!! If nobody else remembers that advert you'll think I'm slightly mad!!

Ah, 'Smitty' - the ad campaign was 'When you're feeling so free, everyone can see, Smitty did It' and they gave away a badge with that slogan 'Smitty Did It' with each bottle sold. I remember seeing a woman, who's surname must have been Smith, with the badge pinned to the coller of her maternity coat.

Last edited:
I loved Coty wild musk but can't find it in shops,don't want to chance an old bottle off e-bay because you don't know what you are getting in terms of quality. Donna,is there a perfume you can get that smells like it ? I also remember smitty,rapport,geminesse,primitif electrique,and my fav hypnotique,Max Factor made some fab perfumes wish we could still get them.

Civet??? Ha ha, is that not a type of cat? I probably do smell of cats now, middle-aged woman with feline living alone!

I remember L'aimant cream perfume, I really liked it for ages. I too wasn't keen on Charlie but loved my Smitty....smitty did it!! If nobody else remembers that advert you'll think I'm slightly mad!!

Civet though called a cat is not actually one. All civet now is synthetic(good thing too), is was extracted from the anal glads of the civet.

what about men's stuff? "and he wears Denimmm" in a low growl....

And Hai Karate! With gorgeous Valerie Leon in the ad. And Old Spice - still available. Tabac Original, Monsieur Houbligant, and of course Cossack hairspray!

The Denim ad featured a bloke in a washed out denim shirt, you only saw his chin down to his chest. Then a woman's hand came from around the back of him and pulled the poppers on his shirt open revealing more of his very hairy chest. I always used to think "you lucky cow".

hai karate!! how could i forget that!

and of course brut - ain't that right 'arry?

What was the peach face scrub that became popular mid 80's? Felt like you were scrubbing your face with a pumice stone...
My nan always used to buy me Bromley at christmas and I never really liked it because it smelt too old for me at the time.

I think you can still get White Grass in Lloyds chemist. My fave was Giorgio Ocean Dreams. I used to stink of the stuff!

I'm guessing that most of you are in your late 40's / early 50's ? .

One of my Mum's friends gave me a present last week - set of 4 body sprays in diff Charlie "fragrances". It's gone into the charity box.

I have so many memories of the 1960's, this thread is making me very nostalgic !

Does anyone remember the bottles of perfume by Rimmel that you could find in Woolies - they were small glass tubes with white or gold screw tops and all named after flowers - my faves were honeysuckle and "muguet" . I never bought one but used to spend ages smelling them all at the counter.

Mum used to have a small bottle of Evening In Paris perfume on her dressing table, in a lovely dark blue glass bottle.

The first hair conditioners were called creme rinses, and I used them after Vosene shampoo which used to strip every bit of oil from hair and scalp ! Mum used to perm her hair with Plix, I always remember the curlers were made of hard pink plastic and the perm solution used to stink the house out with ammonia fumes !

When I was 15 and at a girl's grammar school we all went through a phase of wearing Mary Quant's Brazen Bronze shade of nail varnish and Oak shade of Biba lipstick. Metal nail files that made your teeth vibrate, and pulling chunks off rolls of cotton wool because cotton wool pads hadn't been invented.

Linda xx

Latest posts

Back