Advice on manicure please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ALWAYSSKINT

Registered Shopper
Hi all i am having trouble with keeping colour on my nails without it peeling,chipping ect even after just one day i have a full time job and normal house hold chores to deal with everyday so why cant i have the fortnight of glam on my nails as all the brands on qvc say that is how long they could last for.Or does this apply to people with false nails only. I have tried them all and in all different combinations but nothing seems to work. I had opi base coat followed by L.Denny colour this exmas eve and i am typing this with patch work fingers. Any tips would be great to help me please xx

Hope you all had a nice time over the last few days xx

I have exactly the same problem and have used OPI, Jessica, Leighton Denny etc. The only brand I've had better staying power from is Mavala, and I notice it's toluene and formaldehyde free so maybe that's the key as the other brands aren't. I still get peeling and/or chipping after a couple of days win Mavala though. Maybe it's to do with the shape of the nail or excessive dryness ( I get vey dry skin, eyes etc due to an underlying medical condition). I don't have the answer I'm afraid other than having sympathy with you. I too would love nail colour to last a week or two, instead of peeling off, chipping or wearing off at the tips after a day.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

You need to have the Shellac UV Nail treatment. I had a shellac french manicure and it lasted a month. You can have coloured nail polish shellac too. The only downside is you can't use ordinary nail polish remover, you have to use special pads I think, or you can have it removed when you go for another manicure. I just ended up letting mine grow out in the end as it didn't really show being a french manicure.

Last edited:
Here's a guide:
http://shellacnailscnd.com/

If anyone lives near Bournemouth, there's a brilliant shellac nail manicurist at the Littledown leisure centre and very good value too. That's where I had mine done and to be honest, I'd go there especially again just for a manicure!

What I don't understand is why this hasn't reached QVC yet because you can do it yourself, but you need a UV thing. It's been around for a while now.

Last edited:
I had that done for a special occasion. Within a week, one nail had split and became loose! Needless to say as I was going on a 3 week holiday with it I was not impressed! Ended up (and I know this is wrong) just pulling it off. I could just ease them off and then just put nail envy on to treat them after.

I've been told that the most likely reason for nail polis easily chipping or peeling is either very dry or very oily nails. I can only ever keep a polish looking good for three days possibly four no matter what polish/basecoat/topcoat combination I use. Even Shellac on me wouldn't last for more than 10 days. And I found Shellac ruined my natural nails. Took me a few weeks to be able to grown them again after stopping using it.

Even glitter polish chips on day three and that's often quoted as lasting longer than regular polish. Well not me it doesn't.

Fortunately I can keep polish on my toes for a couple of weeks.

I know it doesn't help as such but I just accept my fate. I use whatever polish colour I want with Seche Vite as a top coat and accept that it'll be off by day four. For the most part I have my nails au naturel. Fortunately I have very white tips so even with just clear polish it looks like a French manicure.

I'm the same as you, ALWAYSSKINT. Could never get a manicure to last longer than a day at most without chipping (I tell myself that this is because I am not in a QVC Ivory Tower and that I actually do housework and wash my hands :grin: ). I've tried all the brands with little or no success - the last year or so I moved onto ESSIE polishes, mainly their 3 in 1 top and base coat though, and I have seen a marked improvement in the length of time my manicure lasts. It seems to work with all the brands, I painted my nails Sunday night using said base/top coat - we're now at Tuesday morning and not a chip/peel yet - and I've cooked, washed up, washed hands, bathed quite a few times...still there...

I also go for the shellac option for my holidays, usually a French!

If you buy acetone from the chemist that removes the shellac you have to soak for about 20 minutes though

None of the QVC brands stays on me for longer than a few hours without chipping. Base coats and top coats make no difference. Boots No.7 seems to stay for about a day but then starts to go south.

Nothing lasts on me anymore than a few days, OPI lasts the best and then Nails Inc, Leighton Denny is the worst, just peels right off. On my toes polish will last 2-3 weeks thought.

Same for me. Seems to depend on the colour, paler lasts longer on me than dark shades, every brand chips or peels, nails inc more than most on me, OPI & Leighton Denny bit better. Found Orly works best, with no nasties in it I think. I have very dry ridged nails though and have to use a lot of oils so wonder if that affects things. Obviously I clean the oil off the nail before I put colour on but I'm lucky if I get through 2 days without chipping or peeling. Shellac only lasted on me for about 10 days but 3 had chipped quite badly by then and I thought it damaged my nails even though the technician assured me it actually protected the nail?

I found shellac protected my nails and none of them chipped at all. Normally when my nails start to get long, they go and break near the quick and I have to cut them short but with the shellac, they grew really long and everyone was saying what lovely nails I had. As I had a french manicure, I just filed them down a bit when the white bit grew off and then painted clear over the top.

Not sure what MissKat is saying about pulling nails off unless you had false ones? I'd say if they failed it's possibly more to do with it being an extension than the shellac?

I found shellac protected my nails and none of them chipped at all. Normally when my nails start to get long, they go and break near the quick and I have to cut them short but with the shellac, they grew really long and everyone was saying what lovely nails I had. As I had a french manicure, I just filed them down a bit when the white bit grew off and then painted clear over the top.

Not sure what MissKat is saying about pulling nails off unless you had false ones? I'd say if they failed it's possibly more to do with it being an extension than the shellac?

Unless they were gel nails

Like everything else I think Shellac suits some and not others. My nails are natural but often mistaken for false nails because they're so long. They do break but not very often. When I had the Shellac I didn't break a nail but it was after the Shellac was removed I had real problems and my nails were weak and split easily. I struggled to grow them to any length at all. Now a year on I'm back to normal although I broke a nail on Boxing so I've cut them all down but give me a couple of weeks I'll have a full set of mega talons.

I know other people love Shellac and it's lasts for ages without damaging the nails. Just my luck.

Mind you no matter how long my ****** nails are I still can't keep polish on them!

Like everything else I think Shellac suits some and not others. My nails are natural but often mistaken for false nails because they're so long. They do break but not very often. When I had the Shellac I didn't break a nail but it was after the Shellac was removed I had real problems and my nails were weak and split easily. I struggled to grow them to any length at all. Now a year on I'm back to normal although I broke a nail on Boxing so I've cut them all down but give me a couple of weeks I'll have a full set of mega talons.

I know other people love Shellac and it's lasts for ages without damaging the nails. Just my luck.

Mind you no matter how long my ****** nails are I still can't keep polish on them!

hope that was boxing DAY tinkerbelle and not xmas frustration ;)

Essie are a brilliant brand, I prefer them over OPI etc. They are also Tor and Flo free.

I agree totally. Absolutely love Essie polishes. They are the only ones that ever last on my nails. My favourite is Wicked, a lovely dark wine red.

I only use OPI and do my nails sunday night for the week.

I always use 2/3 coats of nail envy first and then 2/3 coats of polish.It takes a long time as I let every coat dry thoroughly before applying another.

I finish off with another top coat of nail envy.

I find it lasts till friday - poss begining to chip over the weekend.I find if I know I'm having a "heavy" week,I do a coat of an OPI glitter over the final top,just to make it rock hard.

I don't rate leighton denny nor nails inc at all - although I love nails inc colours and would use their colours for special occassions or if I know I don't mind doing my nails in another couple of days.I did go through a stage of thinking I'd found a real steal in my local pharmacy in mavala - but find that chips in two days as well.

And I don't have false nails btw

Hi all i am having trouble with keeping colour on my nails without it peeling,chipping ect even after just one day i have a full time job and normal house hold chores to deal with everyday so why cant i have the fortnight of glam on my nails as all the brands on qvc say that is how long they could last for.Or does this apply to people with false nails only. I have tried them all and in all different combinations but nothing seems to work. I had opi base coat followed by L.Denny colour this exmas eve and i am typing this with patch work fingers. Any tips would be great to help me please xx

Hope you all had a nice time over the last few days xx

Try using rubber gloves when doing washing up etc.

Latest posts

Back