2012 is the year...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I finally found my perfect concoction last year in the form of Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich. Having oily skin, I always cowered away from anything resembling extra moisture in the description, however was advised by a very gorgeous girlie in John Lewis so gave it a go! It mattifies my shine, somehow, and gives me a really nice coverage without being too much. It also gives me that etheral glow, but not as much as the Liz Earle team - it hasn't transformed me into a hippy yuppy earth mother :p I don't need a powder over the top either, which is a bonus.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

I finally found my perfect concoction last year in the form of Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich. Having oily skin, I always cowered away from anything resembling extra moisture in the description, however was advised by a very gorgeous girlie in John Lewis so gave it a go! It mattifies my shine, somehow, and gives me a really nice coverage without being too much. It also gives me that etheral glow, but not as much as the Liz Earle team - it hasn't transformed me into a hippy yuppy earth mother :p I don't need a powder over the top either, which is a bonus.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Totally agree about the Bobbi Brown foundation and I have a completely different skin type. (dry & mature). It gives a lovely glow and skin looks moisturised but not greasy. Also I recently bought the Laura Mercier illuminated tinted moisturiser which is brilliant, although the price brought me out in a cold sweat! Having dry skin, a matt finish is the absolute enemy and I avoid it like the plague. I have Laura Geller B & B, but it does sit in lines and gives a powdery finish (another enemy), no matter what Laura says, it doesn't work for me. I have also tried BE in a department store and when the girl had finished applying it, I had morphed into my 71 year old mother! Disaster!!

I think I have found the perfect foundation for me. It is Revlon photo ready. But I do put BE medium beige on over the top to make it extra flawless, if you know what I mean!! I like to use a liquid foundation first though. I don't know why. I think it gives a better finish. The the rest of my make up tends to be either mineral based or Laura Geller (I love her highlighter and blusher thingy - it was in a TSV about two years ago maybe. I don't feel the need to change my foundation now and hope I will save money from this. I have yet to find the perfect mascara but do like Mally's! Good luck with your quest. I am 45 now, so it has taken me a long time to sort my make up out!! P.s. sorry to say, that QVC has helped me to understand make up more, so they have been really good for that.

Totally agree with you Breeze about lots of ranges not having a pale enough shade, I used to get one from Prescriptives years ago (they don't operate any more sadly) which was really good, I think they were the best.

I know what you mean Linda about the 30 day mbg, but I can't think of a foundation on QVC that seems likely to be the perfect one for you. Pester the counter staff for samples! I used to work on one of the counters and they can produce them if they're in the right mood! I think liquid foundations are good, and for the pores maybe a pore minimiser before (have heard good reports of Clinique ones). I did get some Laura Geller Welcome matt which is like a gel (it came in a pack with blusher etc) that has been good for nose area.

For non greasy hand cream I love Neutrogena, it takes a short time but then it is gone, no film.

Hi Eric's Mum

I too have a load of not-even-half-used bottles of foundation in my drawer! Some from QVC & some not. My skin is quite problematic / oily and over the past few years I've discovered liquid foundations don't seem to suit as well as they did. Also I have really pale skin with blue/red undertones - which only Prescriptives could match properly! I had found the Smashbox powder foundation with the dial quite good in the Fair shade & recently got the Laura Geller B&B in Porcelain a few months back - it's the first one that's actually a good colour match & I don't find it settles in the pores too much. I'm trying out Missha blemish balm (saw it recommended on another thread) - the matte one in Milky Beige - with the porcelain B&B and I really like the neopolitan blush/highlighter that was in the previous LG TSV.

What I really need is a primer that actually works - have tried all on QVC I think plus some others - and doesn't feel greasy on an oily skin. The Missha may work out ok in the long term, certainly was v cheap on eBay at under £5 for 20ml, consistency is quite a thick liquid, but just in case it doesn't any suggestions are greatfully received. And a 'setting powder' that doesn't undo all the camouflage above by showing up the valleys & craters!

Totally agree with you Breeze about lots of ranges not having a pale enough shade...

Ladies, Estee Lauder, Double Wear, my Holy Grail foundation comes in IC1 Shell. This is for the very pale with pink undertones. There are equivalent shades for neutral and yellow undertone skin but this is the palest thing I have found in a standard range. I was introduced to this by someone with rosacea as it covers completely and stays put. Make sure the shop assistant is awake and doesn't give you Shell Beige by mistake. All Lauder counters will give you a sample that is good for at least 4 full applications.

I'd recommend this to anyone. It can be applied thinly or built up for industrial coverage and doesn't need a powder to set athough to me it is a bit too dewy.

Top it off with a colour free HD loose powder (very finely milled and absoutely no colour change). Don't be put off by the fact it looks like talc.

Thanks for that Lisle, I'll be checking it out.

Top it off with a colour free HD loose powder (very finely milled and absoutely no colour change). Don't be put off by the fact it looks like talc.

Can you tell me what HD stands for ?

Thanks

Foundation is such a personal choice, what works for me may not work for you. But as someone with 38 year old skin that has been dry and very sensitive in the past, my reccommendation would be Laura gellar balance and brighten with the spackle underneath, makes a huge difference, and also bobbi brown foundations. Their range of textures and colours is extensive, expensive but you get what you pay for. My choice is the foundation stick in warm sand, as I have dark blonde hair and would be a "light" in most of QVC's brands. With bobbi brown you just apply it where you need it rather than caking the whole face.
For me 2012 is when I treasure the remaining 6 months of my maternity leave, stop buying from qvc unless I have run out of something I genuinely use, or it is next Christmas and I can split TSV's into gifts. Me and hubby will stick to a strict budget and take sandwiches to work rather than buying them. It's incredible how much money you can save doing that!
Of course the best way to save cash on qvc is not to watch it, but I have the "app" which has made my addiction worse! Trouble is I enjoy watching it sometimes. I did a practice run the other day when I successfully resisted the urge to get those northern nights towells. I told myself, if I went to John Lewis now I may want to go to the bobbi brown counter or the liz Earle stuff. However I would not be looking to buy towells. Therein lies the rub... That's the problem with qvc. It draws you in to buying towells when you probably have perfectly good ones in your airing cupboard already!

Dior flawless finish extreme wear compact foundation is excellent, not heavy and cakey and gives a lovely smooth finish that doesn't sit in pores,also has spf. I've not tried any qvc ones as can't imagine they are better than this.

I like the idea of a foundation, but hate flatness of it. Might sound an odd thing, but that flat, matt canvas does nothing to encourage me to use it.
Going against the flow again here, but I just like moisturiser.
I know I should use a moisturiser with an SPF in it, but they feel too thick. I compromise in the summer by using a tinted moisturiser which means I'm only protected for half the year.

Well, just to prove nothing is certain I've changed my mind!

I was given Clinique's Super City Block SPF 40 for Christmas and used it today for the first time. So far, fabulous

Well, just to prove nothing is certain I've changed my mind!

I was given Clinique's Super City Block SPF 40 for Christmas and used it today for the first time. So far, fabulous

Sounds good - is that tinted? You've just reminded me, I got a sample of Clinique's tinted moinsturiser earlier this year and I've remembered that I did really like it, so is the City Block a moisturiser too?

It's got a slight beige tint to it netscat, but it does not really tint, it seems to blend in. I wonder if it is just there to stop the typical white cast that most sunscreens have.
It's oil-free and sold as a mineral (contains zinc) sunscreen/ primer so no, I wouldn't say it's a moisturiser as such, yet it slips over the skin easily. I use it after I've put on my Lacura (Aldi) serum.

I think it is meant just to stop the white cast & blend in to most skins. But be warned, if you are very, very pale like me it does give you a dirty beige look instead of disappearing.

I have to start using a moisturiser with spf every day (I said this about 6 months ago!). I have a patch of pigmentation which is slowly getting worse. I use Liz Earle superskin morning and night, but there is no spf, so its time to find an spf one for the day and just use the LE at night. I have dry skin - any advice would be appreciated.

I use Jerome Alexander's Italian Marble powder...it works wonders for me, and despite having mega dry skin, it doesn't dry it out any further. Only problem I have with it, is it's a bit crumbly so apply it over the kitchen sink...however Ready to Wear marble powder another IW brand is far less "dusty" and probably better quality all round...when my JA's run out I'll probably buy the ready to wear again..it was unavailable for a while.

I have to start using a moisturiser with spf every day (I said this about 6 months ago!). I have a patch of pigmentation which is slowly getting worse. I use Liz Earle superskin morning and night, but there is no spf, so its time to find an spf one for the day and just use the LE at night. I have dry skin - any advice would be appreciated.

I use a suncream everyday as I have Roscea (and I do think its the best anti ageing cream you can buy!) and I do have to say Ultrasun is my fave.

I use a suncream everyday as I have Roscea (and I do think its the best anti ageing cream you can buy!) and I do have to say Ultrasun is my fave.

I have heard this before. I have trouble thinking of a suncream as a moisturiser. Ultrasun seems very popular, I might give it a go.

I wouldn't use ultrasun abroad - it was rubbish when I used it in tenerife this year - but I love to wear it every day here - I think its made a huge difference to my face and its a good base for make up too.

Latest posts

Back