£60 stocking filler anyone?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My aunt gives stockings with nuts, oranges, sweets etc to her daughters. They are in their thirties!

I'm afraid I live on the same planet as you craftybel lol a stocking filler is usually wee inexpensive presents that can be opened on christmas morning but are not part of the main presents.

I was in Debenhams today and I thought of this thread. They were selling stocking fillers at £5 each or 3 for £10. At least they've got it right!

My aunt gives stockings with nuts, oranges, sweets etc to her daughters. They are in their thirties!

I do the same for my son & daughter (and their partners) and they are all in their 30's. If I didn't do it there would be hell to pay!

Have just been discussing this thread with my OH and he's just said that QVC are stuck in 1997 before everyone's finances went t*ts up!! They are no longer living in the real world.

Good point, well made I thought!!

Awful tactics! £57 is a huge amount of money - and in the current climate every purchase (for me at least) is very very considered these days and indeed this Christmas. I have had to seriously reconsider where every single penny goes this year as have many others and I find this sort of statement (and lets be honest when you break it down it's £57 for less than half a teaspoon of product in some fancy packaging) totally angers me.

Another case in point last night was Jill Franks, who was urging people to buy EMU slippers at over £40 (which OK, is not as much - and as a present would last much longer) but then saying why not buy all the different colours together as well as they'd make great 'stocking fillers'...I'm with minim here - when I was a kid, a stocking filler was chocolate...and not much else!!!

I never had a stocking!!!!!!:rain: I did get a diary wrapped on its own usually.

Never mind Donna, neither did I. I always got books from my parents. "Just as well you're bright" said my father "because your face is never going to be your fortune." Probably why I have always spoilt myself with beauty products and pretty things when I grew up.

Awful tactics! £57 is a huge amount of money - and in the current climate every purchase (for me at least) is very very considered these days and indeed this Christmas. I have had to seriously reconsider where every single penny goes this year as have many others and I find this sort of statement (and lets be honest when you break it down it's £57 for less than half a teaspoon of product in some fancy packaging) totally angers me.

Another case in point last night was Jill Franks, who was urging people to buy EMU slippers at over £40 (which OK, is not as much - and as a present would last much longer) but then saying why not buy all the different colours together as well as they'd make great 'stocking fillers'...I'm with minim here - when I was a kid, a stocking filler was chocolate...and not much else!!!

Totally agree. It's just barmy and irresponsible.

Never mind Donna, neither did I. I always got books from my parents. "Just as well you're bright" said my father "because your face is never going to be your fortune." Probably why I have always spoilt myself with beauty products and pretty things when I grew up.

He was teasing right...?

Throughout the year I get items from Avon's clearance leaflet and special offers and put it by to make a goodie bag for my daughter at Christmas I do this every year for her and she loves the surprise of opening it up on the day. Both my son and daughter have never asked for any particular thing at Christmas I just keep an eye on their likes. They are 34 and 30 respectively and throughout their childhood when I lived at home in Scotland, there was such a lot of unemployment they understood that things were hard and we would do out best some years were better than others but not once did the moan or put demands on me.
Moving to England from Scotland when they were in their early teens I found it such an eye opener at the amount of presents other kids would get for Christmases and birthdays, and also the demands I sometimes witness from them to their parents.

My mother god rest her, would have keeled over had she been alive to witness such a thing and when I was growing up it never occurred to you to give your parent a request for a certain thing and what you did receive you were very happy with and I can always remember getting walnuts in my stocking along with tangerines, wrapped toffees, apples and a few coins.

piper

Sorry to say he wasn't minin and it still hurts all these years later. At least there is man in my life now who thinks I'm beautiful. Still prefer cats to people though!

I'm sure you are beautiful.

I have to wonder what damaged him, because that kernel of something nasty was something in him, not you.

Was it only me who couldn't wait to get to the sugar mouse in the toe every year?

Oh, I'd forgotten about sugar mice. Used to love the anticipation of eating one but they were always a bit too sweet for me,more's the pity!

Sorry to say he wasn't minin and it still hurts all these years later. At least there is man in my life now who thinks I'm beautiful. Still prefer cats to people though!

here have a (((((hug))))). your face, beautiful or not is the product of his genes so *pphhhbbbttttt* (i need a raspberry smiley)

Did anyone see the newspaper report that the item most requested by three year olds visiting Santa at Selfridges was the iPad?

I love a selection box at Christmas. Julian makes me laugh when he talks about trying to eat Christmas dinner after having selection box for breakfast, he seems more in touch with reality than some presenters.

Did anyone see the newspaper report that the item most requested by three year olds visiting Santa at Selfridges was the iPad?

I love a selection box at Christmas. Julian makes me laugh when he talks about trying to eat Christmas dinner after having selection box for breakfast, he seems more in touch with reality than some presenters.

This reminds me of when I was a little 'un we ate mince pies for breakfast on Christmas Day and consequently spent all day feeling sick! I hardly ever got through my Christmas Dinner, it was the only day of the year I didn't have a 'sensible' breakfast of porridge.

As for the Ipad request by 3 year olds it makes me feel more alienated than ever from today's bonkers society. Mind you the only Santa I visited was the one in the local market so I obviously didn't mix in the right circles....ah for the days of Northern small town life in the 60's/70's....couldn't wait to get away when I was 20+ but would go back in a flash now.

Latest posts

Back