Zawadi Sapphire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
Just flicked over & saw part of this show.Can't say I am at all keen on the look of this stone even though it is well out of my price range.It reminds me of Mother of Pearl in a dull brown colour.Of course we all have different taste, anyone gone for a piece?Hope it is more 'special' in the flesh than it appears on screen.

I don't like brown coloured gems or any colour to be honest, if it's not a diamond, I ain't interested.

I do like their song "Tiger Feet" though, I remember dancing to it at my junior school disco...........oh sorry no wait! that was Showaddywaddy. :mysmilie_17:

Close, Shopperholic...they'll be selling Mud before you know it! :mysmilie_8:

It didn't strike me as exactly "pretty" and there's an element of the Emperor's new clothes about some of these new stones!

Close, Shopperholic...they'll be selling Mud before you know it! :mysmilie_8:

It didn't strike me as exactly "pretty" and there's an element of the Emperor's new clothes about some of these new stones!

Sorry Akimbo you're right! Zawadi I mean Showaddywaddy sang "Under The Moon Of Love" (that was danced to as well) but yes, Mud should be making its debut soon. :mysmilie_17:

I agree about the stones, I bet they cost roughly £3.20 and the rest was for the gold.

The stones were nothing special at all. A dull colour with no sparkle. No thank you and certainly not at them prices.

I am a real jewellery junkie but it didn't do anything for me. The settings were better than the usual claw settings but unless it is better in real life I would prefer smokey Quartz which at least has some life to it.

At least it was something different but I doubt we will ever see it back on our screens other than clearance.

It reminds me of a dull labradorite
I googled Zawadi Sapphire and the only reference I could find is on Q's own website. and a couple of american websites, so not much info about it and certainly not enough to justify the price.

I had a nose on the website to see these. Are they suppose to be colour change? Otherwise I see no point in them. Gems sell sort of brownish sapphires which colour change so I thought these would be the same idea.

I love coloured stones(apart from Smokey Quartz, which I really see no point in. Oh and black diamonds weird how they seemed to take off), diamonds boring also the ethics of where they come from Blood Diamonds.

I was about to post something about this - then saw yours! I started to watch, because they had Gem Hunter Gavin Lindsell on, and I liked listening to him when he used to appear on Rocks & Co. It was a bit more of a poshed-up version of him yesterday - obviously Q told him to smarten up! I so agree with what you've said - the stone reminded me of a very pale version of Smoky Quartz - and the price! Well, 'overpriced' is the word I'd use. Personally, if I don't like the look of the gemstone I just wouldn't buy it, however "rare" or "sought-after" it's said to be. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't rate this stone at all.

Just flicked over & saw part of this show.Can't say I am at all keen on the look of this stone even though it is well out of my price range.It reminds me of Mother of Pearl in a dull brown colour.Of course we all have different taste, anyone gone for a piece?Hope it is more 'special' in the flesh than it appears on screen.

I missed the hour but wanted to see it as I adore smoky quartz. And I do have a brown star sapphire so I assume this would be similar to that brown sapphire but from what I can see it isn't. It seemed to be slightly included. Like rutile quartz now I've seen the videos.

Smoky quartz is possibly my favourite stone. I love the rich, chocolate hues with a rich gold light inside but you really have to pick and choose and its not popular this days do finding it set in gold isn't easy.

In the good old days before the hike in gold prices, and when Q regularly brought us 'new gemstones', I remember the Blueberry Quartz being 'pushed' as being mined as this colour along with another gem - Iolite, so I went deep into the net and discovered it was a heat treated dyed quartz which was never mentioned on air at Q. I then followed this up with letters to the Trades Description Office with a copy to Q - well, it wasn't very long before Charlie mentioned at the start of the Blueberry Quartz programme, that it was indeed a heat treated gemstone. Clearly they didn't do their homework.

Many stones are heat treated, even Tanzanite which I've seen in red and white, as well as the blue.

If you like Smoky Quartz and would consider having your own piece of jewellery made set in gold, I'd recommend watching Gem Collector on their website when presenter Alex McKay is on. He is by far the most knowledgeable presenter (comes from a family of jewellers) and if you are looking for a stone with lots of lovely golden highlights, and of a certain size, I'm sure he'd be able to help. You can message him at the studio direct when he's on. I've bought a few loose gemstones from them, including a Smoky Quartz, which has the lovely gold tones and highlights that you love.

I missed the hour but wanted to see it as I adore smoky quartz. And I do have a brown star sapphire so I assume this would be similar to that brown sapphire but from what I can see it isn't. It seemed to be slightly included. Like rutile quartz now I've seen the videos.

Smoky quartz is possibly my favourite stone. I love the rich, chocolate hues with a rich gold light inside but you really have to pick and choose and its not popular this days do finding it set in gold isn't easy.

So right brissles, - you do have to do your own homework, as they don't tell you during the shows. And in fairness, it isn't only Q who are reticent on that subject, either, it's all of the channels, although I'm sure they should tell you every time (and your post seems to illustrate that Trades Descriptions would agree). I'd never recommend anyone buying any gemstones without looking online first, because all the hype on-screen often hides the fact that they are relatively inexpensive quartz stones that have been treated. At the end of the day, you buy what you like, but you should be in possession of the facts first.

In the good old days before the hike in gold prices, and when Q regularly brought us 'new gemstones', I remember the Blueberry Quartz being 'pushed' as being mined as this colour along with another gem - Iolite, so I went deep into the net and discovered it was a heat treated dyed quartz which was never mentioned on air at Q. I then followed this up with letters to the Trades Description Office with a copy to Q - well, it wasn't very long before Charlie mentioned at the start of the Blueberry Quartz programme, that it was indeed a heat treated gemstone. Clearly they didn't do their homework.

Many stones are heat treated, even Tanzanite which I've seen in red and white, as well as the blue.

If you like Smoky Quartz and would consider having your own piece of jewellery made set in gold, I'd recommend watching Gem Collector on their website when presenter Alex McKay is on. He is by far the most knowledgeable presenter (comes from a family of jewellers) and if you are looking for a stone with lots of lovely golden highlights, and of a certain size, I'm sure he'd be able to help. You can message him at the studio direct when he's on. I've bought a few loose gemstones from them, including a Smoky Quartz, which has the lovely gold tones and highlights that you love.

I actually did have a SQ ring made for me in October of last year. I had inherited some money and had wanted a SQ in rose gold for a long time with nothing coming up in the precise design I wanted. So my local jeweller made it for me. Its very simple and classic but exactly what I wanted. Its stunning and I'm so pleased with it. Its a oblong cushion cut set high on a surround of diamonds in rose gold. Wasn't cheap but it was less than I had earmarked so I was very happy.

He also made my engagement ring which is morganite and diamonds in rose gold.

I was about to post something about this - then saw yours! I started to watch, because they had Gem Hunter Gavin Lindsell on, and I liked listening to him when he used to appear on Rocks & Co. It was a bit more of a poshed-up version of him yesterday - obviously Q told him to smarten up! I so agree with what you've said - the stone reminded me of a very pale version of Smoky Quartz - and the price! Well, 'overpriced' is the word I'd use. Personally, if I don't like the look of the gemstone I just wouldn't buy it, however "rare" or "sought-after" it's said to be. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't rate this stone at all.

Personally I think most of QVC jewellery is overpriced. At least with Gems you know were the stones come from and not sure QVC tell you.

The rings sound lovely, glad you got what you wanted.

I actually did have a SQ ring made for me in October of last year. I had inherited some money and had wanted a SQ in rose gold for a long time with nothing coming up in the precise design I wanted. So my local jeweller made it for me. Its very simple and classic but exactly what I wanted. Its stunning and I'm so pleased with it. Its a oblong cushion cut set high on a surround of diamonds in rose gold. Wasn't cheap but it was less than I had earmarked so I was very happy.

He also made my engagement ring which is morganite and diamonds in rose gold.

Personally I think most of QVC jewellery is overpriced. At least with Gems you know were the stones come from and not sure QVC tell you.

My problem with Gems is that the quality is so hit and miss. I've had amazing pieces and dreadful quality for the same price. I went through a phase where everything I ordered had to be sent back so I stopped ordering. Shame really as I've had a few really nice pieces. Haven't ordered for years.

Also, a few years back now, La Q did lots of different, interesting semi precious stones set into silver. I love the different stones so that suited my preference. They don't do them these days really at all. Don't buy much jewellery from La Q either these days. Bit of Lola Rose and the odd simple eek ring but that's my lot.

The rings sound lovely, glad you got what you wanted.

I did. Great minds think alike though and if hadn't already your suggestion would have prompted me to do something about it. Having pieces made isn't necessarily something that everyone would think of. Choosing the central stone was great fun. The difference in the stones was interesting to see even though he had ordered in the colour selection I wanted. I let him choose the diamonds though ... much better than me! And I let him push me towards 9ct gold because of the colour. Looking at 9ct rose gold next to 18ct with the stone I wanted in the centre I chose on colour. I chose 9ct as he thought I would. Interesting process.

Latest posts

Back