Zawadi Sapphire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In the good old days before the hike in gold prices, and when Q regularly brought us 'new gemstones', I remember the Blueberry Quartz being 'pushed' as being mined as this colour along with another gem - Iolite, so I went deep into the net and discovered it was a heat treated dyed quartz which was never mentioned on air at Q. I then followed this up with letters to the Trades Description Office with a copy to Q - well, it wasn't very long before Charlie mentioned at the start of the Blueberry Quartz programme, that it was indeed a heat treated gemstone. Clearly they didn't do their homework.

Many stones are heat treated, even Tanzanite which I've seen in red and white, as well as the blue.

The problem with Blueberry Quartz was there also a faux stone called that so I remember on here loads saying it wasn't a real gemstone. Plenty of this one on Ebay dirt cheap from China. I did a good search and it turned out yes there was a faux stone called that, but in fact the one on QVC was heated treated version of Amethyst. Seems that only certain of the Amethyst quartz will turn the deep blue/purple shade when heated? I did buy a ring in clearance as Amethyst is my birthday stone. Mine which I still wear is east to west with tiny diamonds and white gold. I remember most of the rings had big stones which is not my style. You never hear of it now, surprised one of the other jewellery channels doesn't do it.

Gems TV sell green, pink and by coloured Tanzanite now. Yes Tanzanite the rarest gemstone of them all, which had only one mine and it would run out in 10 years. Yet well passed that is still widely sold.

I used to buy from Gems about 9/10 years back and got some pretty rings with good gold weights at good prices. Then moved to Ebay as quite a few started selling off their Gems stuff on there at great prices. Star Ruby with diamonds heavy gold weight, Pink Sapphire and diamond again great gold weight. Most sent the info card with the jewellery.

QVC jewellery clearance used to be really good too. I even bought EEk in 14ct gold(I always went for small stones either channel or Swiss set), usually just over £20. I have a Yellow Beryl with two aquamarines white gold ring bought in clearance, still get asked if its a yellow diamond:mysmilie_17:

It sounds quite an experience, Tinkerbelle! You've now convinced me to consider having a piece made, so the saving up starts here! Lovely to have something that's made just for you, and is exactly what you've visualised.

I did. Great minds think alike though and if hadn't already your suggestion would have prompted me to do something about it. Having pieces made isn't necessarily something that everyone would think of. Choosing the central stone was great fun. The difference in the stones was interesting to see even though he had ordered in the colour selection I wanted. I let him choose the diamonds though ... much better than me! And I let him push me towards 9ct gold because of the colour. Looking at 9ct rose gold next to 18ct with the stone I wanted in the centre I chose on colour. I chose 9ct as he thought I would. Interesting process.

Ah, those were the days! You reminded me that about 8 years ago on Gems they used to do £20 and £30 hours of gold jewellery - and OK, although some of the items were small gold weights, many of the gold weights weren't bad at all, and the items all contained genuine gemstones. I bought a couple of items, and still wear them, especially a Rubellite ring. Do you remember the occasional £1 auctions, too? I was never successful, but tried a few times.

The problem with Blueberry Quartz was there also a faux stone called that so I remember on here loads saying it wasn't a real gemstone. Plenty of this one on Ebay dirt cheap from China. I did a good search and it turned out yes there was a faux stone called that, but in fact the one on QVC was heated treated version of Amethyst. Seems that only certain of the Amethyst quartz will turn the deep blue/purple shade when heated? I did buy a ring in clearance as Amethyst is my birthday stone. Mine which I still wear is east to west with tiny diamonds and white gold. I remember most of the rings had big stones which is not my style. You never hear of it now, surprised one of the other jewellery channels doesn't do it.

Gems TV sell green, pink and by coloured Tanzanite now. Yes Tanzanite the rarest gemstone of them all, which had only one mine and it would run out in 10 years. Yet well passed that is still widely sold.

I used to buy from Gems about 9/10 years back and got some pretty rings with good gold weights at good prices. Then moved to Ebay as quite a few started selling off their Gems stuff on there at great prices. Star Ruby with diamonds heavy gold weight, Pink Sapphire and diamond again great gold weight. Most sent the info card with the jewellery.

QVC jewellery clearance used to be really good too. I even bought EEk in 14ct gold(I always went for small stones either channel or Swiss set), usually just over £20. I have a Yellow Beryl with two aquamarines white gold ring bought in clearance, still get asked if its a yellow diamond:mysmilie_17:

It sounds quite an experience, Tinkerbelle! You've now convinced me to consider having a piece made, so the saving up starts here! Lovely to have something that's made just for you, and is exactly what you've visualised.

Brilliant!! How exciting. Anything particular in mind? I really wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I learnt so much about SQ ... colour and cut particularly and what cut works best with the stone and what doesn't. And how the best colour/quality stones are always in the most suitable cuts for the stone, because they're too beautiful to mess about with basically. On the strength of that I actually changed from a square to an oblong.

My advice would be chat to a jeweller first about the stones you want and then build your idea but always be guided by the jeweller. My morganite ring was expensive because of the stone. It isn't heat treated so I paid the price for its natural beauty but it is 110% colour stable. The SQ was probably more than you might expect but you couldn't buy either in a jewellers shop so price comparison is irrelevant really. And I didn't buy either ... didn't buy the morganite at all lol ... for investment.

Edited to add ... lower quality and heat treated morganite becomes cloudy with wear so needs regular cleaning. Top quality needs occasional cleaning only, as all jewellery does.

Thanks for all the info. and advice, Tinkerbelle, very helpful. I'm thinking about having a ring, using a loose natural Aquamarine stone I got from Gems 'back in the day'...and probably set in white gold, which I love, although as you say the jeweller will always offer advice, and it might be that with a 'cool' colour like Aquamarine, the warmth of yellow gold would be better. We have a small independent jewellers in the local high street that's been there since the 1930's, so I'll head for them first and ask their opinion. Like you, I'm attracted to natural stones - your Morganite stone sounds beautiful.

Brilliant!! How exciting. Anything particular in mind? I really wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I learnt so much about SQ ... colour and cut particularly and what cut works best with the stone and what doesn't. And how the best colour/quality stones are always in the most suitable cuts for the stone, because they're too beautiful to mess about with basically. On the strength of that I actually changed from a square to an oblong.

My advice would be chat to a jeweller first about the stones you want and then build your idea but always be guided by the jeweller. My morganite ring was expensive because of the stone. It isn't heat treated so I paid the price for its natural beauty but it is 110% colour stable. The SQ was probably more than you might expect but you couldn't buy either in a jewellers shop so price comparison is irrelevant really. And I didn't buy either ... didn't buy the morganite at all lol ... for investment.

Edited to add ... lower quality and heat treated morganite becomes cloudy with wear so needs regular cleaning. Top quality needs occasional cleaning only, as all jewellery does.

the one on QVC was heated treated version of Amethyst. Seems that only certain of the Amethyst quartz will turn the deep blue/purple shade when heated? I did buy a ring in clearance as Amethyst is my birthday stone.

Well that's just spooky D, I bought a couple of BQ in Last Clicks for exactly the same reason and they are a beautiful colour. If anything I prefer them to the usual Amethyst colour, apart from the deepest richest purple ones. (also a Feb baby!)

You all sound very knowledgeable which just goes to show you need to know what you are buying as some of these pieces ( well I would call them) a financial investment.
Just an off track question! I have several pieces of older/antique jewellery (with a reputable jeweller's valuation certificates).I would like to sell but don't know where to start to be sure of getting the correct price.Any Advice? thanks.

Just flicked over & saw part of this show.Can't say I am at all keen on the look of this stone even though it is well out of my price range.It reminds me of Mother of Pearl in a dull brown colour.Of course we all have different taste, anyone gone for a piece?Hope it is more 'special' in the flesh than it appears on screen.

Only saw some of this and didn't like it and some pieces were very pricey! Not a fan :mysmilie_5:

Hi Silver Fox - do you have a jewellers nearby that also sells secondhand and antique pieces? You could ask in there, or alternatively what about an auction house that does jewellery auctions? Sometimes auction houses have special days when you can pop in and ask for advice (one near me used to do that, don't know if they still do, but I took a couple of pieces in and they gave me a verbal valuation for free). Might be an idea to ring first and see what the situation is. Speaking personally, I'd beware of taking your lovely pieces into a modern jewellers, as you're unlikely to get accurate advice on antique pieces. Some antiques and collectors magazines used let readers send in photos of their pieces, with a written description of any marks, etc. on the piece, and they would print some of the photos and offer advice as to date, origins and value (I remember "Homes & Antiques" magazine did this, whether they still do, I don't know). Failing that, your household insurance company might know of a reputable local valuer, perhaps? Good luck, and hope you get some pleasant surprises when the pieces are valued!

You all sound very knowledgeable which just goes to show you need to know what you are buying as some of these pieces ( well I would call them) a financial investment.
Just an off track question! I have several pieces of older/antique jewellery (with a reputable jeweller's valuation certificates).I would like to sell but don't know where to start to be sure of getting the correct price.Any Advice? thanks.

Last edited:
Tinker bell ,I need a bit of info .For bespoke pieces is it over £ 500 .I wanted to make a pendant .Just need to know if small jewellers are diff than the big known ones and do all make bespoke jewellery .Thanks so much .

The jewellers I've used in the past to make custom pieces have never charged a design fee. I think some jewellers do. The first two pieces I had done were years ago. A ring to match a bracelet that I had bought from this particular jeweller as a stand alone piece. I think that was about £150. Then I asked him to make a gold tie pin (based on a design he already sold as a pendant and earrings) as a retirement gift and that was a similar price. Both my engagement ring and my SQ ring were over £500 but we saved money on the SQ ring by using a design that the jeweller had already made in white gold with a few different central stone choices. So I think to have mine made in rose gold with the stone of my choice was about £60 more than the price of the ones he had in his shop.

Designing your own piece means you are subject to the current price of gold which can work in your favour or against.

Even though I had had a few pieces made it didn't really occur to me until a year or more into my search for this SQ ring to have it made. I just thought it would be there somewhere. And it was a bit like a lightening bolt when I thought I know what this looks like in my mind's eye so why don't I have it made. The design just isn't that unusual as rings go but it was the combination of the design, the gold and the SQ that I wasn't finding anywhere.

Oh and sorry I should have said, I don't think all jewellers do make custom pieces. Places like jewellery quarter in Birmingham might be a good choice. I used a jewellery designer for the first two and a more traditional jeweller for the second two.

I live in Surrey and there are a lot of independent jewellery designers here. They have their shops of course but do design their own pieces. I've used Simon Pure if you happen to live in Surrey.

Latest posts

Back