You know you are old when....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I remember Mum saving up to buy her favourite perfume (Je Reviens - by Worth, I think) - and those Fisherman's Friend strong cough lozenges (other brands are available)! My Dad swore by those on icy winter mornings, when he had to leave very early for work - at the age of about 12 I think I swore when he persuaded me to try one - yuk! Do they still produce them, I wonder?

I remember Mum saving up to buy her favourite perfume (Je Reviens - by Worth, I think) - and those Fisherman's Friend strong cough lozenges (other brands are available)! My Dad swore by those on icy winter mornings, when he had to leave very early for work - at the age of about 12 I think I swore when he persuaded me to try one - yuk! Do they still produce them, I wonder?

Yes still made not too far from me in Fleetwood.

I grew up on the Fylde coast and we always had RI last period on a Friday afternoon, we'd dare each other to put multiple Fishermans Friends in our mouths - tears rolling down our cheeks. It somewhat back-fired when someone suggested saccharine tablets and three people threw up.

Oh yes Je Reviens, thought we were sooo sophisticated. Yes you can still get Fisherman Friends, I like them. Do you remember the tiny black lozenges, Little Imps??????

Oh yes Je Reviens, thought we were sooo sophisticated. Yes you can still get Fisherman Friends, I like them. Do you remember the tiny black lozenges, Little Imps??????

Fisherman's Friends and Victory V are my first go to if I have a sore throat. I can quite easily put a full packet in my mouth at one go, love them. I like Little Imps as well but can no longer get them where I live.

Fisherman's Friends and Victory V are my first go to if I have a sore throat. I can quite easily put a full packet in my mouth at one go, love them. I like Little Imps as well but can no longer get them where I live.

I think I have seen Little Imps in one of the pound shops. Victory V's and Fisherman Friends great when you have a cold.

Jolie Madame (1953) by Pierre Balmain was mine, I wore it often as a teen and into my early 20s, I also loved all (and still) the Guerlain fragrances and these are mainly what I buy these days, I remember when the family Guerlain were still involved with the company and said that if you got a girl in her teens liking a Guerlain fragrance, she would be a customer for life, and that's absolutely true. Every time I see or smell Blue Grass by Arden I think about my late mother, she loved it. Another favourite of mine in the 70s was Famme by Rochas even as I type I feel as if I can smell it.

I was a huge fan of the late Gianni Versace, who brought out his signature fragrance which I wore solely for years until his horrible sister took it off the market, I still would love to get some but it's long gone.

I get really annoyed when I get called "love "or "dear "by younger people as though Ive lost my marbles.Im not that old but I never got called those things when I was younger.

I was called "wifey" by some young lads. Me! A Wifey? That's someone that wears a rainmate and has little furry bootees with zips up the side (commonly known as Uggs or Emus now :mysmilie_17:)

CC

I am enjoying reading people's trips down memory lane. It's really got me thinking. When we first came back to his country we used to have things delivered by the milkman on a milk float. I'd never seen these funny little electric vans before. Sometimes if the milk was left early (5am) in the winter it would freeze and burst through the foil cap on the top of the bottle. I remember teletext. I also remember getting cable TV with a control box on the wall to change channels.

The 80s were brilliant years. I just wish I'd been a bit older. I'd like to have seen the 60s and 70s too.

Does anyone remember the shops where they put the money in a cylinder and it went on overhead lines to the accounts office.

My first job was in an accounts office and we had a really posh one which went down tubes all over the building rather than overhead.

Our large Tesco uses the tube system.

I remember washing on the line freezing and becoming completely stiff, a shirt would stand up on its own. But somehow, it still dried.

I had a suit with drainpipe trousers, very narrow lapels, very slim cut jacket.

Funnily enough, I still have it! Last time I tried it on, I could still wear it. Not sure about now, but I am optimistic, must try it sometime to see ;)

I remember wearing Biba fashion the first time round, wearing Dolcis crepe soled t bar shoes, sporting a Demi wave and knocking back a crafty half of lager and blackcurrant at the local " Disco"!!

I also remember wearing a really sticky lip gloss from a rollerball type thing and wearing a perfume called Smitty :)
Ah yes I remember the rollerball lip glosses! They were called Maybelline kissing potions and they did several flavours. I remember having the Coca Cola flavour and the lemon ( my friend had the spearmint and orange flavours! ) They were really, really shiny! A quick slick of them then it was off to the youth club, picking up a packet of juicy fruit chewing gum on the way! Lol!

I remember Fisherman's Friend. There were different coloured packs - a white one, a minty green one and a mustard yellow one. From what I remember of them they were vile, horrid aniseedy little oval-shaped lozenges. Hated them! I remember my grandmother used to buy sweets called "Hacks" which were these great big black things. I used to like the mint toffees in the green and gold wrappers.

Yes they do - my window cleaner offered my 6 year old one the other day- I remember my grandad giving me one at about the same age and I'm 51!

Oh these posts have brought back lots of memories. My lovely husband has posted on Facebook that it is nearly 50 years since we first met!!!!!!!

Unfortunately if you take out many years when I couldn't afford expensive perfume and then about 30 years when I couldn't have anything perfumed within a mile of me I don't have many memories of perfume.

Even today it is only the very odd one I can wear and they are so expensive so I tend not to experiment. The only one I can wear without problems is Gucci II (pink one) but not other Gucci ones.

The other day I was reading about Amazing Grace by Philosophy and wondered what it was like.

I was just thinking about my Mum who is 86 now- she spotted a love bite on my neck when I was 16 (which was the only one I've ever had) and she went absolutely bonkers at me,said it was the sign of a loose woman!!!

Latest posts

Back